• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

Dark Hunter

State Vice-Captain
I think the fact that we started to get players back from injury has more to do with it, then the change of coach. It meant that we had more options and didn't have to carry an semi fit Juninho. Don't think we are playing that much better then we did in those ACL matches against the Reds and co.

Looks as if Roar dominated the match and we were lucky to get away with a draw. Perth 2-1 up after half time. Probably the worst result if your a Victory fan. Looks like Adelaide might be out of the race, unless they pull off something special.
There is no race now that the Jets won their game. No one else can make the finals except whose in the top 4 now. Its just places to be decided.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think the fact that we started to get players back from injury has more to do with it, then the change of coach. It meant that we had more options and didn't have to carry an semi fit Juninho. Don't think we are playing that much better then we did in those ACL matches against the Reds and co.

Looks as if Roar dominated the match and we were lucky to get away with a draw. Perth 2-1 up after half time. Probably the worst result if your a Victory fan. Looks like Adelaide might be out of the race, unless they pull off something special.
QLD missed Reinaldo, as Lynch again failed to deliver. Sounds like the 2nd half was dead boring though apart from the last 5 minutes.

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Melbourne and Adelaide out of the finals due to Newcastle's win. :(

Joel Griffiths has been on absolute fire this year I have to say.

Cloete

International Captain
Queensland ftw. Good crowd last night too. Shame Marcinho choked. Minniecon, Kruse and Zullo are sensational btw. AND HOW THE **** WAS THAT NOT A PENALTY ON MINNIECON!?

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Yeah the one on Minnecioni should've been paid, I watched the match last night and I thought the skills were better than what I've seen earlier in the year...

Davey

School Boy/Girl Captain
yea the refs definately have to be a lot stricter... i hate how creative play at times is just stamped out because of the over-physicalness...

we have plenty of other sports that accommodate that

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Less leniancy more skill I reckon. Players need to use their brain and skill to overcome anything frees the refs are paying against them.

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Btw what does everyone think of Pim Verbeek? I think he'll be good. He's taking the job seriously, going to the effort of visiting A-League games and he seems like he knows his stuff. I hope he's as good (or even better) than Guus Hiddink.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Btw what does everyone think of Pim Verbeek? I think he'll be good. He's taking the job seriously, going to the effort of visiting A-League games and he seems like he knows his stuff. I hope he's as good (or even better) than Guus Hiddink.
No chances, but it wouldn't surprise me if he becomes a better option then Dick Advocaat.

Still can't see us getting through to next round playing matches with all A-League sides. Would go the U23s approach and rotate the European players who clubs don't want them to play all the games. You have to remember that the U23s matches weren't on FIFA dates and they still got most of their players back. There are fair few players who are better then the A-League players, who's club wouldn't have a major problem releasing them to play for Australia.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
yea the refs definately have to be a lot stricter... i hate how creative play at times is just stamped out because of the over-physicalness...

we have plenty of other sports that accommodate that
Nature of Australian football is too many defenders would be taken out of the game if they become more harder on rough tackles. The balance will always be towards the defenders in Australia football, compared to other leagues.

Davey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah but what about the Italian game

that is pretty defensive as well, yet they dont feel the need to use over the top challenges

Really, to succeed these days (especially when you look at the type of players the big clubs want) creativity and technique is vital..

I reckon we will realise this soon enough, but i sincerely hope we dont learn this the hard way e.g Not qualifying for the WC 2010.. imo that would be a disaster for football here because really it was the success in 2006 that put alot of people on the bandwagon in the first place..

AS for using a totally based A-league side, yea i kind of agree with you... what is going to be interesting is how Verbeek instils the Dutch style with these players.. because lets be honest, things like playing out of hte back etc.. most A-league clubs dont do.. so it will be foreign to alot of these players.. It can be done though, but its wierd that the training camps are so short....

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Sydney drew with Victory.

Roar is currently 1-0 down aginst the Adelaide
FFS :@

If we do finish 4th though, I think we (Roar) have just as much chance of beating Mariners away, as beating Sydney at home.

Obv. finishing 1st and going to Asia would be great though, but that can still happen.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Roar ended up losing 2-0.

Don't think it matters at all where teams finish, as anyone of the four side can win the championship. Winning a minor premiership on goal difference is pretty dire, so good that a dire team like CC won it that way. Should be the best finals series so far in the A-League.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
FFS :@

If we do finish 4th though, I think we (Roar) have just as much chance of beating Mariners away, as beating Sydney at home.

Obv. finishing 1st and going to Asia would be great though, but that can still happen.
Was thinking about this earlier. I was wrong..

Here is the schedule.

Minor semi-final
3-Sydney FC v 4-Queensland Roar
1st leg: Sydney Football Stadium, Friday January 25
2nd leg: Suncorp Stadium, Friday February 8

(winner to play in preliminary final, loser eliminated)

Major semi-final
1-Central Coast v 2-Newcastle Jets
1st leg: EnergyAustralia Stadium, Sunday January 27
2nd leg: Bluetongue Stadium, Sunday February 10