Cricket Player Manager
Page 62 of 134 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Socceroos and Australian Football

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Pretty sure Troisi plays for Newscastle United in the EPL.
    Last edited by chaminda_00; 23-01-2008 at 01:34 AM.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Will be interesting to see which A-League players make the final squad if all European players make the trip. This would be my final 23.

Squad v Qatar: John Aloisi, Michael Beauchamp, Mark Bresciano, Tim Cahill, Nick Carle, David Carney, Simon Colosimo, Ante Covic, Jason Culina, Brett Emerton, Vince Grella, Brett Holman, Josh Kennedy, Harry Kewell, Scott McDonald, Mark Milligan, Craig Moore, Lucas Neill, Mark Schwarzer, Archie Thompson, Michael Thwaite, Carl Valeri, Luke Wilkshire.

With the following missing out:

Mark Bridge, Alex Brosque, Bruce Djite, Travis Dodd, Adam Griffiths, James Holland, Kevin Muscat, Stuart Musialik, Tom Pondeljak, Rodrigo Vargas, Danny Vukovic, Nikolai Topor-Stanley, Joel Griffiths, Jade North, James Troisi, Jacob Burns

I reckon this might be the final XI:

Schwarzer, Moore, Beauchamp, Neill (c), Emerton, Grella, Cahill, Culina, Carney, Kewell, MacDonald

I doubt all the players will comeback but should be one of strongest sides we had back in Australia for a while.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by speirz View Post
    Squad v Qatar: John Aloisi, Michael Beauchamp, Mark Bresciano, Mark Bridge, Alex Brosque, Jacob Burns, Tim Cahill, Nick Carle, David Carney, Simon Colosimo, Ante Covic, Jason Culina, Bruce Djite, Travis Dodd, Brett Emerton, Vince Grella, Adam Griffiths, Joel Griffiths, James Holland, Brett Holman, Josh Kennedy, Harry Kewell, Scott McDonald, Mark Milligan, Craig Moore, Kevin Muscat, Stuart Musialik, Lucas Neill, Jade North, Tom Pondeljak, Mark Schwarzer, Archie Thompson, Nikolai Topor-Stanley, Michael Thwaite, James Troisi, Carl Valeri, Rodrigo Vargas, Danny Vukovic, Luke Wilkshire.
    No Stefanutto? Fallen out of favour?
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Yeah Carney, Topor-Stanley and Thwaite have all jumped ahead of him at left wing (back). Leijer probably has too. Was always seen a makeshift until other guys started to come through.

State Vice-Captain Captain Cricket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    No Viduka either.
    Australian Cricket Team
    Cricket World Cup Champions: 1987, 1999, 2003 and 2007
    ICC Champions Trophy: 2006
    Ashes Champions: 2006/07

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cricket View Post
    No Viduka either.
    Yeah, well, I only know Stefanutto cos he plays in Norway. Not familiar with all 60-odd Australian ball-kickers in Europe.

No Viduka either.
    Pretty sure Dukes didn't make himself available opening up a spot for his team mate James Troisi. Have to say even without Viduka the forward options are pretty awsome; Kewell, MacDonald, Holman, Thompson, Aloisi, Kennedy, Joel Griffiths, Troisi, Djite and Brosque.

A good blend between youth, international experience and european experience. Would be happy with a combination of any of first six in that list to start. A fair bit of depth coming through, if they all stay fit. Also on form both MacDonald and Kewell would start ahead of Viduka anyway.

Mind you looking at some of names in defence in the whole squad, we going struggle there for a while it seems. Not a great deal of depth or quality coming through.

U19 Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    Pretty sure Troisi plays for Newscastle United in the EPL.
    He does.
    Burns - 30 year old plays in Poland, only 5 caps with the Socceroos.

Musialik - 22 year old plays for Newcastle Jets. Strong midfielder and a handy shut-down player.

Topor-Stanley - 22 year old plays for Perth Glory, scored 3 goals in the Socceroo's under23 squad, could make it into the starting XI.

Troisi - Only 19 years old and plays an attacking midfield/striker role at Newcastle Jets. Hasn't debuted in A-League but has a goal to his name in the Australian under20 squad.
    Musialik is ridiculously unfit at the moment, playing 20-30 minutes off the bench as he's got some sort of fatigue problem similar to glandular fever. Not sure how/why he made the squad.

Will be interesting to see which A-League players make the final squad if all European players make the trip. This would be my final 23.

Squad v Qatar: John Aloisi, Michael Beauchamp, Mark Bresciano, Tim Cahill, Nick Carle, David Carney, Simon Colosimo, Ante Covic, Jason Culina, Brett Emerton, Vince Grella, Brett Holman, Josh Kennedy, Harry Kewell, Scott McDonald, Mark Milligan, Craig Moore, Lucas Neill, Mark Schwarzer, Archie Thompson, Michael Thwaite, Carl Valeri, Luke Wilkshire.

With the following missing out:

Mark Bridge, Alex Brosque, Bruce Djite, Travis Dodd, Adam Griffiths, James Holland, Kevin Muscat, Stuart Musialik, Tom Pondeljak, Rodrigo Vargas, Danny Vukovic, Nikolai Topor-Stanley, Joel Griffiths, Jade North, James Troisi, Jacob Burns

I reckon this might be the final XI:

Schwarzer, Moore, Beauchamp, Neill (c), Emerton, Grella, Cahill, Culina, Carney, Kewell, MacDonald

I doubt all the players will comeback but should be one of strongest sides we had back in Australia for a while.
    Can't see Thompson making the squad, he's behind both Joel Griffiths and Brosque at the moment IMO.

He does.

Musialik is ridiculously unfit at the moment, playing 20-30 minutes off the bench as he's got some sort of fatigue problem similar to glandular fever. Not sure how/why he made the squad.

He is honestly the best Defensive midfielder in the A-league, if he gets fit he will be vital indeed..

Musialik got picked on potential as much as anything else really. Has always been earmarked as future Socceroo regular. Also outside Grella, Valeri and Colosimo he's the next best DM.

Can't see Thompson making the squad, he's behind both Joel Griffiths and Brosque at the moment IMO.
    Vermeek always been a very conservative coach, past performance will get him ahead of the Griffiths, Brosque and Troisi.

I was talking to a Korean mate and he told me one of reason they played so average under him was the fact that he was too relient on bring back every overseas players, regardless of form or fitness. As well playing experienced home based players over good quality youngsters. Appartenty he never gave many of guys coming through 20s and 23s much chance in the national side even if they played regular for their club teams. Looks likes things haven't changed much so far. Apart from a couple bolters like Holland and Troisi making squad, mainly for experience though as I doubt they will play or make the final squad.

U19 Cricketer
    Musialik got picked on potential as much as anything else really. Has always been earmarked as future Socceroo regular. Also outside Grella, Valeri and Colosimo he's the next best DM.
    Probably better than Colosimo IMO, plays a slightly different role though as in he's less involved in the actual defensive work, but controls the game by holding the game up and picking out the right passes.

Vermeek always been a very conservative coach, past performance will get him ahead of the Griffiths, Brosque and Troisi.

I was talking to a Korean mate and he told me one of reason they played so average under him was the fact that he was too relient on bring back every overseas players, regardless of form or fitness. As well playing experienced home based players over good quality youngsters. Appartenty he never gave many of guys coming through 20s and 23s much chance in the national side even if they played regular for their club teams. Looks likes things haven't changed much so far. Apart from a couple bolters like Holland and Troisi making squad, mainly for experience though as I doubt they will play or make the final squad.
    There's little to no chance of all these overseas players coming anyway, so i'd reckon that Griffiths, Brosque and Thompson are competing for two spots.

Qatar are no duds though

its not gonna be at home thats going to be a problem, they will sit back and defend

Its away in Qatar, they have one or two players that can really take the game to us particulary that guy who got 2006 asian player of the year, i cant remember his name

Not to mention how hot it'll be ..
    Last edited by Davey; 25-01-2008 at 10:14 PM.

State Vice-Captain Captain Cricket's Avatar
    Yeah Qatari Khalfan Ibrahim will be a big threat to the Aussie line-up.

Yeah Qatari Khalfan Ibrahim will be a big threat to the Aussie line-up.
    thats the one

only 19 years old i think, tricky player

Thread Information