• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Townsville? Now there's a tough road trip in summer, especially for the fellas from Wellington.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think it will be too long before we have A-League sides in the all the major cities.

AFC have a requirement to enter the Champions' League to have a regulation and promotion. Australia have gotten away with not having that structure by claiming they are still building the league. But if they want to maintain their spot in the ACL and maybe have more sides they need to have two divisions.

Side from Canberra, Wollongong, Western Sydney, 2nd Melbourne side/Geelong look ever much on the cards in a couple seasons time.

ripper868

International Coach
On the new womens W-League, im doing an internship in a position where i liase with some people involved in it's organisation....there 3 weeks away and some dont have team lists yet...thanks for taking $16 million away from the rugby institute in brisbane to fund this Mr Rudd.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Half the Australian Womens' team play overseas these days, so their contracts aren't likely to get finalised unto a couple weeks into the season. So clubs would want to keep spots open for them. Also some players have to decide between playing a couple sports, as this league clashes with Hockey and Cricket season now.

Most the squad will be same as previous national championships, so it probably not a major deal. As there no transfers or signing players. Basically just allocation.

ripper868

International Coach
true but still, a few weeks out ya'd want ya team playing in a national comp to have a few runs with each other.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
true but still, a few weeks out ya'd want ya team playing in a national comp to have a few runs with each other.
They have already starting training with the local players. It mainly just finalising contracts for overseas players and players that play other codes.

The first season if just basically a glorified National Championship, with a bit a of money for the players anyway.

Burgey

On the new womens W-League, im doing an internship in a position where i liase with some people involved in it's organisation....there 3 weeks away and some dont have team lists yet...thanks for taking $16 million away from the rugby institute in brisbane to fund this Mr Rudd.
I think that $16 million was the money set aside to learn how to tackle, based onthe weekend's effort.

Simon

Slightly looking forward to the W-League. As a foundation member of the Canberra A-League team I get free entry to W-League matches apparently. Might be interesting to go along.

ripper868

International Coach
They have already starting training with the local players. It mainly just finalising contracts for overseas players and players that play other codes.

The first season if just basically a glorified National Championship, with a bit a of money for the players anyway.
Indeed it is, the word is that they will not even be playing A-league curtain raisers but rather in more regional zones (hence my involvement)...we sent applications of interest (of hosting a game) to 4 different clubs and 3 have expressed interest in playing some games here.

So yeah, the venues havent even been confirmed as yet (for some teams probably)

I think that $16 million was the money set aside to learn how to tackle, based onthe weekend's effort.
Yup, and catch, pass, kick, run...

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Can someone explain the red card situation a bit in depth? Missed it on TV.

In other news, sweet win. :D

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Roar finally get a win on the board (y) Charlie Miller, what a buy! Will most likely be going to the Roar vs Jets at Suncorp Friday night as well :D

Was just thinking about our potential starting line-up for the next 'Soccroos match against Qatar, could be the best one we've fielded for a while (providing we lose no players to injury in the next month). I'm kind of hoping for something like this:

McDonald Kennedy
Kewell Cahill Bresc
Grella
Chipperfield, Coyne/Moore (would love to see Spiranovic get a gig, but I doubt it would happen), Neill, Emerton
Schwarzer

Doubt it will happen though, can just see Pim playing Harry up front by himself, and a defensive lineup.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can someone explain the red card situation a bit in depth? Missed it on TV.

In other news, sweet win. :D
Better late than never?

I've only see the incident twice, but basically Steekelenberg (sp?) accidentally took JK out going for the ball after a ridiculous backpass by one of the dutch defenders. Was a definite penalty, but no-way was it a red card imo.

f00tage

Anyone else find it amusing that basically the entire crowd is decked out in Orange, yet the dutch team came out wearing sky blue :laugh:

Burgey

Anyone watch Adelaide play on that toilet of a ground last night? You'd think Japan could afford a decent pitch.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Caught a bit of Sydney v Adelaide on Sky last night. **** me the commentators were dire. The expressions "effected a turnover" & "that's what happens when you don't attack the football" were used. Come on fellas, 'snot league or AFL, sort it out.

Nice ping for Sydney's third tho, whoever it was. Blonde lad.

Burgey

Brendan Santalab. Product of the 'gong as well.

Thought the first goal was better, myself.
AWTA - both quality though.

Liking the A Lague atm.

It's like the EPL, only covered in slow mo for 90 minutes each week. Still good for the local boys to get some media coverage.