• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pro Cycling Thread

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
After Stage 9:

Håkon Mørk 302 (22nd) [9]
Mathew Mitchell 287 (83rd) [27]
Neil Pickup 251 (280th) [19]
Manjunath Reddlapalli 221 (397th) [19]
Craig Walsh 192 (494th) [24]
Greg Thomas 180 (517th) [36]
jeff rangers 123 (593th) [28]

A lone breakaway from a relative unknown paid off, all the leaders finished at more or less the same time except for Kasheckin who had to go back and help out Vinokourov, who now looks completely out of the race for the GC. Interestingly Rasmussen now appears to have some competition from today's stage winner Soler, who picked up 79 from the 3 big climbs of the day.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
How much of a lead do you think Rasmussen needs to win this thing? Or, in other words, how much will he lose in the TTs?

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
How much of a lead do you think Rasmussen needs to win this thing? Or, in other words, how much will he lose in the TTs?
Needs another largish breakaway in the Pyrenees (sp?) in my books, but I don't really know what I'm talking about.

On that topic, can anyone answer a fairly simple question: when Gerdermann won on Saturday, he climbed competently and didn't look like he was struggling. Was his performance today, well down on the main contenders, directly a result of his efforts on Saturday taking a lot out of him or is it just a case of it not being his day today?

Matteh

Needs another largish breakaway in the Pyrenees (sp?) in my books, but I don't really know what I'm talking about.

On that topic, can anyone answer a fairly simple question: when Gerdermann won on Saturday, he climbed competently and didn't look like he was struggling. Was his performance today, well down on the main contenders, directly a result of his efforts on Saturday taking a lot out of him or is it just a case of it not being his day today?
Would imagine that it would have a bit, but also these are steeper gradients for more km than that hill was, so the fact Rasmussen et al are better climbers really shows through. Gerdemann obviously isn't a bad climber shown by the fact he didn't finish way down today, but he's not in the elite either.

Johnners

Evans ftw, i was surprised he still had the legs to sort of sprint to the finish tbh, does 3rd place get a time bonus?

I was quite impressed by Contador's climbing, he'll win it one day imo.

Matteh

Pyrenees look tough as this year. It's basically where Rasmussen could win it for himself.

JBMAC

State Captain
Thing is, if he attacks everyone will be on his wheel right away (see Moreau on Sunday). And I'm not sure he's strong enough to maul from the front.

I believe he is strong enough but the question must be asked..."Is he Hungry enough"?

Chubb

International Regular
Last night I was thinking about famous breakaways (prompted by Liggett and Sherwen talking about Roger Walkowiak) and I remember Cedric Vasseur's lone breakaway that won him the yellow jersey... I think that's the only time I've seen a lone breakaway come off on a flat stage (I think it was in the Vendee region, which is pancake-flat). I was young when it happened and it made a great impression on me at the time. Does anyone else remember it?
Vasseur takes the stage, experience showed through at the finish... ten years after his lone breakaway. He was implicated in a doping scandal at Cofidis a few years ago though.

Dark Hunter

State Vice-Captain
Well that was a pretty amazing stage last night. The quickest i've ever seen as well, that breakaway peleton cut down 7 minutes in about 30 km, it was crazy. Was anyone else hoping that Vinokourov(sp?) would win outright when he tried to break with about 4k to go? Feel sorry for him myself, i hope he can somehow make it back into contention.

JBMAC

State Captain
Well that was a pretty amazing stage last night. The quickest i've ever seen as well, that breakaway peleton cut down 7 minutes in about 30 km, it was crazy. Was anyone else hoping that Vinokourov(sp?) would win outright when he tried to break with about 4k to go? Feel sorry for him myself, i hope he can somehow make it back into contention.

I think he will be strong in The Pyrennes

Matteh

After stage 12:

Håkon Mørk 365 (25nd) [63]
Mathew Mitchell 335 (118rd) [48]
Neil Pickup 295 (287th) [44]
Manjunath Reddlapalli 261 (386th) [38]
Craig Walsh 228 (480th) [12]
Greg Thomas 198 (535th) [18]
jeff rangers 125 (599th) [12]