• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hockey World Cup

Salamuddin

International Debutant
2 weeks to go till the greatest event on earth kicks of::

This is the Pakistan team: Salman Akbar, Nasir Ahmed, Sohail Abbas, Zeeshan Ashraf, Ehsanullah, Ghzanfar Ali, Mohammad Imran, Adnan Maqsood, Mohammad Saqlain (capt), Waseem Ahmed, Dilawar Husain, Rehan Butt (vice-capt), Waqas Akbar, Shakeel Abbasi, Akhtar Ali, Mohammad Shabbir, Adnan Zakir and Mohammad Zubair.

These are the pools:

Pool A : Pakistan, Australia, Spain, Japan, Argentina, New Zealand
Pool B: Germany, Holland, India , England, South Africa, Korea

Predicted results:
Pak 1 AUs 1
Pak 0 ESP 2
PAK 3 NZL 0
PAK 2 ARG 2
PAK 3 JAP 1

Playoff for 5-8
PAK 2 KOR 1
PAK 2-INDIA 2 (AET) Pak win 5-4 on penalties

SEMIS
SPAIN 1 NED 0
AUS 2 GER 3

FINAL
SPAIN 2 GER 0

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Czech Republic to win it.

Oh wait...this is the grass version where players can't even go within five yards of each other and not lift the stick, isn't it...

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
Czech Republic to win it.

Oh wait...this is the grass version where players can't even go within five yards of each other and not lift the stick, isn't it...
You mean: this is the real version where players can only use one side of the stick and tackles don't consist of smashing heavily padded players into glass, thus ensuring a game of far higher skill and far less violence

:p

And by the way, the 'no lifting stick above shoulder height' law was abolished ages ago.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Anyway, I expect one of Australia, Germany of the Netherlands will win. I personally think Spain are a bit overrated, though they will probably still make the semis. NZ is underrated as usual, we're well capable of competiting with the likes of Germany (we seem to have a massive problem with Australia though) - I'm pretty sure we've beaten or at least drawn with every one of the top five teams bar Australia in the last couple of years. I don't think India and Korea are that flash, from what I've seen they only get their higher world ratings due to the fact that they play more than us. Pakistan can always cause a surprise, and especially with Sohail Abbas around an upset it always possible (the same could be said about us and Hayden Shaw). I just hope we get some decent media coverage over here.

PS: I think there was a thread about this started a few months ago.

cricketboy29

International Regular
India forever....:D. even though I don't think we've won anything for quite some time in hockey..Then again, I wouldn't know even if we had..

BoyBrumby

Englishman
How good, bad or indifferent are we nowadays? I've lost interest somewhat since GB won the Olympics in '88.

I have to say Ice Hockey >>>> Field Hockey for mine too.

SA

Banned
Pakistan would be playing attacking hockey & have a fair bit of chance to win this World Cup.Expecting Sohail Abas,Wasim Ahmed,Shakeel Abbasi & Salman Akbar to show good performance in this Wold Cup.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
fun game to play, oke to watch...
its Hollands 2nds biggest sport after Football.
I play it, but because cricket training in the winter sometimes is at the same time as hockey..never really got into it.
1st game of the season coming saturday, should be good fun :)

Anna

International Vice-Captain
I know the Eng team doctor :D lol. Anyway....it'll be interesting to see how we do......I sort of gave up watching when, possibly, the greatest keeper ever, Matt Mason, retired. He was awesome...

I haven't played for aaaaaages...wasn't good enough for the uni squad & the sports science team was too competitive....I'm hoping the geology department'll have a good team..

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I used to play hockey in years 8-11. I used to volunteer to go in goal without any pads on and was pretty good at that. Got two injuries from it though, one was someone mistaking my foot for the ball and clubbing it and the other was someone accidentially smacking me in the face with a stick. Also managed to break a stick by playing an exquisite cover drive with a hockey ball. 8-)

cricketboy29

International Regular
Matteh said:
Got two injuries from it though, one was someone mistaking my foot for the ball and clubbing it and the other was someone accidentially smacking me in the face with a stick.
Just think of all the cool hockey stories you can tell your grandkids,

Last edited:

David

International 12th Man
cricketboy29 said:
Just think of all the cool hockey stories you can tell your grandkids,
Such as when my keeper took me out?
The time our full back had to go to hospital because an opponent hit it into his chest so hard it actually lifted him off the ground?
When my teammate lifted the ball into my head?

Awesome game, hoping Australia can continue their recent grand slam dominance.

FRAZ

International Captain
A distant relative of mine "Wasim Ahmed" a.k.a. "M Wasim" used to be the captain of Pakistan national team".
I played this game for a while when I was in the grade 6 and 7 . Quit it and then I was focussed totaly on cricket . Its the national game of Pakistan and India too(if not mistaken) .

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Sir Redman said:
I don't think India and Korea are that flash, from what I've seen they only get their higher world ratings due to the fact that they play more than us. .
New Zealand lost 3 consecutive times to India at last month's Azlan Shah tournament.
including in the playoff for 3rd position.
I watched that playoff match and India looked clearly the more skilful team.

And Korea aren't exactly a poor side - they beat Aus 3-0 at the Azlan Shah tournament - when was tghe last time NZl even drew with Australia in a test ?