Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Pro Cycling Thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Thing is though, i've got more respect for Riijs than i'll ever have for Landis purely because he actually owned up about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Wise choice.

As for pro cycling: it dug a hole 40 years ago and has never got out. (but those who think drug use isn't as endemic in other major professional sports is ignorant. Cycling's finally faced up to it because of the dangers it's putting its own riders in.)
    True.

No way would Shoaib or Asif would have gotten away as easy as they did, and if some of the anti-doping measures put in place by some of the teams applied to cricket, hell would break loose in CC (like a cricket body testing it's Test/ODI team the similar amount of times CSC does, which is between 800-1300 combined tests of all of their squad IIRC) or giving them a mandatory two year ban from all cricket, and then a further two years from all internationals (including Twenty20 ).
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

South African and British registed team Barloword will make their TdF debut after being given a wildcard.

Full list of teams:

AG2r Prévoyance
    Agritubel
    Astana
    Barloworld
    Bouygues Telecom
    Caisse d'Epargne
    Cofidis
    Crédit Agricole
    CSC
    Discovery Channel
    Euskaltel
    Française des Jeux
    Gerolsteiner
    Lampre-Fondital
    Liquigas
    Milram
    Predictor-Lotto
    Quick Step
    Rabobank
    Saunier Duval
    T-Mobile

BTW Simoni won the Zonoclan, while Danilo Di Luca is set to win the Giro and Frank Schlek's younger brother Andy has moved up to second spot overall. Cunego's 2004 Giro win is looking like a fluke for mine at this stage, although he is only 25 and has plenty of time.

Boredmeeting Champion!
    I won the Giro on Cycling Manager 3 with Vinokourov by 1 second from Tyler Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    I won the Giro on Cycling Manager 3 with Vinokourov by 1 second from Tyler Hamilton.
    Hahaha how did you manage that? Go down to a time trial?

Thinking about doing that and trying to win it with Valverde or Mayo. My game is weird though, Georg Totsching leading the race just towards the end of the Pyrennes, with only the stage into Pau to go (haha that rhymes), with Ivan Basso and Roberto Heras in 2nd and 3rd place respectively while Ullrich, Evans, Vino, Kloden, Valverde, Mancebo are well down on overall time and Iban Mayo was a long time leader of the race. I thought once Heras left US Postal he became a pie eater, except for the Vuelta where he drugged up there

Boredmeeting Champion!
    I was about 49 seconds ahead going into the time trial on the last stage. Hamilton has amazing TT skills, certainly about 8 points more than Vino, and pegged it back to only a second. Also had Cadel Evans finish third and he also won the points jersey, Guerini won the mountains jersey and T-Mobile won the team comp by over an hour.

And Mayo finally does something, by winning stage 19 in the Giro.

Funniest thing happened on PCM, in the stage into Revel (239km), I had 3 guys in the break and with 30km to go we had around 32 minutes on the main bunch. Quite clearly they forgot about us.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    And Mayo finally does something, by winning stage 19 in the Giro.

Funniest thing happened on PCM, in the stage into Revel (239km), I had 3 guys in the break and with 30km to go we had around 32 minutes on the main bunch. Quite clearly they forgot about us.
    Pereiro.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Boredmeeting Champion!
    That was so stupid though really, because Landis didn't give a flying fish about the breakaway Pereiro was in, he had to take drugs in order to win a race he was about to lose because of his own tactics.

I can understand CSC no chasing because of Voigt being in the break, but T-Mobile and Rabobank should have gone up the front. IMO T-Mobile should have won even after losing Ullrich and Sevilla. If not they should have capped it at 15 minutes though. Shows the difference with and without Lance Armstrong, as obviously the move would have been chased down straight away, or least get so far (remember what happened in 2001 when they let a break get too much time?)

And I see Zabel has paid his team back with two stage wins in the Bayern Rundfarht (Which translates to Tour of Bayern/Bavaria right?),

Boredmeeting Champion!
    Yeah spot on with the translation. Reckon he should still be racing or should get banned for it? I'm not really too fussed about it because it was 11 years ago, but he has got away with it if you take that view basically. Pretty sure that if Rijs was doping in 1996 then Ullrich was in 1997 though.

Yeah spot on with the translation. Reckon he should still be racing or should get banned for it? I'm not really too fussed about it because it was 11 years ago, but he has got away with it if you take that view basically. Pretty sure that if Rijs was doping in 1996 then Ullrich was in 1997 though.
    I have a lot more respect for Zabel, then say Landis, Basso ("I was going to dope, but I didn't. And he got me at a moment of weakness" - despite winning the Giro by over 9 minutes , is there something else your not saying Ivan?) or Michele Scarponi.

I think it is very much a case of double standards from ASO boss Patrice Clerc saying he doesn't want Bjarne Riis at the Tour, despite a certain Richard Virenque being allowed to start and was and is a national hero, yet somebody like Armstrong is condemmed for no reason. Do you read the letters section on cyclingnews? Some good ideas being passed.

Boredmeeting Champion!
    Bjarne Riis has been asked to give back his jersey, so does that make the guy who was 2nd the new winner of 1996 and if i remember correctly wasn't that Ulrich?

Boredmeeting Champion!
    In fact looking at it:

1st Riis - doped
    2nd Ulrich - basically has, but hasn't admitted it yet
    3rd Virenque - doped
    4th Laurent Dufaux - was in Festina, therefore basically doped
    So therefore 5th placed Peter Luttenberger is the moral winner of the 1996 TdF?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    In fact looking at it:

1st Riis - doped
    2nd Ulrich - basically has, but hasn't admitted it yet
    3rd Virenque - doped
    4th Laurent Dufaux - was in Festina, therefore basically doped
    So therefore 5th placed Peter Luttenberger is the moral winner of the 1996 TdF?
    Would think Piepoli myself. (17th)

Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread Information