Page 44 of 130 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Socceroos and Australian Football

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    We play Singapore this Saturday night, right?
    Yeah, probably will get a full strength side out too, considering its the last lead up game.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

International Captain ash chaulk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    Off the bench...

Only a couple weeks left and no real attention from the media, oh well maybe when the games start.
    a little article in the west australia.The Henry move was bigger news apparently
    CW Black - The best team in the ComP

Proudly supporting:
    • Wasim Ranamadruta
      Ahkeep Myteefina Jahbesidabed
      Ramatunga Downathroata

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    So ash chaulk is the first ever AFL Last Man Standing.

Quote Originally Posted by ash chaulk View Post
    a little article in the west australia.The Henry move was bigger news apparently
    Yeah Henry got spashed everywhere here, mind you that probably the biggest move in football since Ronadinho to Barca.

The only time i read something about the Asian Cup in the Football Fever section on Tuesdays in the Daily, which is only two pages long. During the A-League when Sydney FC were on top and the World Cup was on it got up tp 15-20 pages. Or a couple pages in the Friday Sports liftout after 15 pages of league. Mind you it got as much attention as the Wallibies and Swans.

Just read today that FFA have spent $2 million to prepare the Socceroos for the Asia Cup. Interesting thing is there is no real major prize money for the winner, expect entry into the Confed Cup and automatic entry in the next Asian Cup, which should have more prize money, if the Cup gets recognised by the wider football community and more sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    Just read today that FFA have spent $2 million to prepare the Socceroos for the Asia Cup. Interesting thing is there is no real major prize money for the winner, expect entry into the Confed Cup and automatic entry in the next Asian Cup, which should have more prize money, if the Cup gets recognised by the wider football community and more sponsors.
    But if they win, or even do very well, the return on that $2 million through sponsorship, more juniors signing up, etc. would be well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    But if they win, or even do very well, the return on that $2 million through sponsorship, more juniors signing up, etc. would be well worth it.
    Yeah i know mainly the potential Asian based sponsorship deals are what you will gain the money back on. I mentioned it more due to the fact that the FFA (or the old bodies) spent nothing on the Oceania Cup and basically nothing on the Confed Cups in the past. Some World Cup campaigns they didn't even spend $2 mil on. Also teams like Japan, Korea, China, Saudi Arabi etc would spend 5-10 million on an Asian Cup campaign. Just a postive sign of change for Football in this country.

International Captain ash chaulk's Avatar
    Socceroos 3 Singapore 0

Viduka 51,88 Kewell 76

good stuff

Was :O when Dukes scored for Australia, that'd unheard of!
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

I hear Viduka considering extending his international career so he can score more goals against weak Asian defences and improve his strike rate.

Hard to tell how good that performance was, as Singapore didn't even make the Asian Cup. To be kept scoreless in the first half is pretty poor. If we leave those gaps in defence against better attacking sides we could be in a bit of trouble. But i think Singapore meant to be good in defence crap in attack. So i guess that explains it.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    The third goal was awesome. Pretty dodgy performance otherwise, but Kewell looked in a different class for a while there.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    The third goal was awesome. Pretty dodgy performance otherwise, but Kewell looked in a different class for a while there.
    Probably because he is, tbh.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Hi Sean. Haven't heard from you in a while. How have you been?
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Hi Sean. Haven't heard from you in a while. How have you been?
    Haha, hey. I've been fine, just busy. I'll try and get on a bit more often in the near future.

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar

Kewell has to be one of the most overrated players in the world.
    Done jack all for Liverpool and technically he's average compared to the world's best players....yet Socceroo supporters (especially Fuller) make him out to be their Enzo Francescoli or their Zidane.
    Zinedine Zidane is the greatest footballer ever !

Richard Dickinson - you little beauty !!!!

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    TBF when he's playing Kewell is decidedly decent. It's just he's crocked so often it's largely ruined his career.

He'd have played for England if he'd have gone down that route, he'd have been a lot better than many of the stiffs we tried wide left before Joe Cole stepped up.
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Salamuddin View Post
    Kewell has to be one of the most overrated players in the world.
    Done jack all for Liverpool and technically he's average compared to the world's best players....yet Socceroo supporters (especially Fuller) make him out to be their Enzo Francescoli or their Zidane.
    Haha, what? Which Fuller are you talking about? If I've ever praised Kewell to any significant degree on this forum, I don't remember it. He's a terribly inconsistent performer, but his best is very good, and clearly at times (like the third goal the other night...) he's a class above most of the competition in the Australian side. If you disagree with that, you're stupid. He's not that great though.

BTW, if you didn't watch the game in question, Kewell came off the bench well into the second half and dominated, scoring once and setting Viduka up with the last goal, against average opposition. That was what my comment was discussing.
    Last edited by FaaipDeOiad; 08-07-2007 at 01:49 AM.

Page 44 of 130 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast

Thread Information