• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

sideshowtim

Banned
Excellent performance by the lads tonight. I had rather low expectations coming into the game due to our woeful performance at the Asian Cup coupled with the fact that all our best players just stepped off long flights from Europe. But we played far better than I expected. MOTM was between Culina and Emerton for mine. Encouraging signs, yet we must remain grounded as we're yet to play the 2 toughest opposition in our group.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Saw a bit of highlights this morning and looks like we played some really good football in the first half. Having two out and forwards seemed to make a massive difference against these counter attack style teams, that usually just put three guys in Dukes in Asia Cup. Hopefully when Kewell back he plays in the midfield and we give MacDonald and Kennedy another chance together.

I do get the feeling though we are going to be very hard to beat at home as we play in comfortable environment for football, so our class will always come through. But we may still struggle away, especially in the mid east. China should be interesting playing attitude, but I reckon the cold whether will counter it a bit, as it will suit our players.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss QLD Roar 2 def. Sydney FC 0
Agreed! Were you at the match Clapo? I went last night, loved the atmosphere, the crowd was 36 000, great effort really.

The goal Reinaldo scored was awesome!

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, couldn't go :( could hardly walk because I had my toe operated on thursday.

Had to follow the game on ESPN Gamecast (A-League coverage is sooooooo ****)

Johnners

Not too disappointed tbh, as this should mean we get a massive shake up in our playing roster. Hopefully this is the start of a clear out of our farts.
AWTA

Hopefully this season will see an end to the love affair of signing South American players that are either past it, or simply crap... They need to start signing players on their merits, not nationality!

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
AWTA

Hopefully this season will see an end to the love affair of signing South American players that are either past it, or simply crap... They need to start signing players on their merits, not nationality!
It will be interesting to see what happens on the player market with the two new clubs coming in next season and addition of U20s comp. The talk is both GC and Townsville will be looking to bring back a few more big name players from overseas, rather then signing cheap South Americans. With more clubs there should be more room for all the clubs to move in the salary cap, so their should be less South Amercians. Most of South Americans have been signed to fill up the squads with cheaper players then big name players. The problem has come when they found out the reason why they are cheaper, cus they're worse.

Hopefully we get a lot of high quality youngsters signed by the all clubs. Hopefully these youngsters include a couple Asian. I know there is a lot of youngsters around Asia who would be really keen to play in Australia.

Johnners

It will be interesting to see what happens on the player market with the two new clubs coming in next season and addition of U20s comp. The talk is both GC and Townsville will be looking to bring back a few more big name players from overseas, rather then signing cheap South Americans. With more clubs there should be more room for all the clubs to move in the salary cap, so their should be less South Amercians. Most of South Americans have been signed to fill up the squads with cheaper players then big name players. The problem has come when they found out the reason why they are cheaper, cus they're worse.

Hopefully we get a lot of high quality youngsters signed by the all clubs. Hopefully these youngsters include a couple Asian. I know there is a lot of youngsters around Asia who would be really keen to play in Australia.
I'm a little surprised that there hasn't been more of a push from the teams to sign Asian players given that we are now in the Asian group for the world cup etc.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Problem comes when most Asian players that have signed have been fringe players from their leagues looking for more game time. Also with most overseas players there is expectation for them to perform straight away and with no reserve/youth league a lot just become squad players. It takes time for most guys to get used to playing in different leagues. There is massive difference between your average Asian league and the Australia league, in terms of style of play. There hasn't been a big push to sign international players. Which is the type of players that we need.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Who went in it this year? You, yourself and Mitchell?
Rank (LW) Total Tipster
1 (1) 78.5
geg_thomas

2 (6) 69.5
BoyBrumby

3 (2) 67
bugssy

4 (3) 64.5
speirz

5 (4) 64
-Matteh-

6 (5) 62