• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

British Athletics

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So 'Great Britain & Northern Ireland' finally win their first gold of the European Athletics Championships - on the last day of the event. What a pathetic performance.

What makes it more annoying is it was the overpaid layabout show pony sprinters who won the gold, who probably now think they've done a good job. You've got unadulterated crybaby knobhead Darren Campbell who sulks on every interview, drugs cheat Dwain Chambers who should have been banned for life and even as he wasn't should have been at home anyway so somebody with a future could compete instead. Then you've got Mark Lewis-Francis who manages to go backwards each year and is completely wasting his natural talent. These posers won't win jack in an Olympics. Marlon Devonish does at least seem to be vaguely likeable and has made something of his limited talent.

So where are the athletics medals going to come from in the 2008 Olympics and more importantly in London 2012?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Scaly piscine said:
So 'Great Britain & Northern Ireland' finally win their first gold of the European Athletics Championships - on the last day of the event. What a pathetic performance.

What makes it more annoying is it was the overpaid layabout show pony sprinters who won the gold, who probably now think they've done a good job. You've got unadulterated crybaby knobhead Darren Campbell who sulks on every interview, drugs cheat Dwain Chambers who should have been banned for life and even as he wasn't should have been at home anyway so somebody with a future could compete instead. Then you've got Mark Lewis-Francis who manages to go backwards each year and is completely wasting his natural talent. These posers won't win jack in an Olympics. Marlon Devonish does at least seem to be vaguely likeable and has made something of his limited talent.

So where are the athletics medals going to come from in the 2008 Olympics and more importantly in London 2012?
Thata boy, vent.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
We have gone backwards at a fair rate, it must be said. I don't know why; cyclical thing? It wasn't so very long ago our men won every gold medal (including the relays) up to 800m metres.

Swervy

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
We have gone backwards at a fair rate, it must be said. I don't know why; cyclical thing? It wasn't so very long ago our men won every gold medal (including the relays) up to 800m metres.
what, the 1980 Olympics???:)

Swervy

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
Nah, 1998 Euros from memory. Could be wrong tho.
yeah you are right...Gold in the 100, 200, 400, 4 X100, 4 X 400

Thought you might have been clinging onto Allan Wells winning the gold in the 1980 Olympics!!!:laugh:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Swervy said:
yeah you are right...Gold in the 100, 200, 400, 4 X100, 4 X 400

Thought you might have been clinging onto Allan Wells winning the gold in the 1980 Olympics!!!:laugh:
Only very vaguely remember it. :p

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
BoyBrumby said:
Nah, 1998 Euros from memory. Could be wrong tho.
We had a great all-round team at those Euros. Especially our 400m runners, who were pushing America's best, Johnson aside, but it all went wrong.

Craig

World Traveller
Scaly piscine said:

What happened to Paula Radcliffe?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Craig said:
What happened to Paula Radcliffe?
Got a baby.

Interestingly, though, the winning time in the women's 10k was 11 seconds faster than her personal best.

Edit: Oops, no, 30 seconds slower. :D Looked at the season best table instead of the personal best.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Team GB are a laughing stock and I think the 2012 olympics will be a bit of a howler from their point of view.. Look at Sydney, Athens and Beijing for competition and I think GB has a bit of a problem, what with our Millenium dome and Wembley projects being such a success :laugh:

Scaly piscine

They should make Scrabble an Olympic sport, give me hundreds of thousands of pounds in lottery grants a year and I'll have a better chance of winning than all of the guys at the European Championships put together...

Guess I'll have to make do with trying to win a few £500 prizes this year and helping out with a book.

benchmark00

Scaly piscine said:
They should make Scrabble an Olympic sport, give me hundreds of thousands of pounds in lottery grants a year and I'll have a better chance of winning than all of the guys at the European Championships put together...

Guess I'll have to make do with trying to win a few £500 prizes this year and helping out with a book.
The one thing more nerdy than scrabble.

A book on scrabble.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Scaly piscine said:

:laugh: Quite possibly my favourite post on CW ever.

Scaly piscine

benchmark00 said:
The one thing more nerdy than scrabble.

A book on scrabble.
It's worse than you think probably, it's a book analysing games in the 2005 World Scrabble Championships. It involves simulations, equity losses, rack inferences, pre-endgame and endgame sequences and lots of statty goodness...

Hopefully it'll be out in the next few months, available in all good bookshops and Tilefish probably, so you'll have something to add to your Christmas wish list.

benchmark00

Scaly piscine said:
It's worse than you think probably, it's a book analysing games in the 2005 World Scrabble Championships. It involves simulations, equity losses, rack inferences, pre-endgame and endgame sequences and lots of statty goodness...

Hopefully it'll be out in the next few months, available in all good bookshops and Tilefish probably, so you'll have something to add to your Christmas wish list.
Any chance of me scoring a signed copy?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Scaly piscine said:

do you pull on the first date?