• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael retires....

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SupaFreak2005 said:
Wow.. I thought he wouldn't have retired as yet...
With Alonso leaving Renault next year I was looking forward to Schumacher make a killing next year!
I hope he changes his mind :(
Wouldn't hold out much hope tbh.

Pothas

Finaly Schumacher is reriting. A great driver but never a likable champion due to the fact hr was always prepared to cheat to win. Still he is worthy or everyones respect. il be very glad to see him gone though having to see him win the world championship 7 times is far too much as it is, I pray and hope he doesnt make it 8

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I don't follow F1 closely. Infact, not at all these days. It isn't a sport. But when I was about 10/11 I lived next to a lad who was obsessed by it and he got me quite into it. I never warmed to Schumacher, though. I always thought he had no personality. Although it's probably hard to gauge a blokes personality if all you see of him is him speeding around a circuit in a car several times.

Pothas

This season has been pretty good and with 3 races left and 2 points in it im sure it will be a good finnish, as long as Alonso wins that is

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I don't follow F1 closely. Infact, not at all these days. It isn't a sport. But when I was about 10/11 I lived next to a lad who was obsessed by it and he got me quite into it. I never warmed to Schumacher, though. I always thought he had no personality. Although it's probably hard to gauge a blokes personality if all you see of him is him speeding around a circuit in a car several times.
at the same sort of age i followed damon hill a fair bit lol.

Matteh

sledger said:
Same and it's as a result of Aus '94 that's made me dislike Schumacher ever since.

Pothas

never really followed Hill. I have gone from Senna, Mika, Alonso. Always liked Montoya as well

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting that Flavio Briatore has come out and said the championship is rigged so Schumacher wins it this year, is he bitter or just saying what we are all thinking?
For me its strange he would be saying something like that when his driver still leads the championship...

Matteh

I think he'll win it because Renault seem to have blown it tbh, wouldn't use the term 'rig' though.

I found it interesting that he said Schumacher would never go down as one of the all time class acts of F1 and instead said Villeneuve or Montoya would. Not sure on his comparisions tbh. Villeneuve probably the most petulant driver of recent times and Montoya never really fully realised his potential.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
sledger said:
Fisichella. Mainly because Benetton contained my name. Even if they couldn't spell Bennett right :dry: ...

Pothas

Matteh said:
I think he'll win it because Renault seem to have blown it tbh, wouldn't use the term 'rig' though.

I can see why they are saying it is rigged. To demote Alonso to 10th was very harsh and the fact the race was being held at Monza would lead people to say that when they feel hard done by.

Im not sure Renault have blown it, Alonso certainly hasnt he has been driving very well in the last couple of races. His luck has just temporarily run out, if it returns he will still be world champion.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
SeaMan said:
You call that a sport? It's just a glorified drive to work.
I agree, but this is hardly the place for opinions on the sport. It's that german bloke's thread.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Matteh said:
I'd have liked to see Schumi do a season lower down the grid like Hill had to in say a Midland and then see if he got as close as Hill to a win. Would have answered a lot of critics.
Hill was absolutely useless at Jordan. Was completely outperformed by Frentzen in ever way. HHF almost won the championship that year, Hill finished in the points twice. I couldn't see Schumi going to BMW Sauber and being outperformed by Heidfeld, or by his brother at Toyota.

Matteh

James90 said:
Hill was absolutely useless at Jordan. Was completely outperformed by Frentzen in ever way. HHF almost won the championship that year, Hill finished in the points twice. I couldn't see Schumi going to BMW Sauber and being outperformed by Heidfeld, or by his brother at Toyota.
I was talking about his season at Arrows....where he overtook Schumacher in a Ferrari and but for a tiny piece of the car failing with 2 laps to go he'd have won the Hungarian Grand Prix. Still 2nd in an Arrows was impressive.

When he was at Jordan he actually gave them their first win at Spa (i think). Then the season you're talking about was the one where he realised his time was up, and retired.

howardj

International Coach
Wow what a sportsman. Definitely one of my favourites. Has to be one of the most confident athletes of the modern era.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Whilst the champion of a sport is more determined by the finances of a team than the ability of the driver, F1 will never really hold my interest. When any given driver can win, that's a contest. When the person with the best car is the one who wins, well, how can anyone call that a race?