• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's an Attacking Midfielder. :p

Seriously though, so glad i've managed to see him play in an Aus shirt, became one of my favourite players after that Japan game.

luffy

International Captain
He's an Attacking Midfielder. :p

Seriously though, so glad i've managed to see him play in an Aus shirt, became one of my favourite players after that Japan game.
Same thing, yeah he's my favourite player since that match, and since i started supporting Everton.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
As predicted by many here it look like John Filan wont be able to find a club in the A-League, with no clubs looking for keepers. Interesting that his considering taking up coaching, im sure there would be a few coach looking for keeping coach with a lot of young keepers in the league. I guess if he takes that option and his preference to live in Sydney, Central Coast is an option.

China have also named a full strength squad to play Australia, with their four European players coming back. I think this might be Dong Fangzhuo, international debut. He plays for Man Utd so i'll be watching him play pretty closey. Got some fairly big raps on him, i thought we just signed him to increase our Chinese market, when i first heard he signed. His also expected to be on the bench for Man Utd next game.

Mixed reports so far in NZ bid to keep the last spot. In the NZ Hearld yesterday they said they got the spot confirmed. But there is yet to be an official word from FFA, so it looks like they might confirm it next week. Even though there is a lot of talk from North Queensland and a few other potential consortiums. I doubt any of the others would really be ready by next year.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Well it was announced yesterday that NZ will keep their spot in the A-League, through a Wellington based team. Any idea what they will be called and where they will play? Is there still a team in NZ National League called Team Wellington? Please don't tell me thats what they are going to be called.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Probably cus they have already made it clear that their main focus will be to get All White players. There weren't too many All White players at the Knights. So i guess the players feel unwanted. Also someone of them are quite settled in Aukland. It also looks like the current All Whites coach is going to coach them, also he was last Knights coach, so that could play a big part.

Also Simon Colosimo and Carl Valeri have been called into the Australian squad to play China for Vince Grella and Jason Culina. Also Danny Allsopp has been placed on standby for Mark Viduka. So it looks like Colosimo and Veleri will be fighting for Vince Grella holding role infront of the defenders, with Luke Wilshere likely to get Culina spot. Also means that Nick Carle got more chance of getting a start.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Was impressed with Carl Valeri, Brett Holman and Shane Stefanutto. Brett Holman for me has jumped ahead of John Aloisi, a very good performance and with his extra speed he fits well into that role behind Viduka.

Carl Valeri has bascially cemented a spot in the Asia Cup squad as backup to Grella. Its such an important role for us with our formation and if Grella is injured we need a like for like replacement. Guys like Skoko, Wilshere, Culina and others can play similar roles but they are all better further up the field.

Looks like we also have a decent replacement for Chipperfield in Stefanutto, he surprised me with his effectiveness as a winger. He does seem to have some issues at the back though and was found out occasionally in the 2nd half.

The defence looks ok but in the 2nd half Neill saved their bacon a fair bit. I think guys like Beauchamp and Kisnorbo will be able to develop nicely as long as Moore or Neill are next to them. But will struggle a lot if they aren't in the side.

Overall if we play that style of football in the Asia Cup, i can't see us getting beaten. The way Arnold got us to play against Ghana and now China, he is really starting to develop as a coach. If he ever gets a chance coaching overseas in Europe or something, i think he could be a ever good coach for us in the future.

Cloete

International Captain
Few interesting things:

Fox Sports said:
Fred set for DC debut

From correspondents in Washington
March 30, 2007

BRAZIL playmaker Fred, a star of Melbourne Victory' A-League triumph, has signed with DC United, the Major League Soccer club announced today (AEST).

Helbert Frederico Carreiro da Silva, a 27-year-old midfield player, is training with United in Mexico for Tuesday's North American Champions Cup second-leg match at Chivas of Guadalajara. The first-leg finished 1-1.

"Fred has terrific athletic and technical qualities and has proven to be a dynamic attacking player. He will be an excellent fit with our style of play," said United technical director Dave Kasper.

Fred, no relation to the Brazil midfielder of the same nickname who plays for France's Lyon, shared the A-League's most valuable player award.

Agence France-Presse
A-League said:
Sarkies joins United
Friday, 30 March, 2007 - 8:31PM

Olyroos midfielder and premiership/championship player with the Melbourne Victory, Kristian Sarkies has signed a one-year contract with Hyundai A-League side Adelaide United FC.

The 20-year-old is one of the rising stars of the competition, and after playing 18 games for seven starts with the Victory in the 2006/07, has made the move to United in search of more opportunities.

A livewire up forward, Sarkies is a dangerous attacking option from set and will play along side other young guns such as Nathan Burns and Bruce Djite next season.

Adelaide United CEO Michael Petrillo said the signing is a boon for his club.

“We are very happy that Kristian has agreed to terms," Petrillo said.

"We look forward to seeing Kristian developing his potential at our club and we’re sure that he will add an exciting and skilful dimension to our team and is certain to be a crowd pleaser,” Petrillo said.

“He is another piece of our objective to revitalise our playing group with young and exciting players.”

