Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snooker: Aussie reaches final

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!

Snooker: Aussie reaches final

There are some snooker fans hiding around CW, so I thought I'd post a thread to commemorate the first Aussie ranking tournament final appearance since the 1970s (at least from what I can dig out of Wikipedia).

The bloke in question is Neil Robertson from Melbourne, who reached the final of the Grand Prix tournament in Aberdeen. He started a bit shabbily in the tournament, losing 2-3 to Nigel Bond, but due to the round robin system he survived thanks to wins in the next four games, and he's simply got better and better during the knockouts. He beat Andrew Norman 5-3, then Ronnie O'Sullivan 5-1 (!) and today he went down 0-2 against the only remaining Scot, Alan McManus - only to play fantastic snooker and win the next six frames. He rounded off by potting black on the top after rebounding off the baulk cushion - amazing shot.

He'll meet Jamie Cope, two years his junior, who's also been great in this tournament - I think he'd have struggled if he met John Higgins, but Higgins was ridden by errors in his QF against Mark King, who was no match for Cope and lost 3-6. Cope has, among other things, made a 147 in the tournament, and smashed Ken Doherty 5-0 in the last 16. Should be a very good final tomorrow.

Now, let's see if any Aussies have actually heard of the bloke...
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Breakout Champion!
    Decent player. Good luck to him.

Not a fan of the new format of the Grand Prix, though. Group stages are open to abuse and I hate the shorter matches. The fact that one ranking tournament consists of games so much shorter than all the other ranking tournaments is a farce, too. It's like Twenty20 games going towards Test rankings.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    I've heard of a few of the others you mentioned, but not the Australian. Snooker gets very little coverage in Australia. There's the occasional match on pay TV at 3 in the morning, but that's it. If an Australian won a major tournament it'd make the news, but it wouldn't get shown on TV.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    I've heard of a few of the others you mentioned, but not the Australian.
    Ever heard of Quinten Hann? He was another aussie snooker player. Was a ****ing tool. Recently banned for 8 years for match fixing.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steds
    Ever heard of Quinten Hann? He was another aussie snooker player. Was a ****ing tool. Recently banned for 8 years for match fixing.

From Wagga I believe. Complete and utter moron.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Decent player. Good luck to him.

Not a fan of the new format of the Grand Prix, though. Group stages are open to abuse and I hate the shorter matches. The fact that one ranking tournament consists of games so much shorter than all the other ranking tournaments is a farce, too. It's like Twenty20 games going towards Test rankings.
    Well the players get well over 20 frames to try and make the last 16, so I don't see what's wrong with it personally. The players usually play in mini-sessions of 4 frames anyway, the likes of Dott moaning about is pretty pathetic really. I mean the guy would do away with snooker if he had the chance because he's so dire to watch, it's not his place to go whingeing in public about it (his brother is a Scrabble player and he whinged just as much when 5 point penalty challenges were mooted on the Scrabble mailing list, threatened to quit the game).
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Wasn't he the fella who had a boxing match with another player? Mark King, possibly?

Hadn't heard about the ban. A tool tho, as you say.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    the likes of Dott moaning about is pretty pathetic really. I mean the guy would do away with snooker if he had the chance because he's so dire to watch
    My favourite player, actually.

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    Wasn't he the fella who had a boxing match with another player? Mark King, possibly?
    Yup. Wiki says he also has his nose broken in a boxing match with a gaelic footballer.

He's taken Frame 4 from Cope's back pocket. Needed Reds and Blacks to win by 1 point. He got Reds and Blacks, and now leads by 3-1.
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Breakout Champion!
    That break to win the 4th frame was more or less perfect.

He looks pretty talented. Cope isn't going to be able to pot his way to wins for his whole career.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information