• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

sideshowtim

Banned
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,23476481-14823,00.html

Some great news for a potential Western Sydney franchise, a franchise which I'll be throwing my complete support behind. Penrith is a pretty decent location for a Western Sydney team due to its proximity to the rest of the west, its facilities and the fact that junior football is absolutely booming around here. I think Parramatta might be slightly better...but either way....I just hope all these Western Sydney bids combine together and do what is best for the region and the future of a club out here....No flashy, stupid nicknames either please. Western Sydney United would be great....Based out of Parra or Penrith...Either way, it would be great.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Hey Hak, how has Dylan Macallister been going in Norway just signed up for Central Coast. Was one my favorite players at Spirit back in day.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Hey Hak, how has Dylan Macallister been going in Norway just signed up for Central Coast. Was one my favorite players at Spirit back in day.
Not made a huge impact, but he's probably earned a good wage. Ended up on loan to a second tier club, before going an entire season without games at Lyn last year. Marginally more successful here than Chad Gibson.

Odd, as I'm told the Aussie game is quick and physical, much like the Norwegian one. (Though Clayton Zane was a roaring success here before getting sold to Anderlecht and vanishing.)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Not made a huge impact, but he's probably earned a good wage. Ended up on loan to a second tier club, before going an entire season without games at Lyn last year. Marginally more successful here than Chad Gibson.

Odd, as I'm told the Aussie game is quick and physical, much like the Norwegian one. (Though Clayton Zane was a roaring success here before getting sold to Anderlecht and vanishing.)
Zane was always your better then average Australian footballer though, he would have been a success which ever league he went too. I think he also had a couple years in Europe before coming back to Australia with Sprirt and then to Norway. He had one good season in Anderlecht and then had a seemingly career ending injury. Pretty much retired now.

The main reason why a lot of guys that go to Norway struggle is most guys try and start their European careers their, cus they can't get a run in the bigger leagues in Europe. A lot of guys aren't that great and weren't really dominating the domestic league before they left. Macallister and Gibson were just your better then average domestic players. Both probably had potential to be decent players in Europe, but needed to improve a lot. Which they both hadn't done by the looks of things.

I think he has more to go with the player themselve then the type of players really.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

It'd take the absolute best from the A-League to make an impression in a European league in my opinion. There's no comparison in standards. Although I'd expect a few players to go very well in the Andorran Premier League.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I know it's Adelaide and I know it's the middle of footy season, but still, someone ought to congratulate Adelaide United on getting to the quarter-finals of the Asian club cup. Needed a draw going far north into China, and did so. Good work.

Hopefully there'll be a bit of a buzz around the tournament come September. At least the domestic round ball will be kicked then.

Johnners

Ind33d, fair play to Adelaide.

Kewell set to captain the team in the upcoming friendly against Ghana. Hopefully he can stay uninjured and show us what he's capable of.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Adelaide had the easiest group ever for an Australian team, not that big of an achievement to get through. Perth Glory or Wellington could get through that group.

Will be an interesting match tonight. Spiranovic ftw

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
1-0, Mile Sterjovski gun

Reckon Sterjovski going to be the key man for in June. With Cahill out, Kewell and Bres out of form and inexperienced strikers. He might be the go to man for us in attack.

Johnners

Was pleasing to see Kewell manage 70 minutes without pulling up lame. Hopefully he'll be set for the match against Iraq now.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
So another Australian in the EPL, not the one most people would have expect. With Nicky Carle, Bristol City, losing the playoff final. But Perth born attacking midfielder Richard Garcia got promoted with Hull. Back when he was at West Ham, he was rated as the next big thing, as most youngsters from Australian in EPL youth academies are. But it does look like he might have a decent chance of getting game time at Hull next season, depending on who they buy and whether they keep Frazier Campbell of Man Utd.

Hopefully Pim gives him a run in qualifiers with our lack of strikers and injuries to key midfielders. A run in squad would be nice just to see whether he is compared to the rest of guys. Garcia is one of those many Aussie that battle it out in lower leagues of Europe and now he helped his side to top flight football, hopefully he gets some recognistion.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Kewell scores and last 87 minutes. Must be first time that has happened since 2002.

Pretty good game from the midfield as usually. McDonald struggled up front but has never played well as lone striker for Celtic or Motherwell. I really can't understand why Pim thinks Holman is right winger. The guy was the leading goal scorer for his Dutch side. You have to wonder if he even watches the Dutch league anymore. Really they should be playing Holman, Kewell and MacDonald upfront if Kennedy, Dukes and Sterjovski can't play. If it means we bench Wilkshire or Bres so be it, but we need another forward.

Defence was a bit shaky as well, with Iraq having some good chances but just couldn't finish. With Coyne and Vargas the next best options ATM, hopefully Neill with fit soon and few other guys start playing regular football.

7 points from 3 games and with Iraq one point from three games pretty much means they are out. So it really just a case of getting a result against China at home now. A draw away against Iraq will be good as well.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah you would think if we get 1 more win we'd be through.

I was at the ground today, enjoyed the match, although I wouldn't call it a classic. Like Chaminda said, our defence was shakey, Iraq had a shot which hit the cross bar and there were a few good chances which other better sides would have easily put in the back of the net.

Important 3 points, good work.

Johnners

Agreed, our defence looked very shaky. Thought Kewell & Bresciano were great though, whilst Grella, Culina & Wilkshire were solid as always. Also agree that McDonald shouldn't play as a lone striker. He looks much more at home from the bit I've seen him play when there's a 2nd striker, preferably someone like Kennedy who holds the ball up.

ash chaulk

International Captain
kewell was the only one who looked like scoring.

Really though Iraq should have won but we again got lucky and schwarzer was in the right place at the right time.