• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Major League Baseball

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know I complained about ESPN showing too many Yankees-Red Sox games, but this one is quite the thriller. NY led 6-1 after two, but it's now 8-7 to Boston in the eighth.

_Ed_

Good to see my Mets win the Subway Series.

But they gave me a fright. They led 6-1 into the ninth, but the Yankees narrowed that to 6-4 before we finally got those last three outs.

EDIT: Watching the replay as we speak. Loving the "Let's go Yankees!"-"Yankees suck!" competing chants that started in the first inning and don't seem likely to stop any time soon.

Last edited:

_Ed_

D.Wright 3-3, HR, 2 RBI

He's back! Still only averaging .270 (he hit .325 in 2007), but the signs are promising.

99*

International Debutant
Well, have to feel for that Tigers pitcher there. Just had a perfect game stolen from him.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Well, have to feel for that Tigers pitcher there. Just had a perfect game stolen from him.
That is so heartbreaking. And there would'nt even be a question of "well he might not have gotten it" as it was the LAST OUT of the game! Man, I feel for both Galarraga and the umpire. That ump will never live this call down.

Edit: The umpire has apologized for the call:

" I just cost that kid a perfect game,'' Joyce said. " I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay."

" It was the biggest call of my career," said Joyce.

Apparently, Galarraga was very gracious after the game saying that he felt bad for the ump.

Last edited:

Agent TBY

International Captain
Awesome 9th for the Rays here.

That is so heartbreaking. And there would'nt even be a question of "well he might not have gotten it" as it was the LAST OUT of the game! Man, I feel for both Galarraga and the umpire. That ump will never live this call down.
Just youtubed it. Wow, what a shocker.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Ken Griffey jr retired?

That came out of nowhere. :blink: Well, not really, but that was random.
Yeah, it came out of the blue a bit, but it's been on the cards for a while. He's been frankly awful this season. It's for the best. It's a shame he couldn't go out in better style.

Edit: The umpire has apologized for the call:

" I just cost that kid a perfect game,'' Joyce said. " I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay."

" It was the biggest call of my career," said Joyce.

Apparently, Galarraga was very gracious after the game saying that he felt bad for the ump.
Yeah, dreadful for everyone. It will in all likelihood be Galarraga's only shot at a perfect game. So heartbreaking for him.

Feel for the ump, but that was a truly awful call.

One positive that could be taken out of this is that it looks likely a third umpire-type thing will be introduced. You'd have to ask why it took this long.

benchmark00

****ing Padres. They were 1-0 down, bottom of the ninth, they get a single to equal... then Gonzalez socks a slam in the 11th for the win.

That top spot in the West was ours ffs.

_Ed_

Jumping on the Dodgers bandwagon for the day. I've got a nice wee multi finishing on them. Hold on to this 2-0 lead, lads. Three and a half innings to go.

EDIT: Down 9-2 now. ****. Come on, guys. Make an epic comeback. You can do it.

EDIT AGAIN: Or not.

In other news, how good is Mike Leake? 4-0 in his rookie season. A pitcher to watch, for sure. If he keeps this up, he could challenge Heyward for the Rookie of the Year award.

Last edited:

Agent TBY

International Captain
Strasburg will pitch well in his first MLB start - I've been officially sucked in by the hype, and I'm on the bandwagon. The Nationals will still suck, though, and that's why I've fallen short of claiming he'll win his first start. To do that, your team has to score some runs.
Can't wait for this on Tuesday. He's facing the Pirates too, so he might actually win!

_Ed_

Yeah, he's hardly being thrown in the deep end with a home game against the Pirates for his debut.

Will be interesting, though. Want to see if this supposedly 100mph fastball is as good as people say.