• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Major League Baseball

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Opening Day 2008 isn't far away, so what do people think of the season ahead?

I've switched allegiance to the Mets. Quality bunch of players (particularly a fan of Wright), and so choke-prone that the season keeps its interest right to the end.

I see both the Mets and the Yankees are getting flash new stadiums for 2009 right next door to the old ones. The new Mets stadium looks really nice, it's much smaller than Shea and apparently all the seats will have more foot room and will be closer to the action. Meanwhile, the new Yankee Stadium is pretty much a replica of the current one. :blink:
Citi Field's actually modelled quite a lot on the old Ebbets Field, where the Dodgers used to play in Brooklyn. Would have been nice if they called it Jackie Robinson Stadium or something, but money talks. Looking quite good this season, reckon they're a bit too old and decrepid though. Good choice on Wright as well, he's a gun.

Fusion

Global Moderator
So why make a new stadium at all?
Well first, it's not an exact replica in EVERY sense. You can be sure that it would have more luxury suites than the current Yankee Stadium. I think the "look" of the stadium would be the same because Yankee Stadium is considered a legendary field. I would guess they want to preserve a tradition.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Might be a good season for the Braves but unfortunately Philadelphia and Boston look contenders. Will be interesting to see how it goes without Andruw Jones. Could either end like last season or we'll be challenging for the playoffs. Don't see another divsion title run for the team for another couple seasons.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Hopefully the Mariners have enough pitching now to make it through to the Playoffs.
The Angels are pretty strong, but I think the M's could contend for the AL West and/or Wild Card.

The acquistion of Bedard was a good one. Although we lost our most reliable set-up man in Sherril. Hopefully Bedard and Hernandez will be very solid. And with a bottom of the rotation of Silva, Washburn and Batista, the M's wont flop like they did last year.

The loss of Guillen from the batting line-up should be felt pretty big, but hopefully youngster such has Balentein and Clement can step up.

Only a couple of days to go until Opening Day. Looking forward to it.

The Baconator

Hopefully the Mariners have enough pitching now to make it through to the Playoffs.
The Angels are pretty strong, but I think the M's could contend for the AL West and/or Wild Card.

The acquistion of Bedard was a good one. Although we lost our most reliable set-up man in Sherril. Hopefully Bedard and Hernandez will be very solid. And with a bottom of the rotation of Silva, Washburn and Batista, the M's wont flop like they did last year.

The loss of Guillen from the batting line-up should be felt pretty big, but hopefully youngster such has Balentein and Clement can step up.

Only a couple of days to go until Opening Day. Looking forward to it.
M's are gonna have to make some running early in the season, Angels' co-aces in Lackey and Escobar down for at least a month each. Lot'll depend on whether Bedard can stay healthy IMO.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I just noticed that Dontrelle Willis is playing for the Tigers this season (I'm not good at keeping up with all the trades that take place).

I find it a bit surprising that he's gone to an AL team, he's one of the best hitting pitchers in baseball and he won't ever have to bat for the Tigers. Thought maybe a NL team might try to pick him up.

The Baconator

Pretty much a throw in on the Miggy Cabrera deal. Would be awesome if they send him to pinch hit every now and again though.

mars

Cricket Spectator
Wow, this thread hasn't been bumped all season!

The Angels, Cubbies and Rays (first time in franchise history - what a great story!) have all clinched playoff berths. It's looking to be the Rays, Red Sox, White Sox and Angels in the AL and the Cubs, Mets, Phillies and Dodgers in the NL.

_Ed_

Yeah the Rays have been unbelievable. Have to laugh at the Yankees.

The Mets bullpen has been shaky lately, but they held on for a win today against the Cubs.

JackPot

U19 12th Man
Yeah the Rays have been unbelievable. Have to laugh at the Yankees.

The Mets bullpen has been shaky lately, but they held on for a win today against the Cubs.
Yankees coach left that Rays club to be with Steinberger,,,,and Joe Torre is playing in the Championship series in the other coast

:lol: yankees....

JackPot

U19 12th Man
Cubs gone big time in the play-offs,.... Wonder if the cubs management biting their tongue on re-signing Lou Pinella :D

_Ed_

I hope the Rays pull through in Game 7. They were on the edge of a fairytale, having a 3-1 lead over the Red Sox in the ALCS after coming last in their division last year, but Boston have pulled it back to 3-3.

Go TB.

_Ed_

So, 2009...
Indeed.

What does everyone think?

I'm supporting the Mets again, hoping they have a great first year in their new stadium. But apart from that, I think the Cubs could be in for a big year.