• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bresciano makes us sooooooo much better. Pulled the strings for us all game. Good result, Irag v Qatar will be a good game.

But damn, if this round was tough next round we could run into some big guns in Saudi, Iran, Korea and Japan. Could be well tough to finish in the top 2 of our group.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Nice to see Emerton playing a bit further up front. With Wilkshere playing a lot of right back or as right sided defensive midfielders for his club he does a good job as right back for Australia. Emerton is a lot better going forward for Australia then Wilkshere. Would like to see Garcia or Sterjovski play that role long term though.

Also nice to see Holman getting a start, good to see scoring goals in Europe making a difference on the selection table. Mind you him and MacDonald need to start scoring goals for Australia soon. Recently Australia have been playing a style of football which allows midfielders to score more goals. Also helps when you have natural goal scorers in the midfield. But next round going to pretty tough and you need atleast one striker regularly scoring. Could be the difference between quailfying and not.

Will be interesting to see who we play next round. Schwarzer and Carney are out at the very least. Petkovic would be favorite to come in for Schwarzer. Niell could come in for Carney and we play a back three or North plays left back. Would love to see Topor-Stanley
get a start. Could also be a chance to field the likes Carle and Djite.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What about Kennedy up front for the next round, to try and get an aerial edge, with Kewell attacking on the left? And does anyone know if Cahill will be available next round?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not sure when the next round starts but I think it might be not be for a couple months. So alot might happen on a domestic front in Europe & Australia and Olympic performances might make a big impact as well. There still a fair bit of hope that Viduka will make himself available for the next round.

Johnners

Loved the Chinese defender that was stretchered off twice in 10 minutes at the start of the 2nd half. Awesome recovery time

Son Of Coco

Loved the Chinese defender that was stretchered off twice in 10 minutes at the start of the 2nd half. Awesome recovery time
:laugh:

I like how he bounced back to his feet once he made the sidelines. If these guys played rugby league you'd just bury them where they were tackled. I think Australia needs to learn how to hit the deck at the slightest hint of a change in wind direction. I've always thought it'd be quite obvious when a player is diving on some occasions as normally you don't go 6 feet in the air, or roll 8 times along the ground after being tackled. Apparently this isn't the case.

The penalty retake was great! Why was it a retake?

Johnners

:laugh:

I like how he bounced back to his feet once he made the sidelines. If these guys played rugby league you'd just bury them where they were tackled. I think Australia needs to learn how to hit the deck at the slightest hint of a change in wind direction. I've always thought it'd be quite obvious when a player is diving on some occasions as normally you don't go 6 feet in the air, or roll 8 times along the ground after being tackled. Apparently this isn't the case.

The penalty retake was great! Why was it a retake?
Was good to see the ref basically penalise them for it though. He made Wang Dong (I think it was him) stay off the field because of his apparent life threatening injury just moments before, whilst Australia had an attacking free kick, that sort of put a stop to it.

Not sure why it was a retake, anyone?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty disappointing skill-set from both sides last night - I was only watching because my flatmate's a football fan, but the inability to control the ball on first touch was staggering. Central Coast almost stole it with some head pinball netting them their goal, but a poor challenge from a defender a few minutes later opened the door for Newcastle, who had done most of the attacking anyway.

speirz

State Vice-Captain
Pretty disappointing skill-set from both sides last night - I was only watching because my flatmate's a football fan, but the inability to control the ball on first touch was staggering. Central Coast almost stole it with some head pinball netting them their goal, but a poor challenge from a defender a few minutes later opened the door for Newcastle, who had done most of the attacking anyway.
Agreed, Song was the only player out there who looked comfortable on the ball.

Burgey

2-2 v Saffies in London overnight.

Not sure who played for us but I heard Sterjovski's goal was quality.

Probably not a great result, but as I said, not sure who played for us. Certainly no Kewell, Viduka, Cahill AFAIK.

Simon

Emerton didnt play either.

Sterjovski's goal was good, real quality finish actually. Cant comment too much on the game, all's I saw was about the last 20 minutes before halftime.