Page 92 of 133 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 1986
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Socceroos and Australian Football

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden View Post
    Australia looking so poor here. Incredibly weak side they put out.
    Proof A League is football for the disabled, tbh.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Worst Australian side ever imo. Biggest joke ever, bring some ****s back from European. Anyone is better then most of these no hopers.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Yeah that was terrible.

It's hard to get players back from Europe for these games though, because they're not on proper international days so clubs don't have to and won't release them.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    Yeah that was terrible.

It's hard to get players back from Europe for these games though, because they're not on proper international days so clubs don't have to and won't release them.
    We also have players in Asia who better then these guys as well. But tbh most clubs outside the top leagues wouldn't have an issue releasing players to give them a shot at an International career. Remember the last time we lost to Kuwait was with all string European squad on a non international day. It about picking the best possible 2nd string side for these matches. You wont get anywhere by limiting your selection pool. It not like you even get more time with A-League players.

As I think you mentioned not long ago Tharmi (and now again). Why Verbeek isn't giving guys like Burns,who aren't playing first team football in europe/asia, but are better players than most of the A-League players a run is beyond me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Quote Originally Posted by Clapo View Post
    As I think you mentioned not long ago Tharmi (and now again). Why Verbeek isn't giving guys like Burns,who aren't playing first team football in europe/asia, but are better players than most of the A-League players a run is beyond me.
    I don't know, reckon there a good chance there was FFA push for an all A-League side, to try and encourage guys to come home for charity caps and to increase crowds by creating local Socceroo heros.

If Pim really wanted an all A-League side I doubt he would have said what he did about the players and league prior to matches and after. Though he did complain all the time about local K-League players during Asia Cup Qs.

Would be interersting to hear what those fringe overseas players are thinking about the all A-League sides and whether they would come back. I would have loved to hear Paul Reid on Sunday on SBS, been asked if he felt cheated when he was in Europe playing his best football to not get a cap ahead of previous all local sides.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Well, that showed the Lustre of the A-League, wonder if Culina is re-thinking his move to GCFC
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Was diabolical really, shocking Australian team and it's hard to feel like they were the socceroos. More like sub-standard footballers playing for the Australian national team.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Yep, Pondeljaks miss summed it up for mine, goal gaping, just gotta tap it in...instead blasts it for effect and misses...

whats the likelihood of missing Asian Cup now?

It was poor. There were several things I just can't understand.

Sure the quality is pretty poor in A-League, but the team that went on the field was poor. Sure we had Archie, Moore and Dukovic, but it was like a 4th tier Australian Team.

The tactics seemed poor as well. There's so many times you can boot a ball up the field and not surprise the opposition. I mean, what was the tactics? Surely at half time PIm would have picked up they were getting the best at the headers. Instead we keep playing the long balls, where the Kuwait defence were a big unit and we had Archie Thompson who is too small, and Matt Simon who was just ****. Whenever Archie Thompson went near the ball, something looked like happening. Instead it keeps going to Simon who played like a downie.

I mean, the Kuwait team played so much smarter, they counter-attacked so much more efficiently, and they used their speed. What did we use? Often pretty ****ty crosses. It just looked so unproffesional how we were playing. It was hell.

We had more possesion than them, more shots, yet we can't score? Why, because we played with the ball too long. Sure it's alright to work the ball around a bit, but not all the time.

In short, it was ****.

If Pim decides to field an A-League side, fine, but what about fielding one or two overseas based players, for the experience level, etc. Just someone who can put the ball through. Someone like, Cahill, Kewell, Grella, whatever. Or get someone experienced in the backline, because tbh, Moore played like **** last night, and didn't deserve to be captain and leading the squad around. Someone like Chipperfield or someone.

U19 Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by luffy View Post
    Someone like Chipperfield or someone.
    Could well be in the A-League soon. Him and Culina coming in would do wonders.

AFAIK Pim didn't talk to the players or run any of the substitutions. He decided to let Arnold run everything because he doesn't feel he can contribute properly from so far away.

U19 Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    AFAIK Pim didn't talk to the players or run any of the substitutions. He decided to let Arnold run everything because he doesn't feel he can contribute properly from so far away.
    If I remember rightly he's not actually allowed to communicate with the sideline. At least that was the rule in the A-League when GvE was serving his suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by speirz View Post
    Could well be in the A-League soon. Him and Culina coming in would do wonders.
    Yeah, it would. However hadn't heard the rumours of Chipperfield coming to the A-League.

I think the Chipperfield deal is gone, now NQ Fury signed Flower.

Page 92 of 133 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast

Thread Information