• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Major League Baseball

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just minutes away from the season opener. Exciting stuff.

Some random predictions:

Not a particularly good Mets season - I like our lineup, but I'm concerned about the pitching (apart from Santana and K-Rod). Some of those other starters really need to step up and have a breakthrough season. Oh, and Wright, Reyes and Beltran need to be fit.

There'll be too many Red Sox-Yankees games on NZ TV - It's an amazing rivalry, but come on. I don't want to see the same two teams playing each other every week. There are some really exciting teams in the league this year - the Dodgers, Rockies, Rays and Giants are teams I'm interested in seeing, to name just a few - so please, give us some variety.

The Mariners will be pretty good - I like the moves they made in the off-season. Cliff Lee is the big name, and obviously he'll add a lot to their rotation. I also like the fact that Griffey's back in Seattle. Milton Bradley is the question mark - he seems to help some teams and hinder many others. I hope he's productive with the Mariners.

Strasburg will pitch well in his first MLB start - I've been officially sucked in by the hype, and I'm on the bandwagon. The Nationals will still suck, though, and that's why I've fallen short of claiming he'll win his first start. To do that, your team has to score some runs.

A backward step by the Twins
- It's great that they've signed Mauer for essentially the rest of his career, but the dome had been such a wonderful home ground for them, and I wonder if they might struggle to adjust to the new park and establish that same stranglehold over opposing teams there.

Pirates will be poo - Again. They're quite endearingly bad - they might now be my second favourite team. I'd love to see them do well, but they won't.

That's about all I've got for now. Anyone have anything to add?

Last edited:

DingDong

State Captain
boston 9 yankees 7 good opening day game

wierd first home run when posada rung if off the foul ball post but homer is a homer :)

_Ed_

The Braves might have found a bit of a superstar. Jason Heyward had a huge reputation coming into this season, and yesterday he hit a 3-run HR in his first ever major league at-bat!

_Ed_

I was a bit excited when the Mets won their first game. Now we're 1-2. Business as usual. :(

_Ed_

Unusual game happening at Busch - all tied up at 0-0 in the bottom of the 13th!

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
ended up going to 20 mets 2 cardinals 1
I saw that game - I was confused by the time it was 0-0 in the 11th, but going to 20 innings, Jesus H. Christ.

They were even holding up the footy until the baseball finished, because they thought it just couldn't go on that long.

And the poor bloke who had ten bucks on over 8.5 runs, well, if you can't get them in 20 innings, you're just not punting right.

_Ed_

They are a good team. Not entirely convinced about their pitching, though.

_Ed_

Ended up at a nice 20-0.

Good to see Prince Fielder finally off the mark in HRs too. Awful start to the season for him.

_Ed_

Haha, some little Aussie bloke just tonked a massive home run in his first Major League at bat.

Luke Hughes, his name is. Only the 5th guy to achieve that feat for the Twins.

Dydl

International Debutant
Geez, Ethier's awesome atm.

3-3 this game. Pity he's not being backed up by his team-mates so far.

That walk-off grand slam was something too.

_Ed_

Yeah he's class. Currently leading the NL in average, HR and RBI. Huge season.

So some guy I've hardly heard of just pitched a perfect game for the A's. Congrats, Dallas Braden, whoever you are.

_Ed_

Great to see the Mets come back from 6-1 down to win 8-6.

Not so great that I didn't have enough faith to get on when the Mets were paying $10 to win at 6-1 down.