• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Major League Baseball

Fusion

Global Moderator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The more I think about it, the more I think that Boston's only shot is to win the division. I'd love if the Yankees missed the playoffs. It'd be my dream scenario, after my eternal dream that Chelsea gets relegated from the Prem.

Re: Ivan Rodriguez, I've been a fan of his since his Texas days a little while back, and he's a terrific player and leader. He did a decent job with the 2005 Tigers too. I didn't expect them to be holding on this well, but then the White Sox (a more likely challenger than the Twins IMO) have been a disappointment.
I think Boston seems to be tanking it in. I think mentally they've given up on the season. I would be very surprised if they come back to win the AL East. I think the Wild Card winner will come from the Central.

You know Ivan Rodriguez is my favorite player of all time. When I first started watching baseball, Pudge was a rookie hot shot catcher for the Texas Rangers. He immediately became my favorite player and I've admired him ever since. To me, he is the best catcher of all time. Yogi and Bench supporters will dispute that, but neither of them had an arm like Pudge, plus he can match them offensively. No one has had a greater impact (defensively) on a game than Pudge. Opposing players are afraid to stray too far off the bag, managers usually don't call a steal on him, and he just has that intimidation factor all around. One of the saddest days of my sport watching life was when the Rangers let him walk away in free agency. The local press was almost gleeful when that happened. They always said that Pudge "didn't work well with pitchers, didn't call a good game, and only concentrated on throwing runners out". Well Pudge worked plenty well with Florida's young pitchers on his way to the World Series! And now he's doing the same with Det. Class player and all time legend. I now end my tribute to Pudge. You may resume regularly scheduled programming.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Anyone been watching the World Series so far?

I managed to last the whole of the 4th game this morning, was pretty good with Cardinals winning 4-3. I reckon the Tigers will pull one back today and then St Louis will finish it off in the 6th game.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I missed today's game, watched the first three though. I'd like to see it go to 7 but I probably want the Cardinals to win in the end.

With Rodriguez struggling so much with the bat Detroit seem to be struggling a bit as he's such an inspirational guy. Hope he can bounce back in Game 5.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Detroit's fielding really cost them that game. Can't believe the bottom of the seventh. Rodney was pitching his heart out only to see a fielder fall over in the deep going for a regulation catch and then a simple out was sent over the first baseman. Pretty big choke if you ask me, although the Cardinals never looked out of it.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've been totally out of it since I've come to England. Is the World Series being broadcast on Channel 5? What sort of times?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Baconator said:
It starts at about 1am and finishes at around 5am on Channel 5.
Yea, I presume there'll be a program on tonight after the rain mucked up the schedule? I usually only watch half an hour of it then go to sleep - beats those godawful phone-in 'quiz' shows.

Yea, CEEFAX says 00:45 tonight.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Any baseball fans on here?

So far the BoSox have been hot hot hot. Hideki Okajima upstaging Daisuke Matsuzaka, there pitching looks strong. And Ortiz, Manny and co have been as clutch as ever.

Yanks are sucking balls, hope they miss the playoffs. And now they have Roger 'Mr Selfish' Clemens. Another reason to hate the Yanks. (I only cheer for Matsui, and thats it)

My M's are still crap. Been at 500 all year, our offseason pitching aquistions are turning out to be rubbish as i picked. Jeff Weaver (14+ ERA), plain old average Batista and Ramirez. At least Washburn has been better than last year, but not signing the decent Meche in favour of Weaver seems to have been a big bluey, and the Soriano for Ramirez trade still makes no sense. Expect the GM, Bill Bavasi, to be gone come next offseason.
Ichiro has been on a tear of late though, my fav player. Batting over .500 the last week, brought his average up to .327 and since getting his consecutive steals streak snapped has stole 5 bases in 2 games. He's so gun.

Over to the NL. BrewCrew have been a big surprise, but have just started to slump.
Cardinals are in an unsual position of being under .500. The loss of Carpenter was huge, cant see them making the playoffs at this rate.

So any baseball followers out there?

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
I generally try and watch at least one of the two games a week we get over here, but tbh, it's pretty hard to follow what's really going on from that. Have been trying to find a team to follow as well, but one doesn't really jump out at me.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
I generally try and watch at least one of the two games a week we get over here, but tbh, it's pretty hard to follow what's really going on from that. Have been trying to find a team to follow as well, but one doesn't really jump out at me.
Used to watch parts of atleast 3-4 games a week. But becuase of the timing (on betwenn 6am-11am) and my lack of pay TV, I rarely get to see a game these days, have to check on results thru the net.

I am a Mariners fan basically because I'm in Japan, and the Mariners have Ichiro. When I first started watching baseball, back in 2002, when i was in Japan for my second stint, Mariners games were on every morning.

The Mariners were great back thenm but they suck now. Anyways, they have my favourite player, and another Japanese player in Kenji Johjima. I waiting for them to fire the GM, and start building a proper squad, but maybe it is too late. With Ichiro becoming a free agent next year, he could jump ship. He has said before that he wants to be on a team that wants to win, and with the Mariners current GM, they certainly aint showing such signs. Maybe i might jump ship with Ichiro.