• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I very much doubt that it's common practice to charge opposing fans up to 20 times more for tickets as well. I also doubt that it's common practice in international football to have to require a commissioner from a governing body to step in, in order for the away team to have reasonable use of facilities. Say it's "just a part of international football" all you like, but it doesn't make it anymore acceptable, or and less pathetic and it shouldn't be something you just have to get used to.
TBH it would have been worse if the match wasn't neutral and actually in Iraq. If it was in Iraq or we had a match against the Saudi I doubt any away fans will get into the ground. Most sides train in near by countries to get decent conditions to practise and travel on the eve of the game. Most countries just have to live with and don't have the power that Australia has to get a commissioner in the first place.

I don't think it acceptable, but I can't see things changing much anytime in the future.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
What's the point about so many Aussie players coming out and saying the goal was a fluke? Don't think that accomplishes anything other than looking like a sore loser.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/socce...say-sore-losers/2008/06/08/1212863457516.html
And its not the first time we've seen sore loser behaviour from the Shockeroos either.....when we win its beacuse we were so great, but when we lose, its the conditions, the ref etc anything but the opposition team was better.

Anyway WELL DONE IRAQ :) :)

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ANd which I've seen in Australia as well.... so no point taking the moral high ground 8-)
When, may I ask, has the FFA ever charged the opposing fans up to 20 times more than Australian fans for a ticket? When has the FFA tried to deny the opposition use of the match pitch until 9:30pm the night before the match, and denied the opposition use of the match ball until only 48 hours before kick-off?

Johnners

Looks like the A-League has lost 3 of its most promising youngsters to Europe for next season. Nathan Burns is all but signed up for AEK Athens, Bruce Djite is going to play for Turkish club Gençlerbirligi, and there is apparently a decent amount of truth in rumours that Mark Milligan is a big chance to go to Arsenal.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I see the Youth Maquee system is working well. The worrying sign about all these moves is the fact that the transfers a really cheap and basically all the players are purely going over for a chance and clubs seem to have little or no control over what they get back. The clubs aren't really getting any real investment back on the time they have put into these players development.

duffer

Looks like the A-League has lost 3 of its most promising youngsters to Europe for next season. Nathan Burns is all but signed up for AEK Athens, Bruce Djite is going to play for Turkish club Gençlerbirligi, and there is apparently a decent amount of truth in rumours that Mark Milligan is a big chance to go to Arsenal.
The Milligan to Arsenal rumours are a month old. Can't see Wenger signing him, he's pony.

Son Of Coco

ANd which I've seen in Australia as well.... so no point taking the moral high ground 8-)
Really!? Spitting on players as they arrive at the airport? Giving them a training session late night the day before the game? If you've seen that happening in Australia then we've been watching different things...or I've missed something.

I'm not taking the moral high ground, but sometimes playing it tough on the field gets mixed up with anything goes from the time you land on the tarmac.

Son Of Coco

When, may I ask, has the FFA ever charged the opposing fans up to 20 times more than Australian fans for a ticket? When has the FFA tried to deny the opposition use of the match pitch until 9:30pm the night before the match, and denied the opposition use of the match ball until only 48 hours before kick-off?
:laugh: Exactly. I get the feeling our friend Salamuddin might get his jollies from giving it to the Socceroos.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Nah, will have learnt their lesson for mine. Wouldn't be surprised if we got another one before the half is up, or if not shortly after.

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Haha, for those watching this on replay - look for the yellow given right at the end, 94th minute. Hilarious. :laugh:

Bobisback

International Regular
Probably should have been 4-2, Kewell's disallowed one was stupid, dont see any reason for it. Quintana should have been fouled in the box too.

Re: Quintana, he seemed to have some good ball control, but from what i saw could make a pass stick, or get a shot on target. That being said though, only watched the 2nd half.

Bobisback

International Regular
Haha, for those watching this on replay - look for the yellow given right at the end, 94th minute. Hilarious. :laugh:
Was good to see that after Australian had beaten them on the scoreboard, the went to beat them physically. Soccer needs more punch ups imo.

Should clarify, there wasnt actually any punch ups, just in case people get excited reading the above line and rush to watch a replay.

Bobisback

International Regular
Qatar bloke just wanted a hug. :p
Was so hoping the elbow would connect and have a League style all in brawl, but no dice.

Also thought it was pretty funny when the Qatar coach smashed the ball into the Aussie taking the throw near the end.