• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alpha - Australia's 101 Best Sports Stars

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Every month without fail I pick up the latest Alpha from my newsagency. This month was even better as they compiled a list of Australia's top 101 sports stars of the last 30 years.

Some interesting stats which came from the list were 11% were cricket stars, 11% were AFL stars, 9% Rugby League, and 7% Rugby Union.

31% of stars came from NSW, 30% from QLD and 23% from Victoria. 84% were male and 16% female.

There was a lot of controversy about where Cathy Freeman was rated with one expert calling her easily the greatest sportsperson of the last 30 years. TBH that's hogwash in my opinion and her position of 6th I feel was about right, perhaps even closer towards 10th woulda been a better relfection. Baring in mind she's only ever won one Olympic gold medal and even then that was without arguably the best athlete in her discipline competing. I think there's been over 100 gold medal winners at the Olympics in Australia so why is she so different (Alpha readers agree with me with only 21% saying she should be higher and 54% saying she was lucky to make the top 10)

Here are some of the people I think were unlucky not to get a mention:
Glenn Boss (Makybe woulda made it if animals were included and Bossy is Makybe)
Liz Ellis (awesome netball player)
Jonny Warren (Our best soccer player for so long)

No doubt more will come to mind over time. There are also a few changes I would make to where people are on the list.

Stephen Bradbury came in at 98th... He should be up a little higher, about 80th. He was our first Winter gold medal winner.
Sarah Fitgerald came in at 97th.... 5 time squash world champion. Enough said.
Louise Sauvage came in at 75th... Nine paralympic golds and coming over such adversity. At least top 30 material.
The Woodies came in at 71st... After winning 11 Grand Slams and helping our Davis Cup so much deserve to be top 30.
Stephen Larkham came in at 70th... Way too high. Doesn't really deserve to be in top 101.
Michael Milton came in 58th... With 11 paralympic medals and heaps of world records should be at least top 40.
Lauren Jackson was 43rd... Best player in the WNBA. Should be way higher than 43rd. Top 20.
Alan Jones was 40th... Too high...
Peter Sterling 36th... Too high, there were so many greats from Parra in that era and he fed a lot off them. How he's higher than Alphie Langer I don't know.
Tom Carroll 25th... I don't really know the guy at all and in order to be in the top 25 your avg punter ought to know you. He should be about 90th.
Jeff Fenech 14th... Never quite could be classed an absolute champion of boxing and is probably about 50 spots too high.
Wayne Carey 4th... How he could nudge out people like Andrew Johns, and Allan Border defies belief. He was only good when Nth Melbourne were good and he totally fed off his team. Should be about 50 lower.
Ian Thorpe 3rd v. Greg Norman 2nd... Should be other way round.

Shane Warne got the top gong due to his spinning wizadry. It's great that one of our greatest cricketers who has drawn so much of the publics attention has been able to deal with it all and go on and be one of Wisden's 5 gtreatest players ever.

pasag

RTDAS
Haha you serious about Carey? The guy was a superstar of the highest order and I doubt we will ever again see a player like him.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Slats4ever said:
Stephen Bradbury came in at 98th... He should be up a little higher, about 80th. He was our first Winter gold medal winner.
:laugh:
Funniest race ever.

Sorry. Carry on.

Slats4ever

still deserves mention but as being the first guy to win a gold medal. I heard that his plan was to race at the back and hope that happened. The guy knew he wasn't as good as the others and it came off

Slats4ever

pasag said:
Haha you serious about Carey? The guy was a superstar of the highest order and I doubt we will ever again see a player like him.
but to be ahead of mick doohan, Allan Border and Andrew Johns
I find a bit far fetched. His career did peter out to with the crows don't forget

pasag

RTDAS
Slats4ever said:
but to be ahead of mick doohan, Allan Border and Andrew Johns
I find a bit far fetched. His career did peter out to with the crows don't forget
He was the best player of the best team in the 90's and his freakish talent and ability, especially for a man his size were a joy to watch. The fact that Pagan structured the whole team around him and won 2 premierships on the back of it shows his worth and awesomeness.

