• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:( So close

Ah well, the better team won in the end, so I can't be all that unhappy about it. Covic was awesome again tonight, made some excellent saves, the ****. Roar just missed to many easy chances early in the first half, what I would give for a proper Striker next year. Zullo, Kruse & Minnecon will all be better for a season under their belts as well which certainly isn't a bad thing.

Ah well, Good luck Jets in the final, reckon you'll win it.

Johnners

:( Cringe everytime I see that miss from Marcinho, and Kruisers 2 sprays wide in the first half. They really should have nailed at least 1 of them.

speirz

State Vice-Captain
:( Cringe everytime I see that miss from Marcinho, and Kruisers 2 sprays wide in the first half. They really should have nailed at least 1 of them.
Yep, Marcinho's was a sitter and Kruse seemed to lack the confidence to hit the ball with any real venom.

Johnners

The botched chances aside though, Kruse & Zullo were outstanding imo, it's just a shame they lacked a bit of composure when it came to putting the ball into the back of the net. If the Roar can somehow get a genuine striker next season, their attack will be awesome.

It'll be interesting to see if Marcinho is still around next season, I suspect he won't be (and won't be all that disappointed if he isn't), but if he is, i'll be facsinated to see how he goes after a season of A-League style football under his belt.

Last edited:

speirz

State Vice-Captain
The botched chances aside though, Kruse & Zullo were outstanding imo, it's just a shame they lacked a bit of composure when it came to putting the ball into the back of the net. If the Roar can somehow get a genuine striker next season, their attack will be awesome.

It'll be interesting to see if Marcinho is still around next season, I suspect he won't be (and won't be all that disappointed if he isn't), but if he is, i'll be facsinated to see how he goes after a season of A-League style football under his belt.
Same story with Denni, I think Song has been brought in to basically replace him, yet we could also see Song playing in Bridge's spot when he leaves. Denni showed a bit of promise but always seemed to try one touch too many.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23252643-5000940,00.html

Gold Coast Galaxy and Northern Thunder (Townsville club) have been provisional licenses for next season. Should be good, as it will increase the players coming from overseas, give more spots to local footballs. You would think they would be entered into the Youth League as well, which gives more youngsters in Queensland in particular a chance to get a contract.

Big thing though will be the potential of having a larger season. The format is what interested me the most. If A-League players want to play a major part in qualifications they need to playing 30 plus rounds of football, to keep up with overseas guys. Even players like Jacob Burns in Poland, a league on par or just below IMO. 27 rounds looks likely, would love 36 rounds. But that would cut too close to AFL and League seasons.

Good times, should be interesting.

Johnners

Exciting times ahead. Hopefully with the expansion of the league, we're also able to lure a few more higher quality overseas players to the league.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Exciting times ahead. Hopefully with the expansion of the league, we're also able to lure a few more higher quality overseas players to the league.
Can't see it happening with a salary cap. Most League One sides in England have bigger salaries. Should get more fringe players back hopefully and some more youngsters, as there is more chances of first team football.

Johnners

Can't see it happening with a salary cap. Most League One sides in England have bigger salaries. Should get more fringe players back hopefully and some more youngsters, as there is more chances of first team football.
It was my understanding though, that the salary cap will be increased. That said, as you say, it'll still be difficult to lure higher quality players here, but 1 can only hope.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
It was my understanding though, that the salary cap will be increased. That said, as you say, it'll still be difficult to lure higher quality players here, but 1 can only hope.
Yeah the cap seems to be increased every year, but not by enough to make a real difference. It not enough to keep guys like Milligan or Burns in Australia, or even get good overseas players back.

Johnners

Whilst it isn't with a huge club, as you said, it still has potential. The potential benefits gained from coaching techniques and player technical development (as mentioned in the article) make it worthwhile.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Sometime though signing with a lesser club you get more out of it both ways then signing with big clubs. Who will just be looking at an A-League club as feeder club and you get nothing back, i.e Northern Spirt and Rangers.

duffer

Insane finish, the penalty, the red card to Vukovic, the mini brawl. Feel sorry for the Mariners but I thought it was a good GF. Good to see some of the smaller clubs getting the spotlight for a while.

duffer

If there was ever a case for a video ref it'd be that match. Not just the handball but it was one of the worst officiated football matches I've ever seen. Farcical performance by Shields there.

Last edited: