• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Keenan is an interesting one, couldnt cut it at Chelsea and has been unable to crack the Willem II side on a regular basis, i hope he isnt being paid too much though...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
chaminda00 said:
- Fred...should have been signed to a long term contract really
In Melbourne's defence, they weren't really to know whom was the best of the Brazilian, and I'd doubt that a long term contract would have lured them over here in the first place - they wouldn't have liked to have been locked in when it was such a risky trip for them. And Melbourne were trying to ink Fred for three years as soon as the season finished.

Funny though how well he played the media over here, talking about how he'd like to stay here and qualify, get Australian citizenship, etc. so that he can play for the Socceroos. Then two weeks after the granny he's gone!

Cloete

International Captain
He was on atleast a 2 year contract so Melbourne wouldn't have got bad money for him. Which is good news for Australian football IMO. Still, the guy was a gun.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Have any of you guys heard much about the young Newcastle United Striker, James Troisi. Just got called up the the Under 23s squad to play Saudi Arabia. Interesting they bring back all the European players for the home tie, but they don't play them in the away tie, which will be a lot harder to win. I think that decison might cost them in the long run, really need a full strength side to qualify.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
He was on atleast a 2 year contract so Melbourne wouldn't have got bad money for him. Which is good news for Australian football IMO. Still, the guy was a gun.
Was he though? I thought Melbourne were trying to "get rid of him" quickly, as such, because if they gave him to the USA side by a certain date, he'd still be under contract and they'd get a fee of sorts. But they wouldn't get a fee if they waited for a bit - i.e. his contract ran out...

Simon

Was he though? I thought Melbourne were trying to "get rid of him" quickly, as such, because if they gave him to the USA side by a certain date, he'd still be under contract and they'd get a fee of sorts. But they wouldn't get a fee if they waited for a bit - i.e. his contract ran out...
if a player is within a certain time of the end of their contract they become a free agent and can move anywhere for free, id say they would have been able to keep him for a few months longer but then they would have gotten nothing for him...

Simon

Have any of you guys heard much about the young Newcastle United Striker, James Troisi. Just got called up the the Under 23s squad to play Saudi Arabia. Interesting they bring back all the European players for the home tie, but they don't play them in the away tie, which will be a lot harder to win. I think that decison might cost them in the long run, really need a full strength side to qualify.
Id be lying if i said ive heard of him, be interesting to see how he goes though...

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Thought you might be interested in how Shane Stefanutto is doing (seeing as someone actually rates him...) Played 90 minutes as left back in Lillestrøm's 3-0-mauling of Fredrikstad. Didn't do much, a couple of decent crosses which didn't end in finishes. Local paper gave him 5 out of 10.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
if a player is within a certain time of the end of their contract they become a free agent and can move anywhere for free, id say they would have been able to keep him for a few months longer but then they would have gotten nothing for him...
Do those rules actually apply throughout the world then?

Because there's some countries in Europe (basically the non-EU ones) where the free movement at expiry doesn't yet exist.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Fred was contracted until the end of June I think. MLS started last week so DC United obviously wanted him over there straightaway. Melbourne did their chest beating in the media about not releasing him until the end of his contract before coming to the realisation he was not going to accept a new deal to stay and meekly accepted a nominal fee - probably a signed photo of the great Bruce Arena or similiar - to release him from the last month or two of his deal.

Simon

Do those rules actually apply throughout the world then?

Because there's some countries in Europe (basically the non-EU ones) where the free movement at expiry doesn't yet exist.
pretty sure they do here at least, although i do believe there are even stricter restrictions on on A League clubs buying and signing players from other A League clubs, Australian sporting fans seem to attatch themselves to loyal players etc... and the A League made it clear they'd like to see players stay with their existing clubs where possible...

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
- Fred...should have been signed to a long term contract really
- Joseph Keenan...we'll see, doubt he will be anything special and don't they have Alessandro(sp) down the left hand side of defence
- Sarkies....a bit suprised that Victory let him leave after Fred left. You would have thought he would be their best possible replacement for him. With all the fringe players leaving one expects there will be a big name attacking midfielder signing for them. They have already brought in two defenders and they don't need any new forwards, maybe some back up
Melbourne have just signed Matthew Kemp from Adelaide. They've really bolstered the back half looking toward the champs league - plenty of quality and depth defensively now.

With Fred and Sarkies leaving they only have Thompson, Allsopp and Caceres as genuine attacking players left. I think they have 3 spots left open, you'd expect they will be after a quality AM from overseas and a cheap back up AM and striker from the AIS/Local leagues/A-League transfer pool.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
They already got the back up striker in Robinson. Lia might fill one of those spots, but they will be looking to sign a big name AM. Aparently they are looking to lure one over from the guys playing in the ACL.

Simon

Sydney FC are likely to be playing tomorrow now after Rain washed out their ACL game tonight...

Adelaide are doing ok at the moment, think this game might end in a draw...

Simon

Adelaide have stuffed this, they had the game in the bag at 2-0, great game though, hugely entertaining...

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Bump! :p

Sydney appear to be in a bit of a pickle now. Need to win against Urawa Red Diamonds in Japan. Could be tricky.

I suppose the Aussie clubs will always be a bit disadvantaged due to out of season games and the sheer fact of geography keeping them away from the Qatari and Iraqi sides, but it still looks like a disappointing debut.