• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hockey World Cup

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
The final

Germany 4 - 3 Australia

A thrilling game by all reports, though I haven't seen it as various things just happened to clash with the replays that Sky have shown. I guess Matteh will be happy with the result.

Final placings:

1. Germany
2. Australia
3. Spain
4. Korea
5. England
6. Pakistan
7. Netherlands
8. New Zealand
9. Japan
10. Argentina
11. India
12. South Africa

After the start we had, I'm thoroughly hacked off about only coming 8th. We played diabolically against England, losing 4-3 after conceeding a goal in the last minute. Our tactics in our last four games have had me shaking my head - we played so well against Argentina and Pakistan because we looked to attack and put pressure on the opposition defence. Against England (and also Australia and Spain) we attacked only in patches. Vs England, we started off playing like a bunch of pansies for about the first 25 minutes. Then we suddenly clicked into gear and started putting pressure on the England defence, and we scored two goals within 5 minutes of each other. For whatever reason though, we then sat back for the rest of the game and let them run at us - exactly the tactic that saw Australia put seven past us. I was not really surpised at all when England snatched the victory - we didn't deserve it really, our defence turned to complete **** towards the end of this tournament. After this loss we then got beaten by the Netherlands 3-0 to leave us in 8th position.

Anyway, I could go on for several pages about the way we have played, but I'd just bore everyone to tears, so I'll resist. Just one more thing though:

My NZ player of the tournament: Ryan Archibald. Hayden Shaw was our top scorer; however since he was a part of our leaky defence he gets relegated to second.

Biggest NZ disappointment of the tournament Phil Burrows. Is internationally recognised as a dangerous striker who can break through a defence and score goals, however he didn't look remotely threatening in any game really. In fairness, most teams would have singled him out as a threat and marked him heavily; but he still looked lazy and predictable even when he had the ball in space.

Rant over.

Last edited:

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
*beeeep*...biggest hockey population ( bout 1 milion people play hockey and still growing rapidly) and we finish 7th :( what a poor show.