• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pro Cycling Thread

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Guys, are you able to answer a questin for me please?

McEwan had a 1st, a 7th and I think a 12th after three stages and was ranked overall 50 somethingth.

How can that be? Is it because of points, etc? I thought if u finished wherever in an overall stage, that would reflect your overall position in the race.
He came 148th on the Prologue, so lost 1min 9 seconds to the leader Cancellara. In the stages since, they've both won a stage which negates that time bonus and although he's finished 7th and 12th compared to Cancellara's 22nd and 72nd they both came in at the same time. Which is why McEwen is 58th still 1min 9seconds behind Cancellara.

Craig

World Traveller
Any tips for tonight?

I'm going for a break away to suceed. Been reading on DC's main website thepaceline.com and on their new forums, it has been said whilse it hasn't been confirmed, that George Hincapie has signed for T-Mobile (he and Michael Barry are good mates) worth (US) $1.5m a year. Johan Bruyneel has said in the Spanish media that there is a new sponsor all but lined up (ie the papers are yet to be signed) and unless the budget is really really massive then there is no way they could offer that sort of money (and they have one of the biggest budgets going around).

While Gerolsteiner has come out that if is one more Tour doping scandel they will drop their sponsorship for after next year. So if any non-Gerolsteiner rider is positive then he will have 28 very angry riders giving him some not so nice comments.

Matteh

I'd have said Flecha, but he went on one yesterday. Can't see it being an bunch sprint like yesterday, so reckon someone like Millar or Auge could win it. But i'm going to Charles Wegelius for no real reason.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Think a French rider will do well today tbh. Maybe Calzati or an Agritubel rider (N Jalabert or Simon). CSC will probably give up yellow today, and I cant see the sprinter teams pulling over that second category.

Chubb

International Regular
I'd have said Flecha, but he went on one yesterday. Can't see it being an bunch sprint like yesterday, so reckon someone like Millar or Auge could win it. But i'm going to Charles Wegelius for no real reason.
Wegelius said he'd wait til after the Alps to go for a victory, so I don't think it will be him.

Last night I was thinking about famous breakaways (prompted by Liggett and Sherwen talking about Roger Walkowiak) and I remember Cedric Vasseur's lone breakaway that won him the yellow jersey... I think that's the only time I've seen a lone breakaway come off on a flat stage (I think it was in the Vendee region, which is pancake-flat). I was young when it happened and it made a great impression on me at the time. Does anyone else remember it?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Sylvain Chavanel, Philippe Gilbert and William Bonnet in a breakaway. They've already got six minutes...who wants to chase them?

Craig

World Traveller
Sylvain Chavanel, Philippe Gilbert and William Bonnet in a breakaway. They've already got six minutes...who wants to chase them?
Chavanel is the virtual malliot jaune and it is about time he did something. Coorect me if I am wrong but I don't think he has ever won a stage of Paris-Nice or the Dauphine let alone the Tour. Good on him for being able to get 900k a year though,

Poor Giampaolo Cheula of Barloworld is stuck in no-mans land. Not surprised that Gilbert is in this break, it is perfect for him.

• Peloton at 8.40
  • Giampaolo Cheula (Barloworld) at 2.35

Matteh

Håkon Mørk 201 (43th) [31]
Mathew Mitchell 176 (150th) [25]
Neil Pickup 167 (194th) [10]
Manjunath Reddlapalli 131 (358th) [13]
Craig Walsh 102 (454st) [10]
Greg Thomas 90 (490th) [8]
jeff rangers 68 (552th) [10]

Low scoring stage because, most the genuine sprinters like McEwen and Boonen fell off the back of the peleton.

Vinokourov though, got absolutely shafted by that crash. Slipped down to 81st, and will absolutely have to attack in the mountains.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Håkon Mørk 201 (43th) [31]
Mathew Mitchell 176 (150th) [25]
Neil Pickup 167 (194th) [10]
Manjunath Reddlapalli 131 (358th) [13]
Craig Walsh 102 (454st) [10]
Greg Thomas 90 (490th) [8]
jeff rangers 68 (552th) [10]

Low scoring stage because, most the genuine sprinters like McEwen and Boonen fell off the back of the peleton.

