• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

Redbacks

International Captain
We don't want to claim Aloisi in Adelaide ATM :ph34r:

Cahill continues to pop up and score headers in the EPL. I don't agree with the current speculation that he is a better player than Harry Kewell. In terms of technical ability, he is pretty limited, it's guts and determination that have made him such a good player. Can't imagine him being successful in Italy, possibly not in Spain either, whereas Kewell in his prime would have been a valuable player in Serie A, such a brilliant league testing tactical, technical qualities of players rather than just :frusty:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Think I'm going mad. It tells me the last post in this thread was by redback at 10:07pm, yet when I come into the thread I can't see the post.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
We don't want to claim Aloisi in Adelaide ATM :ph34r:

Cahill continues to pop up and score headers in the EPL. I don't agree with the current speculation that he is a better player than Harry Kewell. In terms of technical ability, he is pretty limited, it's guts and determination that have made him such a good player. Can't imagine him being successful in Italy, possibly not in Spain either, whereas Kewell in his prime would have been a valuable player in Serie A, such a brilliant league testing tactical, technical qualities of players rather than just :frusty:
Aside from the EPL being the premier (see what I did there?) club football competition in the world just now, if Gattuso can be a force in Serie A Cahill would have no problems. Kewell might be more technically gifted, but Cahill has had by far the better career in England. Amazing engine and a great eye for goal.

duffer

Even at his best when he was at Leeds, Harry had a penchant for playing out of this world one match and then proceeding to go missing for the next three or four. Probably has more talent than Timmeh but Cahill is just so much more consistent and offers something every game whether it be goals or just flat out working his bollocks off to help the other players around him.

First player on the Roos' team sheet for mine. WAG.

Redbacks

International Captain
Wellington have picked up Diego for next season, great signing.

Still not sure why Adelaide have let him go but anyway.
Rumours that he was leaving started to surface a couple months ago. Firstly because 2 of the clubs from the ACL were said to have shown interest. Kashima and 'Borat FC', Zico said he like him as a player.

He was asking for more money but his record with injuries made the club decide to let him go. Alto of people remember the GF loss to Melbourne, Muscat hacked him early and he didn't get a touch thereafter

Redbacks

International Captain
First player on the Roos' team sheet for mine. WAG.
Not Guus Hiddink's however. His heading ability makes him a great asset for dead ball situations, which usually determine international matches, but his control in tight spaces isn't at an internation level, which you can get away with given the long ball/get it in the mixer nature of the EPL. Slightly expected as he would have missed the years of junior development the top class European players get.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Not Guus Hiddink's however. His heading ability makes him a great asset for dead ball situations, which usually determine international matches, but his control in tight spaces isn't at an internation level, which you can get away with given the long ball/get it in the mixer nature of the EPL. Slightly expected as he would have missed the years of junior development the top class European players get.
Lucky for Cahill Hiddink isn't the coach.

Redbacks

International Captain
Aside from the EPL being the premier (see what I did there?) club football competition in the world just now, if Gattuso can be a force in Serie A Cahill would have no problems. Kewell might be more technically gifted, but Cahill has had by far the better career in England. Amazing engine and a great eye for goal.
The Top 4 in England are making the league the best at the current time, from about 7th down, not much quality football is played, just a lot of high intensity competing. Can't imagine any bottom half team has the technical ability to keep the ball of a top four side for 10-15 passes consistantly, but enough about the long ball league.

Gattuso isn't a force anymore, that's why Milan bought Flamini from Arsenal. Gattuso is a defensive midfielder also, not really a position compareable to where Cahill plays. Rosina, 'el pocho' Lavezzi, Zarate, Vucinic, Montolivo, Pandev, Kaka, ADP, Milito, Totti, Cassano are the superstars that play in the #10 position. Out of his depth in that company.

Kewell has had a great career in England, maybe $$ took away some of his drive in the later years. Made the Champions League Semi's with Leeds and then played in two finals with Victimpool.

Last edited:

Johnners

The Top 4 in England are making the league the best at the current time, from about 7th down, not much quality football is played, just a lot of high intensity competing. Can't imagine any bottom half team has the technical ability to keep the ball of a top four side for 10-15 passes consistantly, but enough about the long ball league.

Gattuso isn't a force anymore, that's why Milan bought Flamini from Arsenal. Gattuso is a defensive midfielder also, not really a position compareable to where Cahill plays. Rosina, 'el pocho' Lavezzi, Zarate, Vucinic, Montolivo, Pandev, Kaka, ADP, Milito, Totti, Cassano are the superstars that play in the #10 position. Out of his depth in that company.

Kewell has had a great career in England, maybe $$ took away some of his drive in the later years. Made the Champions League Semi's with Leeds and then played in two finals with Victimpool.
Wouldn't call all of Kewells career in England great. He hardly played in the last 5 years of it, unfortunately :(

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Rosina, 'el pocho' Lavezzi, Zarate, Vucinic, Montolivo, Pandev, Kaka, ADP, Milito, Totti, Cassano are the superstars that play in the #10 position. Out of his depth in that company.
Lavezzi plays further up than Cahill, Hamsik has been playing that position for Napoli this season from the games I've seen.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Cahill's playing further up for Everton this year more consistently because they're on their uppers for strikers. He's almost been a striker at times. His best position is in the central box-to-box role (IMHO), because he's such an athlete and is a tenacious little bugger. Have to be honest and say I don't really follow Italian football that closely (bores me too often), but I reckon Cahill is an adaptable player to be a success in a defence-dminated league.

Kewell's had a vaguely disappointing career over here, considering his ability. A talent unfulfilled for me. Yes, he's had issues with injuries (Cahill scarcely less so, actually), but he is perceived as a bit of a malingerer too, None of my Liverpool affiliated friends regard him with any real affection but my only Everton supporting mate loves Cahill. Second only to Arteta in his current amores.

Redbacks

International Captain
Well done to the Victory, gutted we couldn't get the two goals last night, we had the chances, but so to CCM to be fair.