• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Peter Brock Dead! RIP!!

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
burkey_1988 said:
I'd hope that if I made a mistake that wasn't directly endangering anybody's life that I'd be given a second chance rather than killed.
You'd hope so - obviously they did. But you can't expect it.

They knew what would happen to them and they are as guilty as sin, with no one to blame but themselves. You could hope all you like mate, but why should that be good enough? I'm just saying they dug their own graves; now they're going to die in them. I pity them but they got what was coming.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Casson said:
You'd hope so - obviously they did. But you can't expect it.

They knew what would happen to them and they are as guilty as sin, with no one to blame but themselves. You could hope all you like mate, but why should that be good enough? I'm just saying they dug their own graves; now they're going to die in them. I pity them but they got what was coming.
I'm not disagreeing with you. They knew the consequences and took a risk. However, I think Indonesia needs to reconsider the puishments for these types of crimes. It's ridiculous that they're going to die. Bordering on barbaric in my opinion.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
burkey_1988 said:
I'm not disagreeing with you. They knew the consequences and took a risk. However, I think Indonesia needs to reconsider the puishments for these types of crimes. It's ridiculous that they're going to die. Bordering on barbaric in my opinion.
It's barbaric in my opinion as well...but in theirs it's a fair and just system.
And now the Bali 9 have to live with it.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
burkey_1988 said:
Yeah look, fair enough. It's a very humanitarian viewpoint to have. But I personally have no sympathy for drug runners or anyone who has anything to do with them. It sickens me that people think drug-related offences should in some cases be classified as petty crimes when they aren't. The whole thing isn't separate of more insidious behaviour, anywhere from gang violence to theft to rape, and to think otherwise is to be horrendously blinkered. I have no sympathy for these people because no matter how small their role might be, they contribute to the degradation of a society that I try my damnedest to be decent in. As I said before, and I think this time with less equivocality, why should I care? They bloody well should rot.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Casson said:
Yeah look, fair enough. It's a very humanitarian viewpoint to have. But I personally have no sympathy for drug runners or anyone who has anything to do with them. It sickens me that people think drug-related offences should in some cases be classified as petty crimes when they aren't. The whole thing isn't separate of more insidious behaviour, anywhere from gang violence to theft to rape, and to think otherwise is to be horrendously blinkered. I have no sympathy for these people because no matter how small their role might be, they contribute to the degradation of a society that I try my damnedest to be decent in. As I said before, and I think this time with less equivocality, why should I care? They bloody well should rot.
Very well said, I agree with most of that. But death, way too extreme.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry, apologies for going off topic.

RIP Brocky. Bathurst won't ever be the same again.

howardj

International Coach
As a general comment, and it's not a commentary on this thread which I think is fine, but I'm so over this 'celebrity mourning'. I'm talking about seeing grown adults, who have never met the person concerned, crying and all distressed in public. By all means, shead a quiet tear at your desk when you've found out, but in my view there's a big element of fake rubbish in all of this carry on over people who we have never met. I mean, for the people who carry on in public, it's the family who have lost - it's not all about us.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
howardj said:
As a general comment, and it's not a commentary on this thread which I think is fine, but I'm so over this 'celebrity mourning'. I'm talking about seeing grown adults, who have never met the person concerned, crying and all distressed in public. By all means, shead a quiet tear at your desk when you've found out, but in my view there's a big element of fake rubbish in all of this carry on over people who we have never met. I mean, for the people who carry on in public, it's the family who have lost - it's not all about us.
Definitely agreed. It gets taken way over the top sometimes, first with Steve Irwin, and then no doubt with Peter Brock. Even David Hookes, who I hadn't even heard of until his death, was treated as an absolute hero.

Mister Wright

Mr Casson said:
I meant they deserve everything they get, and they do. You'd have to invent a new word to describe how stupid running drugs into Indonesia is. They have policies which are their own right to exercise and you can't expect the PM to beg for their clemency just because they chose to ignore the local law. If they thought they could get away with it, that's a fair gamble. But you can't cancel a losing bet just because it lost.
It's not as simple as that. Some of them had their families threatened if they didn't do it. Now I know most of us would go to the police if that kind of thing happened to us, but think about when you were 18, just out of school, don't know much about the world and some big-guys put life threatening pressure on you and your family - it would be a daunting prospect.

They deserve to go to jail, but death by firing squad I don't agree with.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
NZTailender said:
It's barbaric in my opinion as well...but in theirs it's a fair and just system.
And now the Bali 9 have to live with it.
Or not as the case is...

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Mr Casson said:
Agreed and very well said. What people seem to forget is that there is a wider issue that just the Bali Nine. I have no sympathy fr them because of what they did and also the lives that would have been ruined if the drugs made it into the wider community.

People seem to forget that drugs can kill people (overdoses) and are responsible in some cases, for tearing families apart due to addiction and the like. I truly don't think life in prision is good enough for them as they knew that there are consquences for their actions and still did it anyway.

Also, they should and will be subject to the Laws of Indonesia which includes the Death Penalty for this offense. If they brought them into Australia, the Laws of the Land would apply so why should this be any different?

The whole thing makes me so angry...why should they get anything less than death for what they did? It's about time justice was served for these people and I for one, am glad it is.

Matteh

Eyes_Only said:
The whole thing makes me so angry...why should they get anything less than death for what they did?
Because the death penalty is inherently wrong. How can the state be exempt from being able to kill people yet murder is an offense? That's complete hypocrism and is often a sign of a country still maturing, like Indonesia, USA etc.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Matteh said:
Because the death penalty is inherently wrong. How can the state be exempt from being able to kill people yet murder is an offense? That's complete hypocrism and is often a sign of a country still maturing, like Indonesia, USA etc.
Fair point. I take your point about it being murder...which I guess it is.But what about the people who have an overdose and die from drugs? Is that not a death penatly as well??

Besides that, they knew that if they appealed, there was a chance the charges would be upgraded to the death penalty anyway.

Last edited:

Matteh

Eyes_Only said:
Fair point. I take your point about it being murder...which I guess it is.But what about the people who have an overdose and die from drugs? Is that not a death penatly as well??
That would be personal choice though. People that do drugs know the consequences, they gamble and take the risk, and ultimately some people lose. The only way that doesn't come into play is if a dealer has done something dodgy to his 'batch' in which case it's effectively murder.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
May i ask why people persist posting about a bunch of Criminals in a tribute thread to an Australian Legend....

howardj

International Coach
Eyes_Only said:
But mate, there's a missing link in the chain of causation. That is, the people who died from drugs made a decision to take the drugs. Therefore, you can't equate a drug trafficker's crime to murder. And it's murder which I think can be the only possible justification for the death penalty - even then, I think the death penalty is wrong, and ill-suited to the 21st Century.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
howardj said:
But mate, there's a missing link in the chain of causation. That is, the people who died from drugs made a decision to take the drugs. Therefore, you can't equate a drug trafficker's crime to murder. And it's murder which I think can be the only possible justification for the death penalty - even then, I think the death penalty is wrong, and ill-suited to the 21st Century.
Fair enough Howard and I think I'll agree to disagree with you on that. As Blewy said, this is neither the time or the place for this discussion.

I am happy to pick it up at a later time though.