Vinokourov though, got absolutely shafted by that crash. Slipped down to 81st, and will absolutely have to attack in the mountains.
And we learnt what they really think of Kloden as a leader when he went down. But he could have a potential broken tail-bone as a result of his crash. Fair play to Pozzato though, he predicted he would win and he did. Interesting to see how Zabel will go now with the green jersey, always admired him even after what he admitted he did in 1996, I will always have respect for guys who admit to being idiots, which is more then Landis could ever say or the half-arsed confession by Basso.

And I hope Bouygues Telecom get a nice hefty fine because on the DS driving the car like an idiot because he had French TV in the car as well and as a result he had breaked suddendly and DC domestique Benjamin Noval rode right into the back of the car requiring stitches in his arm and chin. Don't know if they could use anathestic because of the drug regulations, but if there was a banned substance and as a result he tested positive it would hardly be his fault.

Matteh

And we learnt what they really think of Kloden as a leader when he went down. But he could have a potential broken tail-bone as a result of his crash. Fair play to Pozzato though, he predicted he would win and he did. Interesting to see how Zabel will go now with the green jersey, always admired him even after what he admitted he did in 1996, I will always have respect for guys who admit to being idiots, which is more then Landis could ever say or the half-arsed confession by Basso.

And I hope Bouygues Telecom get a nice hefty fine because on the DS driving the car like an idiot because he had French TV in the car as well and as a result he had breaked suddendly and DC domestique Benjamin Noval rode right into the back of the car requiring stitches in his arm and chin. Don't know if they could use anathestic because of the drug regulations, but if there was a banned substance and as a result he tested positive it would hardly be his fault.
Didn't see anything about him or Lequatre on the TV but they both ended up pretty hurt, especially Lequatre. Fairplay to him that he even finished the stage, even if it was 44 minutes late.

Zabel - The fact that he admitted it, even if it is rather late is at least something. Same thing with Millar. Have far more respect for these people who doped over those that fight it even when it's pretty obvious. With Landis if it had been any other stage, you might have been willing to give the benefit of the doubt, but as it was the stage with the massive solo breakaway then you think naah.

Craig

World Traveller
Didn't see anything about him or Lequatre on the TV but they both ended up pretty hurt, especially Lequatre. Fairplay to him that he even finished the stage, even if it was 44 minutes late.

Zabel - The fact that he admitted it, even if it is rather late is at least something. Same thing with Millar. Have far more respect for these people who doped over those that fight it even when it's pretty obvious. With Landis if it had been any other stage, you might have been willing to give the benefit of the doubt, but as it was the stage with the massive solo breakaway then you think naah.
When does your coverage begin? Ours is usually the last 100-110 km or in Paris, the whole stage. I saw it after Lequatre went down and he isn't starting.

Matteh

When does your coverage begin? Ours is usually the last 100-110 km or in Paris, the whole stage. I saw it after Lequatre went down and he isn't starting.
Can stream some coverage for the whole stage. The highlights give a basic view of the first 150km and then show the whole of the last 30km. We get some live complete stages on ITV4 at the weekend though. If mum hadn't got rid of Eurosport i could watch it all legally.

Missed all the live stuff yesterday because i slept from 11am-5pm. (n)

Craig

World Traveller
Can stream some coverage for the whole stage. The highlights give a basic view of the first 150km and then show the whole of the last 30km. We get some live complete stages on ITV4 at the weekend though. If mum hadn't got rid of Eurosport i could watch it all legally.

Missed all the live stuff yesterday because i slept from 11am-5pm. (n)
Since 2005, SBS have showed every stage live and in 2004 it used to be every stage on the Sunday night IIRC. They're quite good IMO, we get highlights of 5 out of the 6 spring classics (we don't see Amstel Gold), Tour of Qatar, Romandy, Paris-Nice and last year we got highlights of the Vuelta and the Tour of Britian. Tour aside, it is shown at 11am on Sunday mornings. Still good though.

Anyway when do you think T-Mobile will put out Mark Cavendish? I'll say the Albi time trial stage will be his last. Am tipping Geriant Thomas to go as well by then. Both are 21 and it is no point destorying them now.

Race progress: Bradley Wiggans at 9'30.

Last edited: