• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Major League Baseball

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Shame ESPN America's only got another week or so left. I've actually enjoyed the odd game of baseball recently.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What have the Pirates done with their trades? They've let all but one of their Opening Day line-up go this season. I don't see how these moves will help them in the future in any way. I'm glad I'm not a Pittsburgh fan.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I'm glad the Rangers didn't pull the trigger on the Roy Halladay trade. The Blue Jays were asking for our top 2 prospects,our highly rated rookie pitcher Dereck Holland, PLUS 1 to 2 mid-level prospects. That's selling the entire farm! Granted Halladay is the best pitcher in baseball, but you can't mortgage your team's future for one player.

_Ed_

Agree with that.

I wonder what effect all this has had on Halladay though - he's playing for a team that would gladly have let him go if they'd got the right offer. Would surely leave a bit of a sour taste in the mouth.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't particularly enjoy baseball, but as there's absolutely no other sports on midweek these days have been watching a fair bit of it.
Have found myself watching a fair bit as well recently. Have no idea who to support, probably one of the Chicago teams. Don't mind the Rockies either, keeping the Denver theme going.

_Ed_

The Rockies have been the real surprise team this year IMO. Genuine chance of making an impression in the play-offs. Think the Dodgers will be extremely tough to beat in the NL though.

I wouldn't recommend the Cubs - their fans don't get much to cheer about. 1908 was a long time ago.

_Ed_

That is true.

Although I dislike both teams and many of their supporters, a Yankees-Red Sox game always makes for great viewing. Today's game was fantastic. The most scoreless innings in the history of games between the two teams - sounds boring, but I loved it. Great pitching.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Ow.

A couple of years ago during Spring Training, Mariners third baseman Adrian Beltre explained during an interview that he doesn't wear a cup -- a piece of equipment worn to protect one of the most vital areas of your body.

He said he wore one once, but it didn't feel comfortable so he never wore one again and didn't think twice about it.

He was asked if he ever worried about getting hit "there" and he said "no" because he trusted his hands, which always had been quick enough to react to the hot shots hit to him while playing the hot corner.

But in the ninth inning of Wednesday night's 14-inning game against the White Sox, Beltre's hands were not quick enough. A ball hit by Alexei Ramirez hit Beltre just below the belt buckle. The 3B jumped high (who could blame him?) as the ball rolled away.

Beltre had the presence of mind to go after the ball pick it up with his bare hand and try to get the out at first base. He ended up with a throwing error -- and perhaps surgery as he suffered a "contusion of his right testicle."

He somehow played the remainder of the game without showing any outward signs of the severe pain he must have been experiencing. Anyone who has been hit "there" knows what I'm talking about.

Beltre shrugged it off, singled in the 14th inning, dove back into first base to avoid a pickoff throw, went to second on a walk and scored the game-winning run on Ken Griffey Jr.'s single to right field.

Only then did Beltre mention that he got hit "there".

He was hurt so bad that on Thursday afternoon he was placed on the 15-day disabled list and might need surgery to repair the damage to his right testicle.

"He's awfully tough. I couldn't even imagine," manager Don Wakamatsu said.

Josh

International Regular
Did anybody just see that?! Dodgers pitcher struck right in the side of the head by a ball right off the bat. It was absolutely crunched! They've got the stretcher out now, don't reckon we'll be seeing him play again any time soon... he's been laying motionless on the mound for at least 5 minutes.

_Ed_

That sounds awful.

David Wright got hit in the head today too and is out for a while with concussion. Seeing him rack up some good numbers was one of the only good things left in the season for a Mets fan. :(

It's time to choose the team I'm going to support in the postseason...I'm thinking the Giants, if they can get the wild card.

Last edited:

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Sounds like he's OK.

mlb.com said:
PHOENIX -- Dodgers pitcher Hiroki Kuroda, who narrowly escaped serious injury when hit on the side of the head by a line drive Saturday night, was discharged from St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center on Sunday morning.

Kuroda went to the club's hotel, where he was expected to rest for a few hours before rejoining the team at Chase Field, where the Dodgers will conclude their weekend series with the D-backs.

Kuroda then is expected to fly home with the club.

Kuroda was struck above the right ear by a line drive off the bat of pinch-hitter Rusty Ryal leading off the bottom of the sixth inning, having shut down the D-backs on two hits over five scoreless innings. He never lost consciousness and there was no bleeding from the injury. He was strapped to a spine board and rushed to the local hospital, where a CT scan revealed no fractures or bleeding. He was hospitalized overnight for observation.