• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pro Cycling Thread

Craig

World Traveller
Wiggins out to 12.25 now :unsure:

What are the odds of him staying away?

Make that 14.00.

Last edited:

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
I suppose they might let him get away - he's not going to be a threat to the overall GC once they get into the mountains, even if he is the virtual leader at the moment. It depends on whether CSC can be arsed to expend energy and chase him down for the sake of Cancellara having one more day in yellow.

I suppose Quickstep, Predictor-Lotto and Milram might help set it up for a sprint - C.A have already said they won't be chasing becasue Thor's not on top form today.

Last edited:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
haha, fair effort, 1 would imagine that he can't keep that up much longer, especially if he's by himself.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Wiggins being reeled in by the peloton - down to 2'36 with 38km remaining.

Surprised to see Charteau on the front of the peloton for C.A - maybe Hushovd's feeling better? Or maybe they're pulling for Dean?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Wiggins being reeled in by the peloton - down to 2'36 with 38km remaining.

Surprised to see Charteau on the front of the peloton for C.A - maybe Hushovd's feeling better? Or maybe they're pulling for Dean?
Nah, he was okay all along. The back sorted itself. Hushovd fifth today, they struggled a bit with contact between Dean and Hushovd. Boonen finally wins a stage, so is level with Hushovd again in the career tally. :p

Matteh

Haakon's sprint heavy team has done rather well so far itbt.

Håkon Mørk 275 (34th) [72]
Mathew Mitchell 231 (164th) [55]
Neil Pickup 212 (225th) [45]
Manjunath Reddlapalli 172 (356th) [41]
Craig Walsh 124 (472st) [22]
Greg Thomas 108 (512th) [18]
jeff rangers 80 (555th) [12]

Johnners

Is it just me, or did Vinokurov (sp?) lose another minute that stage? (thought he was only 1 minute behind at the end of stage 5)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Is it just me, or did Vinokurov (sp?) lose another minute that stage? (thought he was only 1 minute behind at the end of stage 5)
Nah, he lost 1'20" yesterday, 20" on the day when Cancellara won a stage, and 30" on the prologue. Total 2'10".

Craig

World Traveller
Well done Tom Boonen.

Interesting to note that the pace was only 37.29 km/h on average. I would assume that would take in the speeds from the last 5km when the lead outs begin.

Matteh

Given what day it is, i'm saying a frenchman will win, so i'm going with Chavanel.

Craig

World Traveller
Given what day it is, i'm saying a frenchman will win, so i'm going with Chavanel.
The leading group:

Egoi Martinez (Discovery Channel), Linus Gerdemann (T-Mobile), Benoît Vaugrenard (Française des Jeux), Ruben Perez Moreno (Euskaltel - Euskadi), Paolo Savoldelli (Astana), Dmitriy Fofonov (Crédit Agricole) and Laurent Lefevre (Bouygues Telecom)

Two Frenchmen there. Mind you Egoi Martinez has said this is a stage he wants to win, in that I mean it is his goal for the year.

Craig

World Traveller
The leading group:

Egoi Martinez (Discovery Channel), Linus Gerdemann (T-Mobile), Benoît Vaugrenard (Française des Jeux), Ruben Perez Moreno (Euskaltel - Euskadi), Paolo Savoldelli (Astana), Dmitriy Fofonov (Crédit Agricole) and Laurent Lefevre (Bouygues Telecom)

Two Frenchmen there. Mind you Egoi Martinez has said this is a stage he wants to win, in that I mean it is his goal for the year.
Break now: Egoi Martínez (Discovery Channel), Linus Gerdemann (T-Mobile), Benoît Vaugrenard (Française des Jeux), Rubén Pérez Moreno (Euskaltel - Euskadi), Paolo Savoldelli (Astana), Dmitriy Fofonov (Crédit Agricole), Iñigo Landaluze (Euskaltel-Euskadi), David De La Fuente (Saunier Duval-Prodir), Laurent Lefevre (Bouygues Telecom), Bram Tankink (Quickstep), Juan Antonio Flecha (Rabobank) and José Ivan Gutierrez (Caisse d'Epargne) @ 5.07 (Cancellar is still up there)

Surely the break will succed with 12 guys in it? Plus Fabian Wegmann (Gerolsteiner), Martin Elmiger (Ag2r Prévoyance) and Jérôme Pineau (Bouygues Telecom) at 0.40 trying to bridge the gap.

Matteh

Those 3 have caught up now. Certainly looks like it might, will certainly be ahead coming up to the climb.

Johnners

Fair ride from Gerdemann on that stage, i didn't think he was going to hold on when he was about 1km away from the Summit. Also, does anyone else get annoyed when watching the crowd leave so little room for the riders when they were climbing? Surely that has to be distracting for the riders....

Craig

World Traveller
Fair ride from Gerdemann on that stage, i didn't think he was going to hold on when he was about 1km away from the Summit. Also, does anyone else get annoyed when watching the crowd leave so little room for the riders when they were climbing? Surely that has to be distracting for the riders....
Would be pretty scary as well, as who knows what the spectator could do next. Eddy Merckx (the Bradman of cycling) who won 5 Tours (but overall took home more then 530 career wins) was on course to get his 6th when some madman appeared out of the crowd and gave him a hard punch in the stomach, which caused him to lose time and the race.