Carey was brilliant and to say he should be down at 50 is poor. The way his career ended is of no significance. Look at Michael Jordan and his demise at the Wizards, yet he is still considored the greatest sportsman of all time.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Slats4ever said:
There was a lot of controversy about where Cathy Freeman was rated with one expert calling her easily the greatest sportsperson of the last 30 years. TBH that's hogwash in my opinion and her position of 6th I feel was about right, perhaps even closer towards 10th woulda been a better relfection. Baring in mind she's only ever won one Olympic gold medal and even then that was without arguably the best athlete in her discipline competing. I think there's been over 100 gold medal winners at the Olympics in Australia so why is she so different (Alpha readers agree with me with only 21% saying she should be higher and 54% saying she was lucky to make the top 10)
To say that is to completely ignore the significance of what she did, and that's disgraceful IMO.

Slats4ever said:
So? Why should that mean he should be higher?

Slats4ever said:
Sarah Fitgerald came in at 97th.... 5 time squash world champion. Enough said.
Squash?
Enough said.

Slats4ever said:
Louise Sauvage came in at 75th... Nine paralympic golds and coming over such adversity. At least top 30 material.
Michael Milton came in 58th... With 11 paralympic medals and heaps of world records should be at least top 40.
I'm not having a go at the Paralympics, though I'll accept any "heartless" tags, but so what? The Paralympics isn't about the accolades or the medals or even the competition, it's about sending a message to other physically disabled people that it isn't the end of the world, that there is something they can aspire to. I've got a lot of respect for them, but I don't see any justification for them to be rated as in the top 30-40 Australian sports stars.

Slats4ever said:
Wayne Carey 4th... How he could nudge out people like Andrew Johns, and Allan Border defies belief. He was only good when Nth Melbourne were good and he totally fed off his team. Should be about 50 lower.
No, North Melbourne were only good when Wayne Carey was good. An absolute freak, amazing player, the best player to play AFL in recent times (could change with Chris Judd & Jono Brown milling around).

Slats4ever said:
Ian Thorpe 3rd v. Greg Norman 2nd... Should be other way round.
Why?

KennyD

Slats4ever said:
Stephen Larkham came in at 70th... Way too high. Doesn't really deserve to be in top 101.
Best Australian Fly-half ever. Won us the 1999 World Cup. His position is justified.

Slats4ever

Robertinho said:
To say that is to completely ignore the significance of what she did, and that's disgraceful IMO.
What did she do? Other than win a 400m olympic gold without Perec...
Robertinho said:
So? Why should that mean he should be higher?
Because it was Australia's first ever Winter Olympic gold medal and the amount of support that sports like that get from the Gov't and the conditions he trains is is an amazing feat.

Robertinho said:
Squash?
Enough said.
TBH squash is played by large amounts of people across Asia and the rest of the world. Just because you don't have an appreciation for it it's an amazing feat.

Robertinho said:
I'm not having a go at the Paralympics, though I'll accept any "heartless" tags, but so what? The Paralympics isn't about the accolades or the medals or even the competition, it's about sending a message to other physically disabled people that it isn't the end of the world, that there is something they can aspire to. I've got a lot of respect for them, but I don't see any justification for them to be rated as in the top 30-40 Australian sports stars.
Go hang yourself. To conquer what she has is unbelievable and is an amazing sporting feat

Robertinho said:
Because Ian Thorpe's longevity and his ability to pull through on the day and never let us down ever is unbelievable... He wins just about every race he tries. Sure Greg Norman was great but he still struggled at the end of the day to put opponents away and that's what you need to do to be considered Australia's second best sportsman

Slats4ever

KennyD said:
Best Australian Fly-half ever. Won us the 1999 World Cup. His position is justified.
but his longevity surely has to be questioned. He was unbelievable around the 99 World Cup. Nowadays however he's predictable and kicks the ball way too much. If he was still awesome now then yeah he deserves his spot but he sucks now. Like Gregan has held on for too long.

pasag

RTDAS
Slats4ever said:
What did she do? Other than win a 400m olympic gold without Perec...
Though pretty much the biggest moment of the biggest sporting event ever seen on these shores.