• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Favourite sport? (Cricket excluded)

Favourite sport?

• Football (Soccer)

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • Rugby Union

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • Rugby League

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • Golf

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Snooker

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Aussies Rules

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • Hockey

• Ice Hockey

• Tennis

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Badminton

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Boxing

• Volleyball

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beach Volleyball

• Athletics

• Wrestling

• Swimming

• Darts

• Baseball

• American Football

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Basketball

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Netball

• Handball

• Cycling

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Gaelic Football

• Some other sport that I have stupidly omitted

Votes: 9 6.1%

• Total voters

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
It's really a matter of taste. Tiger Woods may be a master at his game, but if you have no interest in golf, it isn't going to change your perception.
Indeed. I have no interest in golf or basketball. People I know try to tell me cricket and snooker are boring, though. Many of them like golf. Hypocrites...

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Dravid said:
Interesting how Vimes and Master both left out American Football in their opinions. Would like to see what everyone thinks of it.
The Mørkster said:
Yankball: fascinating as a commercial event, bit dull to watch tho

pasag

RTDAS
Actually went to a game in LA, wacthed Kobe play at the Staples Center. Was bloody boring. While were on this topic, Basketball is boring to watch, boring to play and and boring to talk and read about. IMO.

Worst of all the US sports which I would rank as:
1) MLB 2) NHL 3) NFL 4) NBA.

None have anything on footy though.

Dravid

International Captain
pasag said:
Actually went to a game in LA, wacthed Kobe play at the Staples Center. Was bloody boring. While were on this topic, Basketball is boring to watch, boring to play and and boring to talk and read about. IMO.

Did you know the majority of the rule of Baksetball, and did you know how good each player was or did you only know Kobe?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Snooker can be rather exciting if it's a close game that goes all the way. I'm with steds on this, how can people who like Golf call Cricket/Snooker boring????

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think all sports in some way have some sort of tension, but you really need to know the game to understand where it comes from. Basically, it is usually what you grow up on. I was brought up on Rugby League, and never had much exposure to Rugby Union or AFL.

I started watching AFL when the Bears had their first run of good form in 1995 or 1996, but really could not understand the game at all. So haven't had anything to do with it since. Just too confusing.

If I hadn't of played basketball, don't think I would have found it all that exciting, I actually find the NBL a more free flowing game than NBA.

Don't know what got me into cricket though, really can't remember, just seemed to love it ever since I can remember.

Dravid

International Captain
I remember when I was 8, I used to hate Cricket, because I knew nothing about it. Whenever my dad watched it I used to go in the other room. But then I learned the game and now it's my life.

pasag

RTDAS
Dravid said:
Did you know the majority of the rule of Baksetball, and did you know how good each player was or did you only know Kobe?
Who doesn't know the rules for basketball? I've played it my whole life and have watched a few games and when I was really bored in America and had finished reading the classifieds and movie times, I used to read the basketball reports in the sport section.

So yes, I do. Easily the worst sport in the world.

Craig

World Traveller
My understanding of AFL is vague at best, although I have some idea (I think) on how the draft system works during trade week.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
pasag said:

MLB is awesome.

I reckon its fairly hypocritical to accuse baseball of being boring and then being a mad cricket fan. Both are arts that one must follow a long time to truly appreciate as there are heaps of aspects to it. I know crap all about baseball, but have been watching a bit on Fox Sports this season and have really gotten into it. Love the tactics of changing pitchers and hitters for different situations, and different pitches to different hitters etc.

EDIT: Forget that point, I think I misinterpreted your post as in you were saying MLB is the worst US sport. I had the order the 'wrong way', forget my post then :p

pasag

RTDAS
Haha nah missed out a vital comma there. It was ranking of best sports and I totally agree with the Baseball comment. They are so similar that if someone loves cricket but calls baseball boring, it makes you wonder.

Dravid

International Captain
Jono said:
MLB is awesome.

I reckon its fairly hypocritical to accuse baseball of being boring and then being a mad cricket fan. Both are arts that one must follow a long time to truly appreciate as there are heaps of aspects to it. I know crap all about baseball, but have been watching a bit on Fox Sports this season and have really gotten into it. Love the tactics of changing pitchers and hitters for different situations, and different pitches to different hitters etc.

EDIT: Forget that point, I think I misinterpreted your post as in you were saying MLB is the worst US sport. I had the order the 'wrong way', forget my post then :p
Baseball is boring and its not hypocritical to say it is boring cause scoring goes slow, and I'm not a fan of sitting there for an hr waiting for a team to score runs. Same reason I don't like watching soccer, I like playing soccer, but cant stand watching it.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Craig said:
My understanding of AFL is vague at best, although I have some idea (I think) on how the draft system works during trade week.
Just finished a big assignment on the player draft system in models of professional sports leagues for sports economics. Don't really want to discuss it, tbh.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dravid said:
Baseball is boring and its not hypocritical to say it is boring cause scoring goes slow, and I'm not a fan of sitting there for an hr waiting for a team to score runs. Same reason I don't like watching soccer, I like playing soccer, but cant stand watching it.
That's fairly silly, because scoring can go slow, or you may get a 6 run innings for one team. Same way as in test cricket you may have 70 runs in a session for one wicket, or you may have a 130+ run session.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Football: if cricket didn't exist, this would be it sports-wise. You get the emotional roller-coaster faster than cricket, but not to the same peaks
Rugby union: far too much rolling around in the mud for interest to be sustained
Rugby league: watch and enjoy when it's on, but not passionate enough to actively search it out on TV - and no local teams either
Golf: capable of being gripping - closing stages of the majors - and dull as hell
Snooker: will watch when it's on
Aussie rules: haven't seen much, but the little I've watched has held my interest
Field hockey: public schoolboys game
Ice hockey: just doesn't get me. Even in the Winter Olympics
Tennis: not enough depth
Badminton: see tennis
Boxing: a decent watch when there's life in the fight
Volleyball: see badminton
Beach volleyball: see volleyball
Athletics: getting less captivated by the year, possibly correlated with GB rubbishness
Wrestling: don't care
Swimming: see athletics
Darts: needs Jim Bowen
Baseball: I'm sure I'd've got into it had I been American
Yankball: works quite well with kids as a tag-rugby adaptation, but too commercial to watch
Basketball: not enough tactics, played at too high a speed
Netball: see basketball - slower speed, slightly more defensive tactics... and I'll probably have to teach it
Handball: never seen it
Cycling: enjoy participating and whatever the pros are on, their achievements are phenomenal - plus the tactical side is interesting
Gaelic: never seen it