• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wendall Sailor sacked

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
He broke the rules and has been punished accordingly. He knoew the rules and definately deserved the ban.

To clarify no he cannot go back and play league.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
age_master said:
He broke the rules and has been punished accordingly. He knoew the rules and definately deserved the ban.

To clarify no he cannot go back and play league.
The ban covers all sports covered within the whole anti-doping association or whatever it's called.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke. He is probably the athlete I dislike more than any other and this could hardly be a surprise to anyone.

Long time rumours of drugs
Picked up for curb-crawling in Leeds
Arrogant nasty piece of work

BoyBrumby

Englishman
andyc said:
The ban covers all sports covered within the whole anti-doping association or whatever it's called.
Ah. Fair play then. I just remembered that when Dwain Chambers (GB 100m sprinter) got pinged for steroids there was some vague talk of him going to play American Football. Never amounted to anything, but it gave me the impression bans only covered one sport.

Although the cynic in me thinks that, judgeing by the size of the average NFL player, their anti-drugs testing may not be the world's most stringent... :whistling

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
BoyBrumby said:
Ah. Fair play then. I just remembered that when Dwain Chambers (GB 100m sprinter) got pinged for steroids there was some vague talk of him going to play American Football. Never amounted to anything, but it gave me the impression bans only covered one sport.

Although the cynic in me thinks that, judgeing by the size of the average NFL player, their anti-drugs testing may not be the world's most stringent... :whistling
Oh the controversy!

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BoyBrumby said:

I'm fairly sure baseball isn't much different...

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
archie mac said:
No doubt, but if they didn't test for recreational drugs, no one would be the wiser. I personally I don't think they should, why do they need too?
Because a lot of the substances in recreational drugs are also found in other performance enhancing substances.

howardj

International Coach
Yeah, he's certainly no Ben Johnson, in terms of cheating. And it is unfair, in a sense, that 98% of the population would retain their job in such a situation but Sailor loses his. The flipside to that though is that Union (and other sports) need a squeaky clean image if they're going to prosper in the marketplace. Having your sport associated with such (pretty heavy) drugs can't be good, in that respect. Therefore, you can understand Union ridding itself of him. Personally, I think on account of his arrogance alone, Union is better off without him.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
BoyBrumby said:

I was reading in the paper, that he could turn up (if he were keen enough to go to South America) and play Union in Paraguay or Boliva, where the sport is very much the minority sport and nobody is really going to notice (or care), and there is no way he could play for them anyway (unless he renounced his Australian citizinship I guess would work).

Or he could go play in the amatuer leagues in America, where it won't matter as such.