Page 1 of 130 1231151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 1950
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Socceroos and Australian Football

  1. #1
    Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Murali CG
    Posts
    16,305

    Socceroos and Australian Football

    Well the Pre-Season Series started on the weekend, so i think it is a good time to start the A-League Thread.

    Results:

    Central Coast 2 - Perth Glory 1
    QLD 1 - Sydney FC 2
    Melbourne 0 - Adelaidle 1
    New Zealand 1 - Newcastle 1

    Very happy with the Sydney FC win and Brosque scoring his first goal for Sydney, hopefully there is many more to come.

    Also for those that care the Matildas beat South Korea 4-0 in their first match of the Women's Asia Cup (World Cup Quaiflying Finals)
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

    Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

    RIP WCC and CW Cricket

    Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

  2. #2
    Cricketer Of The Year Burpey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    7,584
    The A-League has really flown under the radar, which surprises me as I thought it'd get some real attention after the World Cup. It'll be interesting to see how this season pans out, because it really could be telling about the place the A-League is going to hold in the Australian public's minds in the years to come.

  3. #3
    International Captain Cloete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Suncorp Stadium
    Posts
    7,004
    Can't bloody wait!

    I want to check out the new Brazilians on show, couple of former Celtic players, there's big things being said about the Ivorian at the Knights and I want to go watch the Roar play some football again! Can't wait for the season.
    CWXI Regular - Member of CW Black

    Blacks ftw

  4. #4
    International Captain Cloete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Suncorp Stadium
    Posts
    7,004
    Quote Originally Posted by burkey_1988
    The A-League has really flown under the radar, which surprises me as I thought it'd get some real attention after the World Cup. It'll be interesting to see how this season pans out, because it really could be telling about the place the A-League is going to hold in the Australian public's minds in the years to come.
    Crowds have been pretty good for the pre-season cup. As if anyone cares about it atm anyway with so many clubs missing so many new signings and big name players because they're only just resuming/starting training and stuff.


  5. #5
    Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Murali CG
    Posts
    16,305
    Quote Originally Posted by burkey_1988
    The A-League has really flown under the radar, which surprises me as I thought it'd get some real attention after the World Cup. It'll be interesting to see how this season pans out, because it really could be telling about the place the A-League is going to hold in the Australian public's minds in the years to come.
    Yeah i was a bit surprised about the lack of coverage too, but the same thing happened last year with the Pre Season. I get the feeling they are waiting for the Asia Cup Quailfier against Kuwait and then they will start to heavierly promote the A-League. I think the game is neally a sell out all ready, so there should be big interest in football around then.

  6. #6
    Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Murali CG
    Posts
    16,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloete
    Can't bloody wait!

    I want to check out the new Brazilians on show, couple of former Celtic players, there's big things being said about the Ivorian at the Knights and I want to go watch the Roar play some football again! Can't wait for the season.
    I think some clubs have gone overboard in signing overseas players, but hopefully they add something extra to their clubs and leagues. I would rather see more Kiwis and Aussie coming back tbh.

  7. #7
    International Captain Cloete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Suncorp Stadium
    Posts
    7,004
    Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00
    I think some clubs have gone overboard in signing overseas players, but hopefully they add something extra to their clubs and leagues. I would rather see more Kiwis and Aussie coming back tbh.
    I'd want to see big name Aussies and Kiwis or gun youths. There were too many mediocre Aussies in the competition last year.

    Overseas players who can dribble and have alot of flair are a must for the A-League IMO. Alot of Aussies can play the "solid" roles very well but we seem so struggle with producing geniunely technically gifted players.

  8. #8
    Cricketer Of The Year Burpey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    7,584
    This is where I see the problem being for the A-League. Are people going to truly get into the A-League and support their team? Or will they follow it for a bit and then get bored of it once the World Cup football jingoism dies down? I don't mean to be purposely pessimistic, but I can't really see the actual sport of football gaining too many new fans. People will get behind the Socceroos (or at least while they're doing moderately well) and go along to a few A-League matches. But will they truly become football supporters? I will certainly be interested to see what happens in the near future.

    That said, I'll be following Sydney FC again this season. Hopefully I get along to a few more matches than last season with school out of the way and the legal right to purchase alcohol.

  9. #9
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloete
    Can't bloody wait!

    I want to check out the new Brazilians on show


    Sorry, continue...
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.

  10. #10
    International Captain Cloete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Suncorp Stadium
    Posts
    7,004
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00


    Sorry, continue...


    Never thought of that!

  11. #11
    Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Murali CG
    Posts
    16,305
    Quote Originally Posted by burkey_1988
    This is where I see the problem being for the A-League. Are people going to truly get into the A-League and support their team? Or will they follow it for a bit and then get bored of it once the World Cup football jingoism dies down? I don't mean to be purposely pessimistic, but I can't really see the actual sport of football gaining too many new fans. People will get behind the Socceroos (or at least while they're doing moderately well) and go along to a few A-League matches. But will they truly become football supporters? I will certainly be interested to see what happens in the near future.

    That said, I'll be following Sydney FC again this season. Hopefully I get along to a few more matches than last season with school out of the way and the legal right to purchase alcohol.
    Well why do you support Sydney FC, is it cus your from Sydney. Its the same reason why Aussie support the Socceroos, cus they represent Australia. The FFA will be hoping people who got hooked onto football will support A-League sides cus they represent their states, regions or country (NZK).

  12. #12
    Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Murali CG
    Posts
    16,305
    Forgot to put in my first post, its been confirmed that two A-League sides will be in the ACL next season - link

  13. #13
    Cricketer Of The Year Burpey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    7,584
    I support Sydney FC because I am a football fan and it's my hometown. Thus, it was the obvious choice. As for the people from the non-football community, of course the hook is that they will get behind their local team. However, I don't think this isn't enough to sustain the interest of someone from the non-football community. There isn't that level of regional rivalry in Australia in general for that to be their interest. It will be very difficult for the FFA to convert people to support football the same way cricket or Aussie rules is embraced as a way of life.

  14. #14
    International Captain ash chaulk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Perth. WA
    Posts
    6,649
    Come on GLORY come on GLORY ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh u fat ******* u fat ******* ur (not very gooda soccer)

    Watch out for glory Stan the man in town!
    CW Black - The best team in the ComP

    Proudly supporting:
    • Wasim Ranamadruta
      Ahkeep Myteefina Jahbesidabed
      Ramatunga Downathroata



    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    So ash chaulk is the first ever AFL Last Man Standing.

  15. #15
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    24,308
    The winner and minor premiers (or runners up if winners are minor premiers) of this years A-League will gain entry into the Asian Football Confederation Champions League at the expense of one Thailand and one Vietnam club.

    Just thought you guys would be interested.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain



    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

    I'm Green

    The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Page 1 of 130 1231151101 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. WC Qualifier tonight
    By supereddi08 in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 288
    Last Post: 20-11-2005, 07:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •