• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pro Cycling Thread

Craig

World Traveller
He's 36 or 37

Took his 200th career win last year. Won two stages of the Vuelta and was just done on the line by Bettini in the World Championships in Salzburg.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Oscar Freire.

Wouldn't mind Thor Hushovd, but I have doubts about when it comes to such long distances.
Can't see him getting over Poggio, myself. (Yes, it's tiny, but Hushovd's a heavy bloke and does have problems with long-distance races too, and the only domestique he can hope to get with him over is Bellotti. Maybe Mads too, he raced well in California.)

I'll tip Pozzato.

Craig

World Traveller
Thor Hushovd is not starting due to gastroenteritis. Really if you looked up one man band in cycling, then Credit Agricole would have to take the prize. Without Thor IMO they are about the same as Bouygues Telecom. I must admit they are my favourite French team and Pierrick Fedrigo is perhaps my favourite French rider. At least you know what you are going to get from them and can't fault them for having a go as well.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Oscar Freire.

Wouldn't mind Thor Hushovd, but I have doubts about when it comes to such long distances. Ideally I wouldn't mind Samuel Sanchez (probably the only guy at Euskaltel Euskadi who does anything these days) or Erik Zabel to win, but I will stick with Freire when in all likelyhood Tom Boonen will win (if Paolo Bettini doesn't have a crack himself).
:notworthy

Well picked. Milram messed up their sprint (Zabel led out Petacchi, then finished sixth and Petacchi eighth) and even Allan Davis beat Tommeke. Fun race. :)

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thor Hushovd is not starting due to gastroenteritis. Really if you looked up one man band in cycling, then Credit Agricole would have to take the prize. Without Thor IMO they are about the same as Bouygues Telecom. I must admit they are my favourite French team and Pierrick Fedrigo is perhaps my favourite French rider. At least you know what you are going to get from them and can't fault them for having a go as well.
I like CA/Gan purely for the Boardman link myself. :sleep:

Craig

World Traveller
:notworthy

Well picked. Milram messed up their sprint (Zabel led out Petacchi, then finished sixth and Petacchi eighth) and even Allan Davis beat Tommeke. Fun race. :)
Did you see Gerolsteiner's Andrea Moletta's crash? Ouch and the now the majority of his season is gone, if he will be lucky to ride at all this year.

Craig

World Traveller
I like CA/Gan purely for the Boardman link myself. :sleep:
Thought you might like to know:

In MSR, the best placed Brit was Jeremy Hunt at 16th, Roger Hammond came in at 42nd spot, Steve Cummings in 64th sport and David Miller in at 72nd spot. Unless ASO change their minds (don't see it happening), then you could see all of those riders, bar Cummings all lining up in London.

Matteh

Thought you might like to know:

In MSR, the best placed Brit was Jeremy Hunt at 16th, Roger Hammond came in at 42nd spot, Steve Cummings in 64th sport and David Miller in at 72nd spot. Unless ASO change their minds (don't see it happening), then you could see all of those riders, bar Cummings all lining up in London.
Was looking to see if cyclingnews had any pictures of Moletta the other day and came across the full results. Thought Hammond might have finished a bit higher tbh.

Craig

World Traveller
With Leif Hoste not starting Ghent-Wevelgem, and Tom Boonen not giving a rats arse about it, George Hincapie currently injured, he is a strong chance of taking it home IMO if he doesn't crash in Flanders again.

Hammond or Alessandro Ballan of Lampre to win it.

Craig

World Traveller
In the track world champs GB won gold with Victoria Pendleton and Shanaze Reade in the Woman's Team Sprint, and Bradley Wiggins winning the Men's individual pursuit and thrashing former World Champion Robert Bartko by catching him.

Meanwhile tonight Roger Hammond leads T-Mobile in E3 Prijs Vlaanderen, and he will have good support in 2001 Paris-Roubaix winner Servais Knaven (also a stage winner in the 2003 TdF).

Craig

World Traveller
Unless it was a cunning April Fools Day prank, ASO have said the TdF will start in Dubai with an uphill time trial. The only difference is that it will be indoors held in the Mall of Emirates and finishing at their uphill ski hill :mellow:While Sir Richard Branson is considering sponsoring a Pro Tour team, most likely the new sponsor for Discovery Channel.

And yes it was all a big joke :laugh:

Last edited:

Matteh

Saw that and didn't really care much about it tbh. The guy's retired so not much will happen.

Craig

World Traveller
Craigos. Need to up my average speed, any advice/tips etc?
Try doing intervals, pick a spot for about 400-500m and just ride that little bit quicker (anything from up to 5-10km/h), and have about three of them at least and keep doing that (maybe once or twice a week) and gradually things will get quicker.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Any thoughts on tomorrows Ronde van Vlaanderen?

Looks like they'll have good weather, so Boonen should win; he's the strongest of the lot. Sort of rate Nuyens, but he's probably not good enough to win with a such a starting field.

Craig

World Traveller
Any thoughts on tomorrows Ronde van Vlaanderen?

Looks like they'll have good weather, so Boonen should win; he's the strongest of the lot. Sort of rate Nuyens, but he's probably not good enough to win with a such a starting field.
Fabian Cancellara for mine.

Has a good team behind him and is proven on the cobbles, and is the world time trial champion so if he can break off on his own, if anybody can stay away on their own to the line, it will be him (like in Roubaix last year). Also he has said this a goal for him.

On the other hand I think Boonen will miss Nick Nuyens and Filippo Pozzato and how will Bettini and van Petegem react if Boonen asks them to chase down an attack from say Pozzato or Cancellara or by Leif Hoste? van Petegem is a two time former winner of the RVV and Bettini has made no secret this is one of his races he wants to win. There could be chaos which is why I think it could fall in CSC's way.

I also expect good rides from those riders plus from Alessandro Ballan, Juan Antonio Flecha (one of the few Spanish riders who likes the cobblestones, unlike Mayo :p), and Roger Hammond. Quite a few British riders on the start lists.

Oh and if any Euskatel-Euskadi rider actually finishes the race it shall be considered a bonus :p