• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Major League Baseball

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Yankees don't make much sense. They don't really need another pitcher.
Sounds like BS, but you never know with those Skankees.

And while the M's are in desperate need of a catcher, Jesus Montero is projected to be a DH not catcher, as his defense is meh.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Rangers got him?! I was not expecting that.

And I don't think Lee and Lowe (and a US$2.25m subsidy) for Smoak and three minor-leaguers is that great a deal for the M's.

Plus, you have to wonder how a team with dodgy finances like the Rangers can handle such a big salary.

Still think the Yanks will get him in the offseason.

Last edited:

Agent TBY

International Captain
And I don't think Lee and Lowe (and a US$2.25m subsidy) for Smoak and three minor-leaguers is that great a deal for the M's.
Right, it's a ****ty deal.

Smoak's got some huge upside though, so let's see how this turns out.

Fusion

Global Moderator
As a Rangers fan, I'm over the moon about getting Lee. This makes us the front-runners in the AL West. Love it.

However, it's not even close to being a "bad" deal for the M's. The Rangers are getting Lee for essentially half a season. In return, they had to give up their First Baseman of the future in Justin Smoak and their number one draft pick from a few years ago in Blake Beavan. I've watched nearly every Rangers game this year and trust me when I tell you that Smoak is gonna be a solid player in this league for years to come. The knock against him is that he can't hit the lefty's, but I bet in time he overcomes that. He can be the next Adrian Gonzales (another 1B that the Rangers traded away). Blake Beavan is a solid pitching prospect. At worst, he will be an effective long set-up man for the Mariners and at best he can be a number 3 or 4 man in the rotation. So in short, the Rangers get arguably the best pitcher in baseball to help them win this year, but they had to give up a HEFTY price in return.

benchmark00

Weird game between the Rockies and the Padres. Col won 10-8 but only scored in two innings (two 5 run).

Meanwhile my dodgers continue on their winnings way. Us and the Rockies are now 2 games behind the Padres. Prediction: Dodgers top, Rockies second, Padres third.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
The Rangers got him?! I was not expecting that.

$2.5m, half a season of Cliff Lee, a very injured non-amazing reliever for a top 15 prospect + 3 other useful prospects?

_Ed_

So it's the Home Run Derby tomorrow. Always entertaining.

I hope someone goes on a Hamilton-esque rampage. Although anyone who does that is always ****ed by the time the final round comes along, so someone else ends up winning the thing.

Dydl

International Debutant
Quite enjoyed watching the Home Run Derby. Wasn't sure what to expect, but it was good viewing. Young and Wells would be feeling pretty disappointed though.

Also managed to catch the Celebrity Softball game yesterday. Loved it when Jennie Finch hit a home run and the next three batters or so all failed to repeat the feat.

Not too many surprises with the lineups and starting pitchers being anounced earlier today. Ethier starting in center is the main talking point. Hasn't played there at all in the Majors, so it'll be interesting to see how that goes.

_Ed_

The National League won the All-Star game for the first time since 1996. Yay NL!

Oh, and George Steinbrenner died.

_Ed_

The Mets are 2-8 in their last 10. :( Diabolical road trip out west. Already down 1-0 after the first inning at Dodger Stadium, so I'm not confident of a turnaround today.

_Ed_

Garza pitched the fifth no-hitter of the season today. It's really been a pitchers' season, hasn't it?

Dydl

International Debutant
A-Rod taking his time getting to 600 HRs. Seems like his ABs always end in pop-ups lately. Players around A-Rod in the order having no trouble hitting the ball out of the park.

Some interesting trades over the last couple of days.

_Ed_

I was particularly surprised that the Yanks picked up Berkman. He's way past his best, and I just don't see him playing much of a role for them.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
A-Rod's hitting like .300 with doubles and stuff, he's not hitting poorly, they're just not leaving the park.

_Ed_

Diamondbacks 14
Mets 1

Our season is falling to pieces...again. We're tumbling off the pace in the second half of the season...again.

_Ed_

Probably.

But I feel better about the world in the knowledge that A Rod is still stuck on 599. It's becoming quite amusing.