• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Major League Baseball

Fusion

Global Moderator
This is a bad decision where Texas is just trying to throw money to answer the Angels spending spree.
Japanese pitchers are horrible, at best they are one season wonders (dice k/ Nomo).
Or at worse they are kei igawa or Irabu.

batters on the other hand have been awesome.
I don't think the Rangers wanted to make a free agent splash to answer the Angels. Remember, if they wanted to, they could've kept CJ. They could've also just signed Fielder to answer Pujols. Signing Yu is a big risk for sure, based on the past performance history of Japanese pitchers. However, there's almost universal belief that Yu is different. The Rangers have scouted him for the past 3 years and are sold on him. Darvish throws a two seamer, four seamer, and a cut fastball, with the four seamer supposedly getting up to 95 mph. He also has a slider and a curveball, along with a changeup. That's a lot in his arsenal.

I don't doubt his stuff, but I do have two concerns. How will he adapt to the Texas heat and how will the bigger baseball they use in America effect him?

Last edited:

Lostman

State Captain
Well that is the main problem, historically Japanese pitchers have not been able to adjust in the states.

Most Japanese pitchers when they come here are mid career. (26-32) So they have been pitching for 10+ years with their own routine etc. And in the MLB it is so much different to Japan with longer seasons and shorter rest time in between starts. And finally the quality of their opponents are much higher here. To pay a guy ~140 million with all these questions marks is just bad business imo. Should have just paid off Wilson.

DingDong

State Captain
Well that is the main problem, historically Japanese pitchers have not been able to adjust in the states.

Most Japanese pitchers when they come here are mid career. (26-32) So they have been pitching for 10+ years with their own routine etc. And in the MLB it is so much different to Japan with longer seasons and shorter rest time in between starts. And finally the quality of their opponents are much higher here. To pay a guy ~140 million with all these questions marks is just bad business imo. Should have just paid off Wilson.
also don't forget how colby lewis went in japan and then back in the states

Ausfanintoronto

Cricket Spectator
Yu Darvish is far better than Dice-K ...having said that, it is a massive risk! I don't know why they wouldn't re-sign CJ Wilson at 75 Mil instead of spending 100 Mil + on someone who has not pitched a single inning in the Major Leagues

Fusion

Global Moderator
Yu Darvish is far better than Dice-K ...having said that, it is a massive risk! I don't know why they wouldn't re-sign CJ Wilson at 75 Mil instead of spending 100 Mil + on someone who has not pitched a single inning in the Major Leagues
The Rangers didn't trust CJ to be a true ace. His playoff performances scared them off. On the other hand, they think Yu can be a dominant pitcher. Time will tell if they are right.

Ausfanintoronto

Cricket Spectator
The Rangers didn't trust CJ to be a true ace. His playoff performances scared them off. On the other hand, they think Yu can be a dominant pitcher. Time will tell if they are right.
Well thats silly then. Numerous GM's have mentioned in the past have mentioned that they don't evaluate or pay a pitcher based on his playoff performances (granted that CJ was terrible).

Even if Yu is dominant they would have spent Roy Halladay/Cliff Lee type money. He may be good but I would be surprised if he is that dominant. Its a huge risk at this point.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Holy ****!

Pineda-Montero trade.

I like the idea, but it really depends on who the other players in the deal are. First impressions, I'd rather it be just Pineda for Montero and Noesi. Campos is a great looking pitching prospect.

But hey, lots of great pitching prospects never make it to the majors.

Montero is a much needed bat for the M's and, while he was awesome last year, Pineda is far from a sure thing. He still has to work on a change-up.

Fusion

Global Moderator
My initial reaction is that the Yanks just got a steal. I'd rather have Pineda! He's a potential No. 1. Also, the M's could've had Montero earlier for Cliff Lee (who they were going to trade regardless). They could've had both Montero and Pineda.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Yeah, or Pineda could get lit up outside of Safeco, or his arm could fall off.

Ultimately, the M's are dealing a strength for a weakness.

Walker, Paxton, and Hultzen are all good pitching prospects in the high minors. Whereas hitting-wise the cupboard is pretty bare. Hitting prospects are a lot safer than pitching prospects too. Depends if Montero is a catcher too, although I doubt it.

Anyhoo, in isolation it probably looks like a steal for the Yanks, but viewing the whole picture I think it's not bad for the M's. It's probably a deal best evaluated 5 years down the track.

Lostman

State Captain
Damn, I was sooo excited to watch Montero play for the yanks.
Man can straight up hit, righty with opposite field power at Yankee stadium, I thought he could have hit 25 hrs at minimum in his rookie season.

Both teams get what they need from this trade though.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Both teams get what they need from this trade though.
Yeah, this.

On the surface it's a win to the Yanks. The M's really needed a bat, and they were willing to slightly over pay. I'm fine with that.

I hope they both turn out to be studs.
(Campos, not so much)

Ausfanintoronto

Cricket Spectator
As a Yankees fan im devastated to not have Jesus but quite frankly im glad we got the the most precious commodity in return....Pineda is cost controlled too!

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
As a Yankees fan im devastated to not have Jesus but quite frankly im glad we got the the most precious commodity in return....Pineda is cost controlled too!
You gotta give quality to get quality. Win-win.

Jose Campos could come back to haunt the M's in 4-5 years time. But assuming the deal wouldn't have been done any other way, it's probably worth the over-pay.

As a Yankees fan you must be pleased at seeing less AJ Burnett. :)

Lostman

State Captain
Good defense and game calling etc.
Yankees don't really need a lot of offense from catcher, since they get a lot of production from center field and 2nd base.

DingDong

State Captain
Good defense and game calling etc.
Yankees don't really need a lot of offense from catcher, since they get a lot of production from center field and 2nd base.
thanks lostman what r ur thoughts on losing montero reckon he was pretty good for a switch hitter and especially cos yankees arent getting much output from the righties right now

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Montero isn't really a catcher either.

With the M's he will probably catch a bit, but end up as 1B/DH. With the Yankees there wasn't much room for that with big contracts at 1B (Tex) and DH (eventually ARoid).

Yanks also have a couple of other catching prospects in Romine and Sanchez.