• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Well the Pre-Season Series started on the weekend, so i think it is a good time to start the A-League Thread.

Results:

Central Coast 2 - Perth Glory 1
QLD 1 - Sydney FC 2 :)
Melbourne 0 - Adelaidle 1
New Zealand 1 - Newcastle 1

Very happy with the Sydney FC win and Brosque scoring his first goal for Sydney, hopefully there is many more to come.

Also for those that care the Matildas beat South Korea 4-0 in their first match of the Women's Asia Cup (World Cup Quaiflying Finals)

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
The A-League has really flown under the radar, which surprises me as I thought it'd get some real attention after the World Cup. It'll be interesting to see how this season pans out, because it really could be telling about the place the A-League is going to hold in the Australian public's minds in the years to come.

Cloete

International Captain
Can't bloody wait! :)

I want to check out the new Brazilians on show, couple of former Celtic players, there's big things being said about the Ivorian at the Knights and I want to go watch the Roar play some football again! Can't wait for the season.

Cloete

International Captain
burkey_1988 said:
The A-League has really flown under the radar, which surprises me as I thought it'd get some real attention after the World Cup. It'll be interesting to see how this season pans out, because it really could be telling about the place the A-League is going to hold in the Australian public's minds in the years to come.
Crowds have been pretty good for the pre-season cup. As if anyone cares about it atm anyway with so many clubs missing so many new signings and big name players because they're only just resuming/starting training and stuff.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
Yeah i was a bit surprised about the lack of coverage too, but the same thing happened last year with the Pre Season. I get the feeling they are waiting for the Asia Cup Quailfier against Kuwait and then they will start to heavierly promote the A-League. I think the game is neally a sell out all ready, so there should be big interest in football around then.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Cloete said:
Can't bloody wait! :)

I want to check out the new Brazilians on show, couple of former Celtic players, there's big things being said about the Ivorian at the Knights and I want to go watch the Roar play some football again! Can't wait for the season.
I think some clubs have gone overboard in signing overseas players, but hopefully they add something extra to their clubs and leagues. I would rather see more Kiwis and Aussie coming back tbh.

Cloete

International Captain
chaminda_00 said:
I think some clubs have gone overboard in signing overseas players, but hopefully they add something extra to their clubs and leagues. I would rather see more Kiwis and Aussie coming back tbh.
I'd want to see big name Aussies and Kiwis or gun youths. There were too many mediocre Aussies in the competition last year.

Overseas players who can dribble and have alot of flair are a must for the A-League IMO. Alot of Aussies can play the "solid" roles very well but we seem so struggle with producing geniunely technically gifted players.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
This is where I see the problem being for the A-League. Are people going to truly get into the A-League and support their team? Or will they follow it for a bit and then get bored of it once the World Cup football jingoism dies down? I don't mean to be purposely pessimistic, but I can't really see the actual sport of football gaining too many new fans. People will get behind the Socceroos (or at least while they're doing moderately well) and go along to a few A-League matches. But will they truly become football supporters? I will certainly be interested to see what happens in the near future.

That said, I'll be following Sydney FC again this season. Hopefully I get along to a few more matches than last season with school out of the way and the legal right to purchase alcohol.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
This is where I see the problem being for the A-League. Are people going to truly get into the A-League and support their team? Or will they follow it for a bit and then get bored of it once the World Cup football jingoism dies down? I don't mean to be purposely pessimistic, but I can't really see the actual sport of football gaining too many new fans. People will get behind the Socceroos (or at least while they're doing moderately well) and go along to a few A-League matches. But will they truly become football supporters? I will certainly be interested to see what happens in the near future.

That said, I'll be following Sydney FC again this season. Hopefully I get along to a few more matches than last season with school out of the way and the legal right to purchase alcohol.
Well why do you support Sydney FC, is it cus your from Sydney. Its the same reason why Aussie support the Socceroos, cus they represent Australia. The FFA will be hoping people who got hooked onto football will support A-League sides cus they represent their states, regions or country (NZK).

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I support Sydney FC because I am a football fan and it's my hometown. Thus, it was the obvious choice. As for the people from the non-football community, of course the hook is that they will get behind their local team. However, I don't think this isn't enough to sustain the interest of someone from the non-football community. There isn't that level of regional rivalry in Australia in general for that to be their interest. It will be very difficult for the FFA to convert people to support football the same way cricket or Aussie rules is embraced as a way of life.

ash chaulk

International Captain
Come on GLORY come on GLORY ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh u fat ******* u fat ******* ur (not very gooda soccer)

Watch out for glory Stan the man in town!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
burkey_1988 said:
I support Sydney FC because I am a football fan and it's my hometown. Thus, it was the obvious choice. As for the people from the non-football community, of course the hook is that they will get behind their local team. However, I don't think this isn't enough to sustain the interest of someone from the non-football community. There isn't that level of regional rivalry in Australia in general for that to be their interest. It will be very difficult for the FFA to convert people to support football the same way cricket or Aussie rules is embraced as a way of life.
I don't think it was coincidence last year that Victory's highest drawing games were against Sydney (i.e. the Melbourne/Sydney rivalry). Sydney being a very good side helped too, obviously (it was a top of the ladder clash at the time).