• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official NFL 2006 Season Thread

Fusion

Global Moderator
Swervy said:
only one of those 5 you mentioned won this week.

I think Dallas and the Buccs are only just about 9-7 standard, would be very surprised if either really challenged for the NFC title this year (esp. Buccs)
Man...it was only week one!! The Cowboys lost to the Jags, which were 12-4 last year. The Giants lost to the Colts, one of the best teams in the NFL. Let's give it a few weeks before dismissing ANY team from the race!

Swervy

International Captain
Fusion said:
Man...it was only week one!! The Cowboys lost to the Jags, which were 12-4 last year. The Giants lost to the Colts, one of the best teams in the NFL. Let's give it a few weeks before dismissing ANY team from the race!
I'm not dismissing any team, however personel wise, the Cowboys and the Buccs probably arent quite up there with the elite

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
Carolina has a weakness against Atlanta but I expect them to roll over Vikes next week, although after watching GreenBay play I am not sure about my bet I made early in this thread.
Last year, the Panthers demolished the Vikes, mainly thanks to a huge mismatch between carolinas DL and Minnesotas OL. This year, the Vikes OL is much stronger (the left side being possibly the strongest in the NFC at least) and that makes the chance of an easy Panthers win less likely.

I expect Carolina to win but maybe only by a FG in a lowish scoring game

Fusion

Global Moderator
Swervy said:
I'm not dismissing any team, however personel wise, the Cowboys and the Buccs probably arent quite up there with the elite
And I'm saying it's too early to tell. I think no team in the NFC has a clear path to the Superbowl.

Swervy

International Captain
Fusion said:
And I'm saying it's too early to tell. I think no team in the NFC has a clear path to the Superbowl.
personel wise it is possible to pick the better teams, and the Cowboys arent up there at the top (yet) personel wise.I can categorically tell you that the Bears defensive players are a more talented gang of players than the Buccs....
Back to the Cowboys, Parcells is a great coach and a lot of getting that far through the season is down to coaching (Minnesota is a prime example of this, the talent in recent years has been surpressed by bad coaching, hence the mediocre performances), so yeah the Cowboys have a decent chance of playoffs this season, but are probably a year away from really pushing for even an NFC title shot

Fusion

Global Moderator
Swervy said:
Back to the Cowboys, Parcells is a great coach and a lot of getting that far through the season is down to coaching (Minnesota is a prime example of this, the talent in recent years has been surpressed by bad coaching, hence the mediocre performances), so yeah the Cowboys have a decent chance of playoffs this season, but are probably a year away from really pushing for even an NFC title shot
That's a fair assessment. Allow me to be a bit more optimistic for a few reasons. First, the Cowboys have a potent offense. With TO and Glen, their receiving corps is outstanding. Add to that a probowl tightend in Witten and a good young running back in Julius Jones, and you have great scoring options. Bledsoe is very immobile and prone to interceptions, but his record indicates that he's more than a serviceable quarterback. In a Parcel team, the quarterback is really just suppose to "manage" the game, not necessarily win it by himself (like a Manning, or Favre back in the day). The biggest weakness in the offense is the offensive line. If anything is going to derail the Cowboys this season, it's the OL. The Defense is actually one of the best in the NFC. So overall, I don't see why the Cowboys can't be as optimistic about their chances in the NFC as any of the other top teams.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Fusion said:
With TO and Glen, their receiving corps is outstanding. .
All that is negated by Drew Bledsoe. How can you get sacked so many times. And if, as you say, the offensive line is not good enough to protect him then I am sorry to say, Cowboys aren't making playoffs this year, they are in a very tough division with Eagles and Giants definately better than them and Skins as good as them, if not better.

Swervy

International Captain
Fusion said:
That's a fair assessment. Allow me to be a bit more optimistic for a few reasons. First, the Cowboys have a potent offense. With TO and Glen, their receiving corps is outstanding. Add to that a probowl tightend in Witten and a good young running back in Julius Jones, and you have great scoring options. Bledsoe is very immobile and prone to interceptions, but his record indicates that he's more than a serviceable quarterback. In a Parcel team, the quarterback is really just suppose to "manage" the game, not necessarily win it by himself (like a Manning, or Favre back in the day). The biggest weakness in the offense is the offensive line. If anything is going to derail the Cowboys this season, it's the OL. The Defense is actually one of the best in the NFC. So overall, I don't see why the Cowboys can't be as optimistic about their chances in the NFC as any of the other top teams.
Weak OL+ immobile QB= frustrated TO=trouble

Fusion

Global Moderator
Swervy said:
Weak OL+ immobile QB= frustrated TO=trouble
:laugh: Good point. But TO, IMO, would be on his best behavior this year because he wants to prove his critics wrong.

Sanz said:
All that is negated by Drew Bledsoe. How can you get sacked so many times. And if, as you say, the offensive line is not good enough to protect him then I am sorry to say, Cowboys aren't making playoffs this year, they are in a very tough division with Eagles and Giants definately better than them and Skins as good as them, if not better.
O Ye of little faith. First, I said their biggest weakness is OL. I didn't say that necessarily meant that the OL couldn't block for Bledsoe at all. Based on week one's performance, the OL did its part. Bledsoe had time to throw, he just had a bad game. We have to wait a few weeks to see how it all plays out. For the first 2 quarters of week one, the Cowboys looked unstoppable. Then they came crashing back to earth. Let's see if that was an anomaly or reality.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Panthers' gift was well acknowledged by the Vikings and Eagles lost.

Fusion - I watched the SNF Dallas vs. Skins, C'boys dont look like a playoff team to me.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Sanz said:
Fusion - I watched the SNF Dallas vs. Skins, C'boys dont look like a playoff team to me.
?? I'm surprised you said that. Dallas won that game comfortably at the end. Even with some sloppy penalties, Dallas didn't let go of its hold on the Dreadskins. The Offensive Line did its job, Bledsoe looked really good, the WR did their job (even with Owens breaking his finger and being a non-factor), the running game had a combined 129 yards, and the Defense allowed only 3 offensive pts. I don't see how this performance would make you think they weren't a playoff team.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Skins didn't score because they dont have a half decent quarterback, Portis is injured. Boys dropped as many as 8-10 passes in the first 2 quarters.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Baah, Steelers lost to Jags. Our defense was superb but offense was worse than Cleveland. All Credits to Jags though, they are a massively under-rated team. Two week in a row their offense has stood up well against two good defenses.

If the steelers dont mend their offense soon then they might not make the playoff because Baltimore is looking dangerous with the addition of Steve Mcnair and Carson Palmer in Cincy has shown that he is fit.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Sanz said:
Baah, Steelers lost to Jags. Our defense was superb but offense was worse than Cleveland. All Credits to Jags though, they are a massively under-rated team. Two week in a row their offense has stood up well against two good defenses.

If the steelers dont mend their offense soon then they might not make the playoff because Baltimore is looking dangerous with the addition of Steve Mcnair and Carson Palmer in Cincy has shown that he is fit.
Jags are a strong team. I'll say again, no shame in losing to them early in the season.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
No shame in losing to Jags, but our offense was terrible tonight. It was our defense that kept us in the game until the last few minutes (until Jags 3rd FG).