Page 23 of 45 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 345 of 670

Thread: Pro Cycling Thread

  1. #331
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    22,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Hunter View Post
    How often do break aways like these actually work out for the riders involved? i mean, i don't think i've ever seen one work, maybe only once or twice at best, so whats the point?
    Get their face some airtime, gets their team some airtime, can pick up the most combatant points, break on the offchance that it'll work (Oscar Pereiro anyone?), a breakaway usually picks up most the sprint/mountain points/time bonuses as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

  2. #332
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    22,939
    Quote Originally Posted by alternative View Post
    Results so far

    Mathew Mitchell - 57 pts (22nd place)
    Håkon Mørk - 48 pts (184th place)
    Neil Pickup - 43 pts (285th place)
    Manjunath Reddlapalli - 39 pts (340th place)
    Craig Walsh - 33 pts (424th Place)
    Greg Thomas - 32 pts (437th Place)
    Jeff Rangers - 24 pts (514th place)
    Gun.

  3. #333
    State Vice-Captain JBMAC's Avatar
    Mahjong Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Qld/Australia
    Posts
    1,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Hunter View Post
    How often do break aways like these actually work out for the riders involved? i mean, i don't think i've ever seen one work, maybe only once or twice at best, so whats the point?
    The last of Armstrong race....his final...it was in the mountains and both Hincapie and Martinez broke away like this and each won that particular stage.
    Keep Your Feet on The Ground,Keep Reaching for The Stars!

  4. #334
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    22,939
    Cancellara did pretty well there. Went at exactly the right moment to catch the breakaway and beat the sprinters.


  5. #335
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    45,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubb View Post
    Yeah England is such a parochial little island isn't it? I can't stand it sometimes, the whole nation is run by ignorant, xenophobic Daily Mail readers. But you musn't think we are all like that. I mean I support whoever I like regardless of nationality and I think most people do. Such behaviour tends to be confined to the right-wing press.

    The crowds have been really impressive. I normally make contributions to Tour threads but since this particular thread started I am going to look like a five-minute fan. Maybe I am, but I do love the Tour, ever since 1994 (when I was 8) I've watched it.
    Speaking of the Daily Mail, I don't read it, but saw this in Richard Williams's column in today's Guardain. Link:

    http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/20..._their_pa.html

    Millar's tell-tale sorrow

    The Daily Mail outdid itself on Saturday, welcoming the Tour de France to London by "exposing" Robert Millar, the Scot who won the King of the Mountains jersey in 1984 and now lives quietly in an English village, apparently as a woman. It's an old story - or at least an old rumour - and contributed the only sour note to an otherwise astonishingly enjoyable weekend for sport. Millar, the only Briton to finish a Tour in a winning jersey of any colour, is an authentic hero with the right to live the rest of his life as he pleases. The Mail is a rag.


    Obviously it's Millar's right to live however he pleases, but I nearly dropped my lunchtime pint when I read it! Can't help but wonder if the drugs he used during his cycling career have had any affect. IIRC he was pinged for excess testosterone once upon a time.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

  6. #336
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    22,939
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Speaking of the Daily Mail, I don't read it, but saw this in Richard Williams's column in today's Guardain. Link:

    http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/20..._their_pa.html

    Millar's tell-tale sorrow

    The Daily Mail outdid itself on Saturday, welcoming the Tour de France to London by "exposing" Robert Millar, the Scot who won the King of the Mountains jersey in 1984 and now lives quietly in an English village, apparently as a woman. It's an old story - or at least an old rumour - and contributed the only sour note to an otherwise astonishingly enjoyable weekend for sport. Millar, the only Briton to finish a Tour in a winning jersey of any colour, is an authentic hero with the right to live the rest of his life as he pleases. The Mail is a rag.


    Obviously it's Millar's right to live however he pleases, but I nearly dropped my lunchtime pint when I read it! Can't help but wonder if the drugs he used during his cycling career have had any affect. IIRC he was pinged for excess testosterone once upon a time.
    http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=1064202007

    The Scotsman rehashed the Daily Mail article, but what interests me is the comments on it. Everyone is disgusted that it was printed, given that it's fairly needless.

    What i find most suprising about Robert Millar is that he's no relation to David Millar.

  7. #337
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Hunter View Post
    How often do break aways like these actually work out for the riders involved? i mean, i don't think i've ever seen one work, maybe only once or twice at best, so whats the point?
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    Get their face some airtime, gets their team some airtime, can pick up the most combatant points, break on the offchance that it'll work (Oscar Pereiro anyone?), a breakaway usually picks up most the sprint/mountain points/time bonuses as well.
    As Mitchell said and you never know what could happen. This break nearly succeded but as typical nobody is going to help anybody, and why would you? Why do a big long turn on the front and only for the rest of the break to go past you and get the win? If there were two guys from the one team in a break then it is a different story, but not if it is four rival teams. There are some guys who base their whole careers on being in random crazy breakaway attempts, Jacky Durand being the most notable one. And besides it is an unwritten rule for a smaller team to send guys up the road anyway.

