• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Major League Baseball

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's one of those baseball strategies that has been followed since the beginning of time, but now more and more is getting criticized as counterproductive. Unless a speedy hitter is genuinely trying to bunt for a hit (which happens, but is very rare), the point is to advance the runner(s) into scoring position. The thought process is that if you have a runner on 1st with zero out, you lay down a bunt and advance said runner to 2nd. Now a base hit can bring him home (whereas before he would probably only make it to 3rd on a base hit). You wouldn't normally bunt with your "power" hitter though. Since they can hit a home run at any given time, they will not be asked to sacrifice bunt. You would normally bunt with either the top or bottom of your batting order.

Of course, you have sacrificed an out to advance the runner. If you have read or seen "Moneyball", you may know that some of the teams now believe bunting is counterproductive. They believe you should never give up an out just to advance a runner one base. This new view is still a minority one though. The vast majority of teams will still lay down a "sacrifice" bunt to advance the runner.
Haha yeah I'm a big fan of Moneyball, hence the question. There was one play in the Arizona-Phillies game last night where it worked, but it relied on the pitcher making an arse of his attempt to get the runner out at home plate. When you only get three outs per inning, to me it just makes no sense to sacrifice one of those outs in order to advance a guy to second base when you could get a base hit anyway and have two men on base with no outs.

Btw, give me a good reason to support the Texas Rangers. :p

Fusion

Global Moderator
Btw, give me a good reason to support the Texas Rangers. :p
To be perfectly honest, I can't sell you on much. :p The Rangers don't have a winning history or baseball tradition like the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Cardinals etc. What they do have is a fun team. The team is well balanced, built mostly through excellent trades and drafts. They are good bunch of guys that reflect the attitude of their manger of always playing hard and aggressive baseball. They can beat you through power hitting (and most often do), but they can also manufacture runs through their speed on the bases. They don't have a ***y pitching ace like other teams, but their rotation is still amongst the best in the league. You have "redemption" stories like Josh Hamilton (Google him), and the consummate team mate and good-guy Michael Young. And oh, their President is Nolan Ryan. One of the most legendary baseball players of all time. When he was in his 40's, he was still pitching for the Texas Rangers and punching the hell out of guys half his age when they dared to charge the mound against him. Sold yet?

Fusion

Global Moderator
Rangers up 2-1. I think that's the most nervous I've been watching a Rangers game all year. This Rays team does not quit. They keep coming back and putting up pressure. A big exhale for me. Huge win.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I think that's the series, need a big big effort from Hellickson to get up from here. I presume Shields and Price will both go on short rest? Interesting whether Moore will go again before them really.

Fusion

Global Moderator
My gosh that was a massive collision at the plate. Rodriguez scores the Rays' first run via the collision-at-the-plate play. Every time I watch that replay, I wince. I feel bad for Napoli. There's perhaps no other instance in sports where a player is as defenseless as a catcher waiting for a guy running 100 mph to come crash into him (and while also trying to catch the baseball on a relay throw and turn around to cover the base). It's a huge baseball tradition, but one that probably needs to be retired.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Rangers back in ALCS for the second straight year!! :) Oh how I love this team. Adrian Beltre is such a beast. 3 HR's! Wow. I'm personally rooting for the Tigers in the other ALDS series because that would give the Rangers home field advantage.

By the way, mad respect for the Rays. They are one resilient team that refused to give up. They also have 2 of the best young pitchers in the game and are set for long term success.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Long term success is a stretch with that payroll. If Maddon goes we're ****ed, and we'll likely lose Shields this off-season. We have pitching depth but it may not be able to cope. I fear for us.

ps. So devo.

Lostman

State Captain
Rangers back in ALCS for the second straight year!! :) Oh how I love this team. Adrian Beltre is such a beast. 3 HR's! Wow. I'm personally rooting for the Tigers in the other ALDS series because that would give the Rangers home field advantage.
Yanks + Nova to take care of Detroit tonight.
And then Yankees to to smack around Rangers in ALCS with payback for last year.
Rangers minus C.Lee easy:p

Fusion

Global Moderator
To be perfectly honest, I can't sell you on much. :p The Rangers don't have a winning history or baseball tradition like the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Cardinals etc.
What history books do you read?:laugh::laugh:
<-------------
Ahem

Yanks + Nova to take care of Detroit tonight.
And then Yankees to to smack around Rangers in ALCS with payback for last year.
Rangers minus C.Lee easy:p
First, get past the Tigers. Then you can start dreaming about beating the Rangers. We're a better, more balanced team than the club that "smacked" you around last year. Every aspect of the team is better than last year: pitching, hitting, defense, speed. All of this doesn’t mean an automatic win over whoever we play in the ALCS, but there’s no doubt in my mind that we’ll be favorites.

P.S: Hey GF, one other reason to support the Rangers: We don't have the pretentious, front-running fans like those from some other teams. :p

Fusion

Global Moderator
You have Texans as fans, no?
Yes, only the good kind.

Fusion, I don't care about the lack of history sorrounding the Rangers, my NBA team is the Magic. :p
Well then you’ll fit right in. In all seriousness, the Rangers have been a remarkable storyline these past few years. Just a year ago, the team filed for bankruptcy because of the ineptness of its (former) owner Tom Hicks. Yes, the same Hicks who ran down Liverpool did the same exact thing to the Texas Rangers. The Rangers were forced to borrow money from MLB to continue operating. They were unable to sign their top draft pick because they didn’t have the money to give him the signing bonus he was looking for. The team went through a fascinating court room drama where an auction had to take place to determine the buyer. In the end, a group led by Nolan Ryan won the auction. And oh, news broke right before the 2010 season started that the Manager, Ron Washington, had failed a drug test (cocaine). In spite of all this chaos, the General Manager had quietly assembled a team through trades and smart free agent signings that will go on to win the American League. The team decided not to fire the Manager and give him a second chance. This turned out to be a brilliant move as the players rallied around him and clearly love playing for the guy. How many teams can you think of that go through bankruptcy in the same year as they’re winning the pennant and also assembling a team that will contend for the playoffs for years to come? :)

Last edited:

Lostman

State Captain
Ahem

P.S: Hey GF, one other reason to support the Rangers: We don't have the pretentious, front-running fans like those from some other teams. :p
Apologies, I saw winning and red sox in the same sentence and had my usual Yankee fan reaction:p

And I am no front running fan I was following the Yanks while they had Mattingly at 1st and T.Fernandez at SS.

Lostman

State Captain
Well then you’ll fit right in. In all seriousness, the Rangers have been a remarkable storyline these past few years. Just a year ago, the team filed for bankruptcy because of the ineptness of its (former) owner Tom Hicks. Yes, the same Hicks who ran down Liverpool did the same exact thing to the Texas Rangers.
True, I have to give the Rangers organization credit for the massive turn around.
Also the owner before Hicks was Dubya. I cant decide if this is a reason to dislike them or like them though.:blink:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Amen to that.

So cool to have three series tied at 2-2. I'm gonna be glued to the live scoring this afternoon and tomorrow.

Love the playoffs. One day my Mets will be back there.

Last edited: