• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
No Viduka either.
Pretty sure Dukes didn't make himself available opening up a spot for his team mate James Troisi. Have to say even without Viduka the forward options are pretty awsome; Kewell, MacDonald, Holman, Thompson, Aloisi, Kennedy, Joel Griffiths, Troisi, Djite and Brosque.

A good blend between youth, international experience and european experience. Would be happy with a combination of any of first six in that list to start. A fair bit of depth coming through, if they all stay fit. Also on form both MacDonald and Kewell would start ahead of Viduka anyway.

Mind you looking at some of names in defence in the whole squad, we going struggle there for a while it seems. Not a great deal of depth or quality coming through.

speirz

State Vice-Captain
Pretty sure Troisi plays for Newscastle United in the EPL.
He does.
Burns - 30 year old plays in Poland, only 5 caps with the Socceroos.

Musialik - 22 year old plays for Newcastle Jets. Strong midfielder and a handy shut-down player.

Topor-Stanley - 22 year old plays for Perth Glory, scored 3 goals in the Socceroo's under23 squad, could make it into the starting XI.

Troisi - Only 19 years old and plays an attacking midfield/striker role at Newcastle Jets. Hasn't debuted in A-League but has a goal to his name in the Australian under20 squad.
Musialik is ridiculously unfit at the moment, playing 20-30 minutes off the bench as he's got some sort of fatigue problem similar to glandular fever. Not sure how/why he made the squad.

Will be interesting to see which A-League players make the final squad if all European players make the trip. This would be my final 23.

Squad v Qatar: John Aloisi, Michael Beauchamp, Mark Bresciano, Tim Cahill, Nick Carle, David Carney, Simon Colosimo, Ante Covic, Jason Culina, Brett Emerton, Vince Grella, Brett Holman, Josh Kennedy, Harry Kewell, Scott McDonald, Mark Milligan, Craig Moore, Lucas Neill, Mark Schwarzer, Archie Thompson, Michael Thwaite, Carl Valeri, Luke Wilkshire.

With the following missing out:

Mark Bridge, Alex Brosque, Bruce Djite, Travis Dodd, Adam Griffiths, James Holland, Kevin Muscat, Stuart Musialik, Tom Pondeljak, Rodrigo Vargas, Danny Vukovic, Nikolai Topor-Stanley, Joel Griffiths, Jade North, James Troisi, Jacob Burns

I reckon this might be the final XI:

Schwarzer, Moore, Beauchamp, Neill (c), Emerton, Grella, Cahill, Culina, Carney, Kewell, MacDonald

I doubt all the players will comeback but should be one of strongest sides we had back in Australia for a while.
Can't see Thompson making the squad, he's behind both Joel Griffiths and Brosque at the moment IMO.

Davey

School Boy/Girl Captain
He does.

Musialik is ridiculously unfit at the moment, playing 20-30 minutes off the bench as he's got some sort of fatigue problem similar to glandular fever. Not sure how/why he made the squad.

He is honestly the best Defensive midfielder in the A-league, if he gets fit he will be vital indeed..

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Musialik got picked on potential as much as anything else really. Has always been earmarked as future Socceroo regular. Also outside Grella, Valeri and Colosimo he's the next best DM.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Can't see Thompson making the squad, he's behind both Joel Griffiths and Brosque at the moment IMO.
Vermeek always been a very conservative coach, past performance will get him ahead of the Griffiths, Brosque and Troisi.

I was talking to a Korean mate and he told me one of reason they played so average under him was the fact that he was too relient on bring back every overseas players, regardless of form or fitness. As well playing experienced home based players over good quality youngsters. Appartenty he never gave many of guys coming through 20s and 23s much chance in the national side even if they played regular for their club teams. Looks likes things haven't changed much so far. Apart from a couple bolters like Holland and Troisi making squad, mainly for experience though as I doubt they will play or make the final squad.

speirz

State Vice-Captain
Musialik got picked on potential as much as anything else really. Has always been earmarked as future Socceroo regular. Also outside Grella, Valeri and Colosimo he's the next best DM.
Probably better than Colosimo IMO, plays a slightly different role though as in he's less involved in the actual defensive work, but controls the game by holding the game up and picking out the right passes.

Vermeek always been a very conservative coach, past performance will get him ahead of the Griffiths, Brosque and Troisi.

I was talking to a Korean mate and he told me one of reason they played so average under him was the fact that he was too relient on bring back every overseas players, regardless of form or fitness. As well playing experienced home based players over good quality youngsters. Appartenty he never gave many of guys coming through 20s and 23s much chance in the national side even if they played regular for their club teams. Looks likes things haven't changed much so far. Apart from a couple bolters like Holland and Troisi making squad, mainly for experience though as I doubt they will play or make the final squad.
There's little to no chance of all these overseas players coming anyway, so i'd reckon that Griffiths, Brosque and Thompson are competing for two spots.

Davey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Qatar are no duds though

its not gonna be at home thats going to be a problem, they will sit back and defend

Its away in Qatar, they have one or two players that can really take the game to us particulary that guy who got 2006 asian player of the year, i cant remember his name

Not to mention how hot it'll be ..

Last edited:

speirz

State Vice-Captain
Colosimo ends up signing with Sydney. Great another overpriced under performer.
Probably means Musialik isn't going there as well, as was rumoured earlier in the season. Had a pretty good game on the weekend as well did Musialik.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Probably means Musialik isn't going there as well, as was rumoured earlier in the season. Had a pretty good game on the weekend as well did Musialik.
One of these days we need start signing some decent youngsters like Musialik who are ready to play in the first team. Rather then signing high priced mid aged players who are just short term fixes, or some youngster who is 2-3 seasons away from 1st team action. Don't get me wrong Colosimo is a good player, but way over priced, just like everyone we seem to sign.

speirz

State Vice-Captain
One of these days we need start signing some decent youngsters like Musialik who are ready to play in the first team. Rather then signing high priced mid aged players who are just short term fixes, or some youngster who is 2-3 seasons away from 1st team action. Don't get me wrong Colosimo is a good player, but way over priced, just like everyone we seem to sign.
I'm 99% sure Sydney will get Bridge. He and Brosque would be a good combination up front.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting to see Newcastle Utd released James Troisi for the next week and a bit to train with the A-League players. I guess he only misses a couple reserve or youth league games. But that kind of shows it not that hard to get European players back, if playing for the Socceroos will be higher standard then the regular comps. Jacob Burns also came back, but I think Poland still on a break for a bit longer.