• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Bump! :p

Sydney appear to be in a bit of a pickle now. Need to win against Urawa Red Diamonds in Japan. Could be tricky.

I suppose the Aussie clubs will always be a bit disadvantaged due to out of season games and the sheer fact of geography keeping them away from the Qatari and Iraqi sides, but it still looks like a disappointing debut.
Urawa haven't been playing that well either, they should have cemented the QF spot by now. I reckon the debut by Syndey has been pretty good, most people who know anything about the other Asian sides would have predicted Sydney to come 3rd, that Chinese side and Urawa on paper atleast are a fair bit better.

The only real concern for me is well the strike force, unless we sign a new striker i think we will be struggling to score goals regularly this season. We do seem to be missing Sasho, Zrillic has been a bit of a waste of space. Bosque has been a fair bit better under Cullina but still can't find the back of the net. Might be time to give up playing him as a striker and just play him in the midfield.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like QLD Roar might have a new defender and captain next season, some old fart by the name of Craig Moore. Some may remember him for taking a pen against Croatia in the World Cup, the level the game 1-1.

Will be interesting to see what he does now he got axed by Newcaste, his probably still good enough to get a contract at another top flight European club if he wanted.

Cloete

International Captain
Roy Keane's after him apparently.

Good 3-1 win against Iran for the Olyroos though. If we draw in Jordan we're through to the next phase.

Cloete

International Captain
Anyone think that Wellington Phoenix will be any less **** than the New Zealand Shights (sic.)
Nah signed some good players already and with Ricki in charge they'll be quite good IMO.

I'm very excited about these two Brazilians. One's in the Fred mould who's apparently a great passer with some vision. The other one's played alot of Brazilian top flight football and a season at Twente. Played in the Brazilian under 18's alot and has even won a cap for Brazil. Think he's awesome at free kicks becuase he scored alot of goals for Twente at left fullback/left wing.

Aloisi, Dodd, Johnson, Paston, Lia, Coveny and Ferrante are all good signings as well IMO.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
There player roster has always looked good on paper really, its just they have never preformed. The key will be Ricki as coach and well i still reckon they need to sign some more All Whites. I heard a lot players that played for them, haven't always enjoyed the lifestyle there for what ever reasons. Don't know why when i went to Auckland it wasn't much different from Sydney or any of the other major cities in Australia. I guess for alot of their European players they signed it isn' resort style lifestyle that Brisbane and Sydney are. For Australian they stay in Australia to be close to their family and by playing for Wellington or Knights it kinded of defeated that purpose really. So all in all i reckon they should try and sign some more All Whites, as you want have the homesick aspect and you should get a great passion to play for you home team.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Just noticed the Australian sqaud was announced for Uruguay. Very lightweight squad with so many players injuried or rested.

Daniel Allsopp, Michael Beauchamp, Mark Bridge, Nick Carle, David Carney, Simon Colosimo, Jason Culina, Brett Emerton, Adam Federici, Ryan Griffiths, Brett Holman, Brad Jones, Patrick Kisnorbo, Scott McDonald, Lucas Neill, Jade North, Mile Sterjovski, Matthew Spiranovic, Shane Stefanutto, Michael Thwaite, Archie Thompson, Carl Valeri, Luke Wilkshire.

The battle between the two young keeper should be interesting. Spiranovic gets a call up, hopefully he gets on the field. I would expect Kisnorbo, Neill and Beauchamp to start in a back three, with Emerton playing wide on the right and i guess Stefanutto and the left. The interesting selection will be who will fell Grella role. Valeri would be favorite, but with so many forwards in the squad i wouldn't be surprised if they pick Holman, MacDonald and Sterjovski as a front three, with Holman and Sterjovski playing deeper and Wilkshire playing in a holding role.

I reckon we will lose 2-1.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
u r gay going full strength for revenge or?
Yeah, they got qualifiers or the Copa or something coming up. They only played two games this year also, so they had no issues with European clubs. Also i think its the first time or something they have had all European squad, but maybe misread it and it just said all their European player back.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon we will lose 2-1.
Fair predication.

Looks like the youngsters played ok with a few guys securing a spot in the Asian Cup squad. Holman, MacDonald, Valeri and Kisnorbo probably did enough to warrant a spot in the squad. Jones probably showed enough promise to get in the squad, but his probably given Adam Federici first run at the number 2 spot, after that shocker in to let the 2nd goal in. Decent hit out all round really.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If the 'roos can play like they did last night, except with Viduka, Grella, Cahill, Kewell, Bresciano and Schwarzer back in the team, there should be no reason why we can't win the Asian Cup.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Is the Asian Championship generating much of a buzz over in Oz? I have to be honest & say I've never really paid too much attention before (couldn't even tell you who the reigning champs are) but will keep an eye out now the 'Roos are involved.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Is the Asian Championship generating much of a buzz over in Oz? I have to be honest & say I've never really paid too much attention before (couldn't even tell you who the reigning champs are) but will keep an eye out now the 'Roos are involved.
Nope and it wont unless Kewell, Cahill and others are fit. Its not often Australia play matches in Australia with a side close to full strength and the Uruguray match hardly got a mention on TV. The Asian Cup will just get swamped by coverage of AFL and League. Mind you Wallabies are having the same problems. You might get some coverage after the group stages, presuming we make it past.

Japan the defending champs for the last two cups from memory.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nope and it wont unless Kewell, Cahill and others are fit. Its not often Australia play matches in Australia with a side close to full strength and the Uruguray match hardly got a mention on TV. The Asian Cup will just get swamped by coverage of AFL and League. Mind you Wallabies are having the same problems. You might get some coverage after the group stages, presuming we make it past.

Japan the defending champs for the last two cups from memory.
Weird. & yet (judging by CW) the WC seemed a fairly big deal down there.