    Fair play to Cancellara though, deadset his tighs must be bigger then your average flyweight Spanish climber.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

  8. #338
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    22,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    As Mitchell said and you never know what could happen. This break nearly succeded but as typical nobody is going to help anybody, and why would you? Why do a big long turn on the front and only for the rest of the break to go past you and get the win? If there were two guys from the one team in a break then it is a different story, but not if it is four rival teams. There are some guys who base their whole careers on being in random crazy breakaway attempts, Jacky Durand being the most notable one. And besides it is an unwritten rule for a smaller team to send guys up the road anyway.

    Fair play to Cancellara though, deadset his tighs must be bigger then your average flyweight Spanish climber.
    But obviously too big to make him a decent climber for some reason. Astana haven't done much this week, but as soon as we hit the Alps i expect them to make their presence felt much greater.

  9. #339
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    22,939
    After Stage 3:

    Håkon Mørk 106 (71st) [58]
    Mathew Mitchell 100 (129th) [43]
    Neil Pickup 100 (129th) [58]
    Manjunath Reddlapalli 80 (316th) [41]
    Craig Walsh 70 (405th) [37]
    Greg Thomas 64 (448th) [32]
    Jeff Rangers 46 (534th) [22]

    First number - Total points
    Second number - Overall Rank
    Third number - Points earned into today's stage.

  10. #340
    Cricket Web Content Updater alternative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    11,114
    Good thing i looked at this thread before updating the scores.
    Member of the AAAS
    Member of CW Green | Stedingham Jets Grade Cricket Team | Northside Power

    Manager of South Australia (WCC)

    Winner of AFL Tipping 2006 | Winner of Wimbeldon Prediction 2006

  11. #341
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    After Stage 3:

    Håkon Mørk 106 (71st) [58]
    Mathew Mitchell 100 (129th) [43]
    Neil Pickup 100 (129th) [58]
    Manjunath Reddlapalli 80 (316th) [41]
    Craig Walsh 70 (405th) [37]
    Greg Thomas 64 (448th) [32]
    Jeff Rangers 46 (534th) [22]

    First number - Total points
    Second number - Overall Rank
    Third number - Points earned into today's stage.
    No concerned just yet though. Although if Boonen or McEwen win it will be handy for me. My lot should come into fore during the Alps, and Pyrennes.

  12. #342
    International Debutant thewizard1o1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Here, There, Everywhere.
    Posts
    2,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    As Mitchell said and you never know what could happen. This break nearly succeded but as typical nobody is going to help anybody, and why would you? Why do a big long turn on the front and only for the rest of the break to go past you and get the win? If there were two guys from the one team in a break then it is a different story, but not if it is four rival teams. There are some guys who base their whole careers on being in random crazy breakaway attempts, Jacky Durand being the most notable one. And besides it is an unwritten rule for a smaller team to send guys up the road anyway.

    Fair play to Cancellara though, deadset his tighs must be bigger then your average flyweight Spanish climber.
    It reminded my of the good old CM4 days (just riding away from the front of the bunch at the end of the stage .

    Would it be fair to say that Cancellara is some what similar to pre cancer lance? (in terms of body size and shape as well as favourite terrain...)

  13. #343
    Hall of Fame Member Johnners's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    As Mitchell said and you never know what could happen. This break nearly succeded but as typical nobody is going to help anybody, and why would you? Why do a big long turn on the front and only for the rest of the break to go past you and get the win? If there were two guys from the one team in a break then it is a different story, but not if it is four rival teams. There are some guys who base their whole careers on being in random crazy breakaway attempts, Jacky Durand being the most notable one. And besides it is an unwritten rule for a smaller team to send guys up the road anyway.

    Fair play to Cancellara though, deadset his tighs must be bigger then your average flyweight Spanish climber.
    Thought he was Swiss?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

  14. #344
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Clapo View Post
    Thought he was Swiss?
    He is.

    Spain has a history of producing climbers (since there are a lot of mountains there) and then not weighting a great deal.

  15. #345
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    22,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    No concerned just yet though. Although if Boonen or McEwen win it will be handy for me. My lot should come into fore during the Alps, and Pyrennes.
    Did notice that your team wasn't quite as sprinter friendly as mine. Thinking Haakon will struggle in the mountains given that he has 8 out of the 15 as sprinters.

Page 23 of 45 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. *Official* Sri Lankan Domestic Cricket Thread
    By chaminda_00 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 12-11-2007, 01:01 PM
  2. the goodbye thread
    By cover drive man in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 146
    Last Post: 17-04-2007, 07:08 AM
  3. Formula 1 Prediction Thread - 2007
    By biased indian in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 16-04-2007, 04:47 AM
  4. The thread of international goodwill and fellowship
    By Matt79 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 17-03-2007, 03:30 AM
  5. **Official** South Africa in India Thread
    By Neil Pickup in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 453
    Last Post: 08-12-2004, 07:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •