• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pro Cycling Thread

Craig

World Traveller
Foor those that are interested:

The Stages

Prologue - July 7: London - London, 8 km
Stage 1 - July 8: London - Canterbury, 203 km
Stage 2 - July 9: Dunkirk - Gent, 167 km
Stage 3 - July 10: Waregem - Compiègne, 236 km
Stage 4 - July 11: Villers-Cotterêts - Joigny, 190 km
Stage 5 - July 12: Chablis - Autun, 184 km
Stage 6 - July 13: Semur-en-Auxois - Bourg-en-Bresse, 200 km
Stage 7 - July 14: Bourg-en-Bresse - Le-Grand-Bornand, 197 km
Stage 8 - July 15: Le-Grand-Bornand - Tignes, 165 km
Rest Day - July 16: Tignes
Stage 9 - July 17: Val-d’Isère - Briançon, 161 km
Stage 10 - July 18: Tallard - Marseille, 229 km
Stage 11 - July 19: Marseille - Montpellier, 180 km
Stage 12 - July 20: Montpellier - Castres, 179 km
Stage 13 - July 21: Albi - Albi, 54 km
Stage 14 - July 22: Mazamet - Plateau-de-Beille, 197 km
Stage 15 - July 23: Foix - Loudenvielle - Le Louron, 196 km
Rest Day - July 24: Pau
Stage 16 - July 25: Orthez - Gourette - Col d’Aubisque, 218 km
Stage 17 - July 26: Pau - Castelsarrasin, 188 km
Stage 18 - July 27: Cahors - Angoulême, 210 km
Stage 19 - July 28: Cognac - Angoulême, 55 km
Stage 20 - July 29: Marcoussis - Paris Champs-Élysées, 130 km
Total Length: 3547 km

Mountain stages:

Stage 7, Bourg-en-Bresse - Le-Grand-Bornand, 197 km
Km 35: Côte de Corlier, 5,9 km at a 5,5%
Km 122: Côte des Petits-Bois, 7,1 km at a 4,4%
Km 134: Côte Peguin, 4,3 km at a 4,1%
Km 183: Col de la Colombière, 16 km at a 6,7%

Stage 8, Le-Grand-Bornand - Tignes, 165 km
Km 15: Col du Marais, 3.8 km at a 4.1%
Km 21: Côte du Bouchet-Mont-Charvin, 1.6 km at a 7.6%
Km 46: Col de Tamié, 9.5 km at a 4%
Km 99: Cormet de Roselend, 19.9 km at a 6%
Km 137: Montée de Hauteville, 15.3 km at a 4.7%
Km 163: Le Lac (Tignes), 17.9 km at a 5.5%

Stage 9, Val-d’Isère - Briançon, 161 km
Km 15: Col de l’Iseran, 15 km at a 6%
Km 99: Col du Télégraphe, 12 km at a 6.7%
Km 122: Col du Galibier, 17.5 km at a 6.9%

Stage 14, Mazamet - Plateau-de-Beille, 197 km
Km 9: Côte de Sarraille, 9 km at a 5.2%
Km 146: Port de Pailhères, 16.8 km at a 7.2%
Km 197: Plateau-de-Beille, 15.9 km at a 7.9%

Stage 15, Foix - Loudenvielle - Le Louron, 196 km
Km 27: Col de Port, 11.4 km at a 5.3%
Km 98: Col de Portet d’Aspet, 5.7 km at a 6.9%
Km 114: Col de Menté, 7 km at a 8.1%
Km 159: Port de Balès, 19.2 km at a 6.2%
Km 184: Col de Peyresourde, 9.7 km at a 7.8%

Stage 16, Orthez - Gourette - Col d’Aubisque, 218 km
Km 81: Col de Larraut, 14.2 km at a 8%
Km 132: Col de la Pierre Saint-Martin, 14 km at a 5.2%
Km 175: Col de Marie-Blanque, 9.3 km at a 7.7%
Km 218: Col d’Aubisque, 16.4 km at a 6.9%

(from cyclingnews.com)

Stage 8 looks the one of the more brutal days with so much climbing to be done and it will be one of thosew days where I guy who wants to win the King of the Mountains comp will go in a break and try and snatch up as many points as possible. To bad about the lack of Team time trial or a ITT in the first week, but it is good to see the hills early on a race. Stages 2, 3, 4 look to be promising as they go through some roads used in the famous cobbled classics. And don't be surprised to see a British rider leading the race on stage 1.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Think i probably go and watch either the prologue or the first stage. Will be good to see one of the greatest sporting events in the world.

Craig

World Traveller
If you go to the Prolouge, my advice is to get there really early if you want a good viewing spot.

Matteh

I'll definitely make the trip down there i reckon. Poor North-Western France though IMO.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
The first week needs a make over badly, last year was dire with only the finish on the Cauburg to stand out. Hopefully next years will break it up a bit more...

Craig

World Traveller
Well it goes over the routes for Flanders, Ghent-Wevelgem, and Paris-Roubaix so I think the speeds will be very quick especially if they go over some of the famed cobble stone sectors which could very well split the bunch up (see Iban Mayo in 2004) and rivals could lose time.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
Craig said:
Well it goes over the routes for Flanders, Ghent-Wevelgem, and Paris-Roubaix so I think the speeds will be very quick especially if they go over some of the famed cobble stone sectors which could very well split the bunch up (see Iban Mayo in 2004) and rivals could lose time.
Mayo went down on the cobbled section that year didn't he?

Will be interesting to see which teams Ullrich and Basso end up at, now that they are cleared from the OP fiasco, Basso at Discovery could be a return to the years of Lance type racing…

Cloete

International Captain
thewizard1o1 said:
Mayo went down on the cobbled section that year didn't he?

Will be interesting to see which teams Ullrich and Basso end up at, now that they are cleared from the OP fiasco, Basso at Discovery could be a return to the years of Lance type racing…
Please no.

Hope to see Ivan riding well again, just for anyone BUT discovery. Would like him at Davitamon Lotto preferably :D

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
Cloete said:
Please no.

Hope to see Ivan riding well again, just for anyone BUT discovery. Would like him at Davitamon Lotto preferably :D
Working for Cadel? :laugh: The goss is either Disco or a Italian second division team (whould allow him to shape it to suit himself...)

Levi might not like him going to disco much either:wacko:

Craig

World Traveller
Levi side in a recent interview that he would have no problem with it, mind you Basso said he would ask to do to the Giro as well so that is problem number 1 solved (personally I think that should be Yaroslav Popovych's aim).

Milram are said to be interested, but with two top sprinters in the team i fail to see where they could find the room for him in the budget.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
Based on his performance in last years tour, I'd like to see Popovych set himself for the Hilly Classics at the end of April, i don't think h has it in him for the grand tours. But the year before he did a super job working for Lance the year before, so who knows :wacko:

Matteh

Hopefully might get a couple more Brits in the tour this year too, (looking at Hammond and Cavendish) but i doubt they'll get picked for it.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
They could get selected Matteh, Hammond will be a good chance of a stage win in the cobbled stages early on and with a big motor he could be valuable if t-mob decide they need to control the peloton for whatever reason. Cavendish is less likely to go, but may end up being Ciolek's or Eisel's lead out man. Will depend a lot on how confident T-Mobile is in their GC guys???

The young Irish lad at confidis could get a start...if you wish to claim him :D

Matteh

thewizard1o1 said:
They could get selected Matteh, Hammond will be a good chance of a stage win in the cobbled stages early on and with a big motor he could be valuable if t-mob decide they need to control the peloton for whatever reason.
Hammond showed in the Tour of Britain he could sprint as fast as Tom Boonen. Given a proper team and not the 'Great Britain' basically U-19s he had then he stand a better chance to win some stages.
With Millar and Wiggins you're basically in 'Boardman mode' looking at the Prologue for them to win a stage.

Craig

World Traveller
thewizard1o1 said:
They could get selected Matteh, Hammond will be a good chance of a stage win in the cobbled stages early on and with a big motor he could be valuable if t-mob decide they need to control the peloton for whatever reason. Cavendish is less likely to go, but may end up being Ciolek's or Eisel's lead out man. Will depend a lot on how confident T-Mobile is in their GC guys???

The young Irish lad at confidis could get a start...if you wish to claim him :D
Well it is good for Australia that Michael Rogers will be the head honcho for T-Mobile. Actually have a fair few Australians and Kiwis in the team.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
The clean out doesn't seem to have left Rogers with alot of help for the big climbs thou...

Edit: Craig did you catch the mountain finish in the Herald Sun tour? Would like to know your thoughts on the jobs done by Lowe and Lloyd on the final climb. Both looked very good to me :D

Craig

World Traveller
thewizard1o1 said:
The clean out doesn't seem to have left Rogers with alot of help for the big climbs thou...
He will probably have Axel Merckx, Serhiy Honchar, Patrik Sinkewitz, Michael Barry (good for the lower slopes and is another Discovey man defecting across) and Guiseppe Guerini, while the up and coming Linus Gerdemann could get drafted in. So that is possibily 6 members right there, from there it will be fight out between Eisel, Kirchen, Schrek and Bernucci for the last two or three spots. I think that will be their Tour squad right there.

thewizard1o1 said:
Edit: Craig did you catch the mountain finish in the Herald Sun tour? Would like to know your thoughts on the jobs done by Lowe and Lloyd on the final climb. Both looked very good to me :D
Unfortunatly not as the highlights were on too late for me:(

But as far as I read he has done a great job and I can't wait to see him ride in the ProTour, the two mentioned plus Matthew Goss (wore the leader's yellow jersey in the Tour of Britian) seem to be Australia's best young prospects, especially with the teams they will ride for '07 suggests they have something going their way.

Matteh

Craig said:
Matthew Goss (wore the leader's yellow jersey in the Tour of Britian)
He was really unlucky not to win that tbh. Must be so annoying whilst leading a race to have to pull out because your body has said no.