• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pro Cycling Thread

Craig

World Traveller
It should be August.

I'm seeing the last ten days or so of the Tour and then stay on to October if that it is possible. I might have to scramble for a Work Permit to try and find a job to earn some cash.

Doing a bar job is out of the question.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sign up for it is today. Takes place on July 1st, so i'll pay the £40 so i'm in and then force my mum to make it a birthday present (birthday is June 30th) and therefore won't cost me anything right now. :cool:

Matteh

L'Etape but here in Britain of 1st stage of the Tour.

Signed up for it, just need to put in some practice between now and then so that i make the distance. :)

Craig

World Traveller
Het Volk and Kuurne - Brussels - Kuurne on this weekend.

I think Boonen will get Het Vok and I'm going for Roger Hammond to get Kuurne. Though other names include Flippo Pozzato (Liqugas and out to show up Quick Step), Leif Hoste (Predictor-Lotto), Juan Antonio Flecha (Rabobank), defending Het Vok champ Philippe Gilbert (FDJ), Nick Nuyens (Cofidis), Nico Matten (DFL-Cyclingnews-Litespeed, and yes that is a British registed team), and a good outsider would be Stijn Devolder (Discovery).

There is no Hincapie after he broke his hand/wrist in a fall at the Tour of California, he is almost near certain to miss Flanders, Paris-Roubaix as well.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
PVP, Flecha and Stewy O'Grady will be in the mix to me thinks...Doubt Boonen will go all out in this race, with some bigger goals just around the corner.

Craig

World Traveller
PVP, Flecha and Stewy O'Grady will be in the mix to me thinks...Doubt Boonen will go all out in this race, with some bigger goals just around the corner.
Van Petegem has nothing these days. Since winning Flanders and Roubaix in 2003, he hasn't won not a single race since :mellow:

That is dire for a man who supposed to challenge and win classics on the cobblestones.

Het Volk and Kuurne - Brussels - Kuurne on this weekend.

I think Boonen will get Het Vok and I'm going for Roger Hammond to get Kuurne. Though other names include Flippo Pozzato (Liqugas and out to show up Quick Step), Leif Hoste (Predictor-Lotto), Juan Antonio Flecha (Rabobank), defending Het Vok champ Philippe Gilbert (FDJ), Nick Nuyens (Cofidis), Nico Matten (DFL-Cyclingnews-Litespeed, and yes that is a British registed team), and a good outsider would be Stijn Devolder (Discovery).

There is no Hincapie after he broke his hand/wrist in a fall at the Tour of California, he is almost near certain to miss Flanders, Paris-Roubaix as well.
Well Pozzato got it. Always been a big talent but hasn't always had his head in the right spot and the chance to lead a team, an Italian one especially is a great chance instead of working for Boonen and Bettini (I'm amazed those two haven't fallen out yet since they bith want to win San Remo and Flanders). I guess you know somebody has ability when they win Tirreno - Adriatico at a young age, picked up a Tour stage win, one the oneday race in Hamburg in 2005 and won Milan-San Remo ahead of a chasing bunch. If the finishing line were another 200-300m he would have been caught.

Wow...could be no Paris-Nice this year with ASO and UCI fighting like school kids....
The ProTour has potential IMO, but they need to scrape some races, one the Eindhoven Team Time Trial, has about as much relevence as an English friendly against Japan or some other random team before a World Cup or European Championships, especially when there isn't a TTT in the Tour. The Tour of Poland is a good domestic race and should be left there, it is no point in making a team like Bouygues Telecom to Poland when they have more important races in France to do. The ENECO Tour, we have the Tours of Belgium and Luxembourg, and bring back the Tour of Holland, this has no history or relevence, especially when a good percentage of riders climbed off on the last stage. The give the likes of the Tour of Britian or the Tour Down Under a chance, or have a rotating spot in the ProTour, the South Australian government is really pushing for this race, and both races in the ProTour would do wonders for the sport in Britian and Australia respectively. Eventually add the Tour of California in.

Last edited:

Matteh

That's so tempting but I just know I'd die somewhere near Ashford.
The thing sold out all 5000 official places within 24 hours which i'm quite impressed with tbh. Ashford is a fair distance along the route in all fairness, it's the first category 4 climb after 100km at Tonbridge that's got me slightly worried. Will feel great inside if i manage to complete it. :happy:

Matteh

13 Roger Hammond (GBr) T-Mobile Team

Not bad. Should win a race by the end of the season tbh.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Yeah, I saw that when I had a look. Which ended the "shall I just go for the hell of it" thoughts. Category 4 shouldn't be too bad, should it? It's only 1-2kn at 4/5%, that's just a steep road... there's worse than that trying to get out of Exeter in places... though the "after 100km of riding" bit does admittedly make it trickier.

Matteh

Yeah, I saw that when I had a look. Which ended the "shall I just go for the hell of it" thoughts. Category 4 shouldn't be too bad, should it? It's only 1-2kn at 4/5%, that's just a steep road... there's worse than that trying to get out of Exeter in places... though the "after 100km of riding" bit does admittedly make it trickier.
All the hills around me tend to be very short but steep hills, tend to struggle up some of them but the longer, less steep ones i find aren't as bad.

Profile of Stage 1:

Craig

World Traveller
At the Driedaagse van West Vlaanderen (Literally meaning 3 days of West Flanders), there is a smal Belgian team by the name of Babes Only-Villapark Langemeer-Flanders.

:laugh: Dire name

Matteh

At the Driedaagse van West Vlaanderen (Literally meaning 3 days of West Flanders), there is a smal Belgian team by the name of Babes Only-Villapark Langemeer-Flanders.

:laugh: Dire name
Even an Aston Villa link in that name as if it wasn't dire enough. :mellow: