• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
OK. Just venting the anti-England stuff for the next time Dickinson says something negative about our prospects next Northern summer :)

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Look, I hear what you're saying and ordinarily I'd be in full agreement with you, were you speaking about anyone else.

But this is a country (England) that thinks it's good at:
Rugby League
Cricket
Rugby
Football
Netball

and other things.

And they're not, though I grant you they're better at football than the other sports.

I mean, no other country has given the world so many sports, yet been so utterly **** at them.

FFS, they talk about the "Twin Pillars of English Sport" - the 1966 Soccer WC and the 2003 Rugby WC.

They spent 150 odd years as the dominant empire on Earth, and gave birth to so many sports it isn't funny, and they have two (2!!!!) sporting pillars?

We, on t'other hand, have more pillars than an Ancient Greek temple.

England 1 Australia 3. Stick that in yer 1st Chance Average and smoke it fellas!!!!

Written and authorised by the Unrealistic Australian Sporting Expectations Party, Sydney
They do build themselves up as a major chance at football tournaments and then fail remarkably well though...I wish we'd played them at the last World Cup, we probably would have lost but you'd have met them on shaky ground. If we wore the Swedish team strip we'd have become a massive chance...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I don't disagree that it's something the players/management have to get used to, but imo there surely are better ways to approach/prepare for the match. Even if it does mean using a few more of the best A-League players (combined with those international players who have more than just 2 days to prepare). Obviously they aren't going to form our best team, but at least they're a better chance of working as a team.

I read somewhere that Bresc, Kewell and I think Kennedy only turned up in Bahrain the day before? Asking for trouble when 3 of your most important attacking players are basically turning up 1 day before the game, no matter how good they are.
I hear this crap all the time that we should play A-League based players. I think people underestimate how far behind A-League players are to just European jounrymen like Chris Coyne. Add in International experience and most of Bahrain imports would smoke A-League players or second string European based players. Especially away from home in conditions most players never experience outside Europe. You might get away with it at home, if the away side has poor preparation.

If it wasn't for the International and European experience Australia would have lost that match without a doubt. Could you image Covic stopping those goals from Bahrain or how many extra chances there would have been if we had A-League based defence.

You need International experience to get result of these games. You don't send in rookie sides be it European based or A-League based.

The only time you could even consider A-League based is if Australia ever take part in the Tiger Cup. World Cup qualifers or even Asia Cup qualifiers are no place for inexperienced international side.

The other thing is there no much difference between having one day with a setted squad and having a week with a new squad that you start tactics from stratch. Also as Smith said playing so deep your asking for trouble regardless who you play.

FTR A-League players only arrived a couple days before hand as well.

Last edited:

Johnners

Don't disagree with most of what you're saying ftr, but in the interests of having the best possible preparation for a match, I don't think using 2-3 of the A-Leagues more experience/better players at certain stages throughout the campaign is the worst option.

In other news, despite the terrible state of the pitch after the RLWC final last night, one of the better goals in the A-League was scored by Charlie Miller today as the Roar FINALLY!!!! won a home Match this season. Prior to today, the roar had taken away just 1 point out of a possible 15 in home games!

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24694554-5000940,00.html

Millers was the 3rd goal, worth a watch imo.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Don't disagree with most of what you're saying ftr, but in the interests of having the best possible preparation for a match, I don't think using 2-3 of the A-Leagues more experience/better players at certain stages throughout the campaign is the worst option.
Moore, Jedinak and Thompson imo.

Though really your better off playing second string European players for middle east ties, unless they are first teamers like Moore, if it is purely down to preparation. The trip from Australia/East Asia to the middle east is a lot worse then Europe. Just ask any locally based Japanese, Chinese or Korean players. The preparation isn't going to be much better as Jedinak arrived at the same time as most of the European based players and that was only cus he has Saturday match. If it was a Sunday game he would arrived the same day as Kennedy.

Your better off just picking your best sides as your stuffed one way or the other.

duffer

Huge night tonight for Aussie football. C'mon Adelaide, a win will take em to a semi with Manyoo. Pumped for this.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
In the main game tonight QLD Roar finally beat the home boggy side Newcastle.

2-1 result, thought was fare, although the Jets had a player sent off who shouldn't have been after about 70 minutes.

Watching the Adelaide Gamba match right now, can't see Adelaide scoring..

duffer

Was a cracking game both teams had plenty of chances but you could see Gamba just had a bit more about them. Nothing to be ashamed of here, on another day we could've nicked it.

Burgey

Anyone hear Andy Pascaledes (sp?) on the radio Friday morning?

He's tipped:

CC Mariners
Draw in the Arsenal game
Everton win
Draw Man U v Tottenham.

All got up - he came on this morning and confirmed the multi paid $97.

And he didn't have a zack on it.

Burgey

Right, well the juggernaut rolls on with Australia climbing to 28 in the FIFA world rankings.

Plainly we're on our way to number one, a mantle which I'm tipping us to take with a stunning WC Final win in 2010 over the poor country unfortunate enough to cop the beating that's coming their way.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Plainly we're on our way to number one, a mantle which I'm tipping us to take with a stunning WC Final win in 2010 over the poor country unfortunate enough to cop the beating that's coming their way.
(Y) You've realised which year they're having the tournament. Top work.

(And like the cricket rankings, the football rankings work in such a way that even winning the World Cup will, at most, make you top six or summat.)

Burgey

I'll settle for 6th if it means bringing the Cup home :).

All the best for Christmas BTW, and cheers for all the work on CWXI this year.