• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official NBA 2006-2007 season thread

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Jordan started his NBA career at 21-22, and missed his second season due to injury so no surprise that he didn't achieve that. But in his 3rd season he scored 50 in consecutive playoff games, ironically against the CAVs.
Actually it was against the Celtics.

It is funny to say that Kobe has never done anything like that in his career, Kobe also has not had 3 poor games in one playoff series.
Funny, I remember Kobe airballing the Lakers out of the playoffs in 1998. He wasn't much better in '99, too. And he's had multiple failures from 2003-2007.

The fact is that every time you say "shouldn't Lebron be doing this by now?" he goes out and does it.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Can someone give me an analogy to Lebron James' performance in another sport, say cricket. How huge was his individual performance, is it like a Lara 153* innings? Or something similar?

I obviously understand basketball but am unaware of the history of top individual point scoreres in the NBA, however from what I heard of his performance through discussions on the radio, it sounds absolutely unreal and a once in a lifetime thing to see.
The analogy is difficult... It would be like a young tennis player making their first Grand Slam Final by beating a former Grand Slam champion in the Semis, maybe coming from a few sets down or forcing a fifth set tiebreaker or something. The amazing thing was that he scored the Cavs last 25 points and 29 of their last 30. It was a break through performance in a crucial game.

Kobe's 81 points was last season and I don't understand the rest of Sanz's argument. It wasn't one of the 10 greatest playoff performances in NBA history, but a career defining moment and will probably be the most famous playoff performance since Jordan's game winner in 1998.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
Well, with the finals set to begin soon I have to say that I have not been following these playoffs since the Mavs, Suns and Nets all got knocked out. :(

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Cavaliers defence dissappeared in the second half and they looked out of sorts offensive in the second half. Sloppy game for Lebron and poor coaching by Brown. I dont know why he didn't let Gibson play mor minutes and removed Z from the lineup in 2nd half.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't help but agree. Credit to the spurs though, they gave Lebron nothing, their defence on the pick 'n roll was great imo. If Gibson doesn't get more game time, or at least more ball next game it'll be dissappointing, he made 2/3 great drives to the basket. Gooden was loving the fact that James was being double teamed imo, he played well in offensive.

Much like the Swans in the afl, the Spurs so good at controlling the game, yet i find them so frustrating, and annoying to watch!!!

Oh, and fwiw, has anyone ever seen Tim Duncan make a facial expression :p ?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, you mean besides the "who, me?" expression he makes after every foul called against him? :p
yeah that stunned look on his face is priceless...:) , he had a great game on both sides of the court as usual..

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Can't help but agree. Credit to the spurs though, they gave Lebron nothing, their defence on the pick 'n roll was great imo. If Gibson doesn't get more game time, or at least more ball next game it'll be dissappointing, he made 2/3 great drives to the basket. Gooden was loving the fact that James was being double teamed imo, he played well in offensive.
the rest of the team can't come close to beating the spurs though...for them to compete well, james has to become red hot and a couple of others have to step up consistently and for them to beat the spurs, in addition to the above, the spurs have to have a series of poor shooting nights and bad defensive lapses....

Fusion

Global Moderator
yeah that stunned look on his face is priceless...:) , he had a great game on both sides of the court as usual..
That he was. If it is possible, I do feel that he doesn't get the props he deserves. When people talk about superstars in the league, they immediately mention Kobe, Lebron, Wade, KG, and even T-Mac before they mention Duncan. All he does year after year is dominate in the playoffs and help San Antonio become as close to a dynasty as possible in today's NBA.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
That he was. If it is possible, I do feel that he doesn't get the props he deserves. When people talk about superstars in the league, they immediately mention Kobe, Lebron, Wade, KG, and even T-Mac before they mention Duncan. All he does year after year is dominate in the playoffs and help San Antonio become as close to a dynasty as possible in today's NBA.
i think people are now waking up to the fact that he is the short list of the greatest power forwards ever to play in the nba...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
@fusion - The reason IMO for that is, he is not that dominant as a big man, He has a great allround game perhaps better than everyone in the league right now, but he doesn't dominate on either end. When Shaq/KG were dominant, they would put 35-45 points, 10-20 boards, 3-8 Assists pretty regularly.

That said, It is the media that creates hype, unlike Kobe, Shaq, Lebron etc Duncan maintains a very low profile, is old school, doesn't try to sell anything and everything.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
@fusion - The reason IMO for that is, he is not that dominant as a big man, He has a great allround game perhaps better than everyone in the league right now, but he doesn't dominate on either end. When Shaq/KG were dominant, they would put 35-45 points, 10-20 boards, 3-8 Assists pretty regularly.

That said, It is the media that creates hype, unlike Kobe, Shaq, Lebron etc Duncan maintains a very low profile, is old school, doesn't try to sell anything and everything.
he does have 30+ points nights often but not a lot of 40+ ones because the team concept in s.a just doesn't allow for one individual to dominate scoring like that even if that individual is tim duncan...as for the other stats, the boards, the assists, he does do that on a regular basis and include a steady stream of blocked shots and a few steals in there as well...the reason he does not get hyped/noticed that much is because he mostly just goes about his business quietly and does not do the usual superstar stuff like the dramatic chest thumping and the war-cries and the spectacular dunks and whatnot....

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
the spurs withstand a 4th qtr rally by the cavs and make it 2-0, the big 3 come up big again as the scene shifts to cleveland...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
the spurs withstand a 4th qtr rally by the cavs and make it 2-0, the big 3 come up big again as the scene shifts to cleveland...
The Rally was because most Spurs starters didn't start the fourth quarter, even after Cleveland getting 10 points in a row (and the lead reduced to 19 from 29) Only Duncan and Bowen were on the court. For those 4 minutes Spurs were playing like cavaliers, ater Parker, Ginobli, Duncan etc were on the court, the order was restored.

Anyway I am not surprised the sloppy play by Cleveland, No one should be if they saw them again NJ and Detroit.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
The Rally was because most Spurs starters didn't start the fourth quarter, even after Cleveland getting 10 points in a row (and the lead reduced to 19 from 29) Only Duncan and Bowen were on the court. For those 4 minutes Spurs were playing like cavaliers, ater Parker, Ginobli, Duncan etc were on the court, the order was restored.

Anyway I am not surprised the sloppy play by Cleveland, No one should be if they saw them again NJ and Detroit.
yeah i know...not saying the spurs were in danger of losing at any point....young gibson is a spark of talent there though, outside of james, there is not a whole lot of that to speak of....

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Gibson is definately a good talent but I disagree on Lebron, He isn't lighting fire with his performance , despite playing some of the weakest teams, he was ordinary in playoffs except for one or two games and these finals are no different.

Yes, the Spurs defence is tough, but you dont become Heir Jordan by playing like that. They said he is more like Magic than Jordan, because of his superior passing skills and I was like..yeah right !! This is the worst Finals I have watched, worse than Sixers/Lakers.

And I can understand his issues on Offense, but how does one explain missed free throws, 12 turnovers, poor rebounding, poor assists and all that.

And the Nike Lebron Commercials should not be aired, it looked like it was mocking him.

Fusion

Global Moderator
And the Nike Lebron Commercials should not be aired, it looked like it was mocking him.
Bad timing on the commercials for sure. But they have to air them sometime I suppose. Better now when the Cavs are down 0-2, then later when they're down 0-3. :)