• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Too many soccer threads?

Are soccer threads ruining OT?

• Total voters

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well it would also be very, very annoying for us Football fans to have to go back X pages into a Football thread to find the discussion we were involved with on our last visit. The Official English Season thread is already full of an absolute multitude of topics, so to suggest it be merged with ones for all matters involving Football is plainly ridiculous for the simple reason that epople want to discuss enough different things. There are four professional leagues in England alone and they will always stimulate discussion : most English people on here seem to enjoy football. Hell, a lot of us only come in OT at all for the Football threads.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Are football threads ruining Off Topic? No. But this is not the same question as "Should non-cricket sports threads get their own forum?"

My take on things is that if you can get a forum which is dominated (ie, more than half of it) by sports threads and then split the sports threads to another forum - all the while still having them both be active forums - then by all means, do it. Introducing more non-cricket forums isn't counterproductive, but rather it boosts the community as it gives them more specific things to talk about in the threads.

The idea of splitting a forum in two only when a forum is dominated by threads on a certain topic is tried, tested and proven to work at other forums I go to.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
pasag said:
It matters imo, that it takes ages to find threads normal threads when there are so many soccer threads floating about. I for one and I know many others don't venture past page 2 of OT and when most of the good threads are pushed back that far becuase of the latest soccer thread it is very, very annoying.
And how often is there 2 whole pages with new posts in OT?

Every 2 or 3 days I'd wager.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Well it would also be very, very annoying for us Football fans to have to go back X pages into a Football thread to find the discussion we were involved with on our last visit. The Official English Season thread is already full of an absolute multitude of topics, so to suggest it be merged with ones for all matters involving Football is plainly ridiculous for the simple reason that epople want to discuss enough different things. There are four professional leagues in England alone and they will always stimulate discussion : most English people on here seem to enjoy football. Hell, a lot of us only come in OT at all for the Football threads.

Ahem, you seem to be forgetting the pro teams outside those top leagues.

Which reminds me, I've always wanted to start an Exeter City thread..............

James

Cricket Web Owner
With two football threads on the first page of Off Topic.... we sure do have a problem don't we....:dry:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
pasag said:
They could be valid but thats not the point. If I want to do a Mitchellcheck for example it takes me half an hour to sift through a bunch of soccer threads to find it. And imo that is ruining OT.
Says more about your searching skills tbh.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Not at all. I'm making a direct comment about your inability to find a thread. If it takes you 30 minutes to find that thread, then there's no hope for you.

pasag

RTDAS
Voltman said:
Not at all. I'm making a direct comment about your inability to find a thread. If it takes you 30 minutes to find that thread, then there's no hope for you.
Oh are you in one of your playful moods or in one of your serious/ mod wannabe moods? I can never tell.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
pasag said:
Oh are you in one of your playful moods or in one of your serious/ mod wannabe moods? I can never tell.
I'm in my "pasag isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer" mood.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh:

Does it look like I'm worried about that? I've ended up in my dream career - you'll end up merchandising at supermarkets for the next 40 years.

R_D

International Debutant
benchmark00 said:
So you don't actually want to add anything to the discussion, you just want to be a knob?
you're the one who's being a knob not me ...Where's you're concernabout so many music threads as football threads. battle of Hip/pop artist, how many Albums you own, Songs you listining to now et al. I don't see you guys raise any voice about that so why against Soccer. You may not like soccer but some of us do and its pretty hard to keep things in one thread.
I haven't read through the thread yet but how is soccer threads ruining OT... if you guys stop making alot of non-sense threads than OT will be much better and this is one of those threads.