• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Major League Baseball

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Mariners are my team too, not enjoying this season very much tbh.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I'm a fan of a sorry franchise known as the Texas Rangers. Currently in the bottom 5 of the league. It's amazing that a team which has had numerous superstars in its roster over the years (Nolan Ryan, Pudge, A-Rod, Juan Gonzales, Palmero just to name a few) has never won a playoff series, much less the pennant. I think with our current lineup, we're a candidate to be no-hit every night. And of course the pitching sucks like every year. It's gonna be another LONG year.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I'm a fan of a sorry franchise known as the Texas Rangers. Currently in the bottom 5 of the league. It's amazing that a team which has had numerous superstars in its roster over the years (Nolan Ryan, Pudge, A-Rod, Juan Gonzales, Palmero just to name a few) has never won a playoff series, much less the pennant. I think with our current lineup, we're a candidate to be no-hit every night. And of course the pitching sucks like every year. It's gonna be another LONG year.
A couple of pitchers banned for taking steroids, and one might forgiven for thinking you were talking about your cricket team... :ph34r:

Bought a baseball game by SI (the guys who make Football Manager, though it's a different programmer) recently, so am trying to get into MLB. Games aren't exactly on at Norway-friendly times, though, and I'm struggling to find a franchise that is likeable. (Possibly the Red Sox - but they've had success recently...)

Last edited:

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Dont forget the absolutely awesome Chan Ho Park. Yeah, you guys forked out over 200million for A-Rod (250mil was it?) but one player doesn't make a team. Pitching has always been shocking. Although this years Mariners < Rangers in the pitching department unfortunately. Meh, at least we have Felix but......
Funny that as soon as A-Rod left for the Yanks the Rangers started playing decent...

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
A couple of pitchers banned for taking steroids, and one might forgiven for thinking you were talking about your cricket team... :ph34r:

Bought a baseball game by SI (the guys who make Football Manager, though it's a different programmer) recently, so am trying to get into MLB. Games aren't exactly on at Norway-friendly times, though, and I'm struggling to find a franchise that is likeable. (Possibly the Red Sox - but they've had success recently...)
Yeah, I'm looking for a team as well, none leap out at me though.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Was a Cubs fan for 30 minutes tonight.

Until they send this old guy to do 118 pitches and then, with the bases loaded, they take him off and the reliever gives up a grand slam with the team 2-4 down against the White Sox and a chance to level their record.

Then realised I don't want to wait another 99 years.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
The Jays have turned things around a bit here this season. And obviously as you all might know, being a Torontonian, I do cheer for the Jays. But anyways in a tough division with the Red Sox and Yanks almost gauranteed a spot every year in the playoffs, our chances are slim. However, we're improving each year because of the grand amount of money being spent by Ted Rogers on this franchise, except we had a bit of a bumpy start in this one. We had an amazing record last year, but what can ya do, the Red Sox and Yanks just won't let go of that playoff spot.

Yankees as usual starting out crap, but will start owning later on to sneak division.

Anyways, if you're looking for a team to cheer, cheer for the Jays :D. Even though BJ Ryan is injured for this season, I think we have a shot at it.

Also, 3 reasons why Jays have a bright future and are destined to make it past the Sox and Yanks in the seasons to come...

1) Great prospects coming through. Our Farm System is great.
2) More money being spent every year by Ted Rogers.
3) Jays recieve great support from the best fans on Earth ;).

Last edited:

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
The Jays have turned things around a bit here this season. And obviously as you all might know, being a Torontonian, I do cheer for the Jays. But anyways in a tough division with the Red Sox and Yanks almost gauranteed a spot every year in the playoffs, our chances are slim. However, we're improving each year because of the grand amount of money being spent by Ted Rogers on this franchise, except we had a bit of a bumpy start in this one.

Anyways, if you're looking for a team to cheer, cheer for the Jays :D.
Yeah, you lot have been unlucky with injuries, thats for sure. Expected Toronto to be decent threat but at 19-24 and the injuries it aint looking flash. Although with Boston playing out of their skins so far, and the AL Central being so strong, its hard to see any other team other than Boston going through to the playoffs from the East

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, you lot have been unlucky with injuries, thats for sure. Expected Toronto to be decent threat but at 19-24 and the injuries it aint looking flash. Although with Boston playing out of their skins so far, and the AL Central being so strong, its hard to see any other team other than Boston going through to the playoffs from the East
Nope you just can't leave out the Yankees. They'll make it no matter what. It's always been like this. Red Sox perform out of their skins in the first half, but Yankees turn up their game and somehow sneak past Boston.

Mark my words, Yankees will make it for sure. And Boston will take wildcard.

Hopefully I am wrong though...

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Nope you just can't leave out the Yankees. They'll make it no matter what. It's always been like this. Red Sox perform out of their skins in the first half, but Yankees turn up their game and somehow sneak past Boston.

Mark my words, Yankees will make it for sure. And Boston will take wildcard.
Yeah, I'm normally the one tha delivers lines like that, but I dont think so this year. And i doubt that the wildcard will go to the East. The Central is just far to strong.

But I spose its still only May. A long time till the calendar turns to September.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I'm normally the one tha delivers lines like that, but I dont think so this year. And i doubt that the wildcard will go to the East. The Central is just far to strong.

But I spose its still only May. A long time till the calendar turns to September.
Hmm yup. But I do hope you're right.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Unless the Yankees get some decent pitching, I'd have to agree with the sentiment they're out of the playoff race.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
At least my team, the Braves are playing well this season. Need to sor out Anruw Jones' hitting and the back end of the starting rotation and we're October bound.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
The rookie who pitched for them today looked good. Clippard I think his name was.
With Clemens, Mussina, Wang, Pettite they have 4 awesome SP's (Pavano will be on the DL most of the season, you watch). If they just stay healthy i doubt they will need most of these young guys who are starting (Rasner, De Salvo, Clippard, Hughes, Karstens etc). Great to see the Yanks paid 40mil to negotiate with Igawa only to send him down to the minors. :laugh: Even if he was the ace on my Japanese team, the Hanshin Tigers, he sold his soul the minute he donned pinstripes.

Hopefully they continue to be injury plagued, just for insurance

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Schilling's pitching for the BoSox and they're down 5-0 in the 3rd against NYY! Incredible.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Ouch. Our telecast isn't live, and doesn't start till 2am, so I'll have to wait to see it. hope the BoSox manage to pull it back.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Mariners finally get back to over .500. Ichiro on a 19 game hit streak.

Boston at 33-15, 11 game lead (11.5 over the Yanks :cool:). They are running away with the AL East, cant see them not winning it. There top of the rotation in Schilling, Beckett, Matsuzaka is awesome and Wakefield aint to shabby either.

Cleveland and Detroit slugging it out in the Central. Look for Detroit to win the division, Cleveland to taper off second half and end up in a fight for the WC with ChiSox.

Over to the Senior circuit, Mets and Braves still the best two teams. Milwaukee are slumping big time, leaving the central wide open. St Louis still dire. And the West, well, its wide open as always. Still think the Dodgers are the best in the division, but cant count out the much improved D-Backs or the Padres (if they can start hitting), or even the geriatric Giants

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
OK, tried to find a likeable baseball team now...

1) Eliminate all AL teams. They play with the DH and I'll have to endure 140 games with the DH if I support them. Not on, even though I'll be royally frustrated every time the starting pitcher comes to bat at the bottom of the fifth trailing 2-0, two outs, and bases loaded.

Cubs - lovable losers, managed to choke when I tried to support them, everyone likes them
Reds - history, but the market size of a gnat's behind
Astros - it's frigging Texas...
Brewers - Selig
Pirates - see Reds
Cardinals - defending World champions, would be glory-hunting
Braves - Liam supports them, plus Georgia's a Southern hole
Marlins - Play in a yankball stadium and Miami don't really want the team
Phillies - SS lives there.
Nationals - stole the Expos' place.
Mets - destined to be small fish in the Yankees' pond.
Rockies - the thought of endless grand slams against when leading 6-4 at home...
Dodgers - tossed out the number-crunchers after two years, unbalanced ownership, no direction, should have stayed in Brooklyn
Padres - won the division twice in a row, clearly too successful
Giants - Barry Bonds

That leaves Arizona. Solid but not too much resources, people like baseball, they've ben struggling recently but don't have too tough a division, rebuilding for the future after spending over their heads so won't do that again, they'll have the opportunity to strike out Barry Bonds every so often, I had a really nice teacher from Arizona...

Deal. Go the Diamondbacks. :)