Page 46 of 66 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Major League Baseball

Cricket Spectator Ausfanintoronto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostman View Post
    New post season structure, is a go for this season.

Going to be a mess this year since they didn't change the schedule, but I think it is a good move. Winning the division is now rewarded, and the WC teams have some kind of penalty. The only problem for this year is the 2-3 format for the lds series. Hopefully this gets sorted out for next year.
    Its only for this year since they wanted to eliminate the travel day

Quote Originally Posted by KiWiNiNjA View Post
    Darvish will be making his debut against my M's.

Hopefully that game will be free on MLB.tv. Even better if it's Darvish vs Noesi.
    Noesi is good....especially in that ball park...as a Yankees fan I can assure you that youll love watch Montero play....kids a beast...hope Safeco doesnt eat him up

Quote Originally Posted by KiWiNiNjA View Post
    Darvish will be making his debut against my M's.

Hopefully that game will be free on MLB.tv. Even better if it's Darvish vs Noesi.
    MLB showed a few innings of Darvish's spring training starts. I hope they do have this game on for free. I'm so excited for the season! I have managed to put away the heartbreak of Game 6 in a deep and inaccessible corner of my heart (don't think I'll ever be able to forget it though). As they say, third time's the charm.

Also, my head is still spinning from the deals that were handed out to Votto and Matt Cain. I guess baseball owners are not hurting for money these days!

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    MLB showed a few innings of Darvish's spring training starts. I hope they do have this game on for free. I'm so excited for the season! I have managed to put away the heartbreak of Game 6 in a deep and inaccessible corner of my heart (don't think I'll ever be able to forget it though). As they say, third time's the charm.

Also, my head is still spinning from the deals that were handed out to Votto and Matt Cain. I guess baseball owners are not hurting for money these days!
    Those were dumb deals.....Votto is not worth that much let alone 12 yrs.....Cain is a very good pitcher but how do you bring back Lincecum now??? Sabean has always been an idiot

Nah, Votto's a stud.

They are obviously expecting a bit of inflation. Paying a premium for locking him up for his prime years. 12 years is pretty long, but the Annual Average Value is pretty cheap for a player of his calibre. If he can continue producing at 6-7 WAR for the next 5yrs, and then doesn't go into too much decline, I think it's a good deal.

It's a risk, but a calculated one.

Considering what Cain got, I feel better about the Darvish contract as a Rangers fan. I'm not comparing the two as I know one is an established MLB stud while the other needs to prove himself, but I think the asking price of Darvish next season would have been significantly higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Considering what Cain got, I feel better about the Darvish contract as a Rangers fan. I'm not comparing the two as I know one is an established MLB stud while the other needs to prove himself, but I think the asking price of Darvish next season would have been significantly higher.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Erm yes, great point.

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    I reckon' this could very well be the year the Blue Jays stop being the "cute lil' team from Toronto" and start contesting with the big boys, especially with the change in playoff structure and the classic 90's Jays logo back in action. Hoping Lawrie has a huge year, the kid's got what it takes.

Joys of opening day, lets even blue jays fans think they have a chance in the AL east
    For as long as there is limited overs cricket - of ten, twenty or fifty overs - there will remain the Sri Lankan spinners' mid-innings choke

Quote Originally Posted by Lostman View Post
    Joys of opening day, lets even blue jays fans think they have a chance in the AL east
    WAC

Not surprising though, considering which fan base you're a part of.

Or the fact that he's right.

Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    Or the fact that he's right.
    T'was in reference to him picking on the smaller teams ftr, not as to why he held that opinion.

As for the Jays' chances for postseason baseball, it's pretty silly to completely write them off. It's true they haven't been competitive as a unit, despite starting well each season. And being in one of the most competitive divisions doesn't help.

But they have been improving as a result of one of the strongest farm systems in baseball. We all know what a strong farm system did for a team like Tampa Bay. And guys like Lawrie are finally starting to come through. The kid has potential and tremendous range at third base, arguably the best in the AL. It's clear that this ball club has placed a strong focus on scouting and player development. And one of our biggest issues was in regards to the strength of the bullpen, which has also seen some major improvements with the addition of guys like Cordero and Sergio Santos.

Again, I'm not saying we'll necessarily make it through this year, especially with the starting rotation still a weak spot, but it's definitely something to look forward to for Jays' fans in the coming years. And obviously, a lot depends on injuries too. But I wouldn't be surprised if we finish above the Red Sox this year.

EDIT: Also, this club has had a lot of spirit since near the end of last season. You can see the guys have good chemistry, are enjoying their baseball, and have that hunger to win games. I could see this even in these two games against Cleveland, to start the season off, they've come back from behind and shown that spirit to come up big in crunch situations. Of course, this is just a matter of perception though.
    Last edited by Turbinator; 07-04-2012 at 04:05 PM.

I think next year you're a legitimate chance (because we'll trade Shields at some stage, and probably take a slight step back offensively again) but I don't see it this year. To be taken seriously by most people I'd say you need to add a top line guy to your rotation (Shields? haha) but I don't think it would be too much of a problem if Morrow takes another step forward and your position players continue to perform.

Also, Lolston Lol Sox.

Page 46 of 66 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread Information