• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wendall Sailor sacked

Craig

World Traveller
After failing his drugs test, the ARU have terminated 32 year old Wendall Sailor's ARU contract and his career is pretty much over now afte recieving a two year ban.

I have to salute the ARU (too much French press for me) for their decision to this, finally it shows other sports, aside from cycling (as well as track athletes, weightlifters, skiers etc.) who are serious in rubbing out drug cheats from the sport.

The shame can't be said about the West Ham bloke Newton who was banned for seven months for testing positive for cocaine. Probably because he is a no-name loser.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
How is a person that uses recreational drugs a "drug cheat"? A two year ban from the sport is ridiculous.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
FaaipDeOiad said:
How is a person that uses recreational drugs a "drug cheat"? A two year ban from the sport is ridiculous.
I believe it's in their contract not to do such drugs.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
Agreed. A recreational drug shouldn't be treated as a performance enhancing one. Give him a fine, a short suspension maybe, and see if the police want to do anything, but he was just trying to get high, not get buff. All the same, it's pretty stupid on Sailor's part to do it.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
I believe it's in their contract not to do such drugs.
I'm not disputing that, and the termination of his contract for unprofessional behaviour is fine. Being banned from the sport as drug cheat is a different matter, though.

archie mac

International Coach
If it is not form enhancing then he is not a drug cheat. His body, his choice, his life. As long as he plays well on the field that is all that should matter.

Can he go back and play League?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Wendall Sailor, we had a bloke called Wendy at school and we called him that.. I never knew it was an actual person

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Cocaine is a bit of a grey area, performance-wise. It superficially enhances perception & reactions. Some people have alleged that Mats Wilander used to have his sweat bands covered in it & take sniffs throughout the course of games. I'd just like to add, for legal reasons, that those people are liars! :D

Dell back to League then?

Craig

World Traveller
As much of a chance of going back to league as Michael Vaughan has of playing in the first Ashes Test in Brisbane.

Besides there are no teams who need him even if he could.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Wendall Sailor, we had a bloke called Wendy at school and we called him that.. I never knew it was an actual person
We call a pale kid at school wendall, guy from the simpsons though...

Craig

World Traveller
archie mac said:
If it is not form enhancing then he is not a drug cheat. His body, his choice, his life. As long as he plays well on the field that is all that should matter.

Can he go back and play League?
Obviously I'm not you, but since you are a parent wouldn't you bad be glad he has been banned for taking cocaine and therfore be a bad role model for kids and the like?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Craig said:
As much of a chance of going back to league as Michael Vaughan has of playing in the first Ashes Test in Brisbane.

Besides there are no teams who need him even if he could.
I dunno, he's still a banner name & his game was always more suited to League than Union.

Plus with the salary cap now being ditched....

archie mac

International Coach
Craig said:
Obviously I'm not you, but since you are a parent wouldn't you bad be glad he has been banned for taking cocaine and therfore be a bad role model for kids and the like?

Why are sports people roll models and rock stars not? Kids look up to them both. If the ARU were serious about kids they would not report it, then the kids would not know.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
Why are sports people roll models and rock stars not? Kids look up to them both. If the ARU were serious about kids they would not report it, then the kids would not know.
:laugh: They would never have kept that secret

Craig

World Traveller
Well in all fairness that isn't going to happen now is it considering he is such a big name, and even if they did try a ACB style coverup, chances are it is going to be leaked someway and the ARU will get slaughtered for it.

Craig

World Traveller
BoyBrumby said:
I dunno, he's still a banner name & his game was always more suited to League than Union.

Plus with the salary cap now being ditched....
I was thinking South Sydney...

archie mac

International Coach
Craig said:
Well in all fairness that isn't going to happen now is it considering he is such a big name, and even if they did try a ACB style coverup, chances are it is going to be leaked someway and the ARU will get slaughtered for it.
No doubt, but if they didn't test for recreational drugs, no one would be the wiser. I personally I don't think they should, why do they need too?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
No doubt, but if they didn't test for recreational drugs, no one would be the wiser. I personally I don't think they should, why do they need too?
The players are professional athletes and the clubs don't want their players screwing up their bodies with drugs.

archie mac

International Coach
burkey_1988 said:
The players are professional athletes and the clubs don't want their players screwing up their bodies with drugs.
So if they don't perform sack them, don't mother them :@