The club has also secured the services of Djite for the next two years.
A-League said:
New signing for Victory
Friday, 30 March, 2007 - 5:14PM

Melbourne Victory has signed former Chelsea left wing back Joseph Keenan for two years as the club prepares to defend its Hyundai A-League title.

After coming up through Chelsea's youth academy, Keenan made his first-team debut in 2002 against Aston Villa and played one more game for the club before a badly broken leg cut his career with the current English Premier League champion short.

The Englishman was then loaned to Dutch Eredivisie side Willem II before signing a two-year deal to stay at the club in 2006.

Victory Coach Ernie Merrick believes that the signing will be a boon for the club as it prepares for next season's title defence.

"Joseph fits the profile that we've been looking for when recruiting players for the club," Merrick said.

"He's in his early twenties; he's technically highly skilled, fast and has a great work ethic."

"His pedigree speaks for itself and his attitude towards moving to Australia and competing in the Hyundai A-League is a very positive one. He considers this as a good career choice and we're very fortunate to have a player of Joseph's calibre joining what is forming as a very strong squad."
Queensland Roar said:
Vidosic to sign for Bundesliga outfit
Thursday, 22 March, 2007 - 4:28PM

QUEENSLAND Roar have agreed to release young striker Dario Vidosic from the second year of his two-year contract so he can pursue his dream of playing in Europe and sign for German Bundesliga side FC Nurnberg.

19-year-old Vidosic, who netted five times for Roar in his debut season, impressed Coach Hans Meyer during his two-week trial and was offered a three-year contract by the German club who already have a number of Australians on their books.

Vidosic jetted back into Queensland yesterday and said he was sad to be leaving Queensland Roar but excited for the future.

“Firstly, I want to thank Queensland Roar for allowing this deal to go ahead and for giving me the opportunity to play in the Hyundai A-League in the first place. Naturally I’m sad to leave, but opportunities like this don’t come along every day,” he said.

“I would not have considered moving unless the club interested in me was a top club, and that’s what FC Nurnberg is. It’s always been my dream to play in Europe and I’m very excited about this chance to test myself against top European players.

“During my trial it was a hectic week for the club in the sense that it was a full-on mid-season training week. I was with the first-team the whole time and I felt like I made the transition to this level of football very comfortably, as well as improving my game in the short time I was there. After just the third session they told me that they were interested in bringing me to the club.

“I played in an eleven versus eleven training games against full international players and that was a great experience. I was told I did well in those games and that was a great confidence boost for me.

“I turn 20 next month and I feel I’m at a good age to go over there. I’m still learning of course and Nurnberg have an excellent record of developing young players. They have experienced coaching staff, a good environment and top-class players. They’re having a good season too and the possibility of them making the UEFA Cup next season is very real.”

Following talks between the two clubs a structured, appearance-based deal was agreed for the youngster who exploded onto the Hyundai A-League scene last season. Roar management would not reveal details of the transfer, but CEO Lawrence Oudendyk said the club was “very satisfied” with the outcome of the negotiations.

Queensland Roar Coach Frank Farina, while disappointed to lose such a promising player, wished Vidosic well for the future.

“Of course it’s a blow to lose an up and coming player like Dario Vidosic, but there is no way we would stand in his way when he has an opportunity like this. Dario leaves with the best wishes of everyone at the club and I’m sure we’ll all be following his progress in Germany,” Farina said.

“His departure creates opportunities for other young players at the club and I’m sure the likes of Chris Grossman, Robbie Kruse and Tahj Minniecon will all be looking to replace him in the team,” he added.
Well...!

Cloete

International Captain
Did the Roar get a fee for Vidosic or just a free?
Article said:
Following talks between the two clubs a structured, appearance-based deal was agreed for the youngster who exploded onto the Hyundai A-League scene last season. Roar management would not reveal details of the transfer, but CEO Lawrence Oudendyk said the club was “very satisfied” with the outcome of the negotiations.
Also:

TWG said:
McDonald: Move is a 'dream' - PA Sport

Scott McDonald admits his transfer to Celtic is a 'dream come true' after the Parkhead giants confirmed the Motherwell striker will join them in July.

The 23-year-old Australia international will remain at Fir Park for the rest of the season before officially joining Celtic on July 1, 2007.

McDonald, who was the subject of a failed bid by Rangers at the end of January, has signed a three-year contract with Celtic, with the club having the option of a further year.

He told www.celticfc.net: "I'm delighted and it's a dream come true for me."

"I'm now looking forward to pulling on my boots as a Celtic player from July."

"It's a great day for the whole family."

"My dad's side of the family are all massive Celtic fans and I was brought up in Australia as a Celtic supporter as well."

"They still haven't come back down to earth since I told them the news."

"It will take a while to sink in, but they can't wait to see me pull on the green and white Hoops for the first time."

It will be McDonald's second spell under Celtic boss Gordon Strachan, after they worked together at Southampton.

McDonald said: "It will be a great challenge for me at Celtic."

"There are a lot of quality players at this club but I'm willing to fight for my place."

McDonald, who will play for the Fir Park side against Dunfermline on the weekend, is hoping to leave the Lanarkshire club on a high.

He said: "I will always have great memories of my time at Motherwell and I'd like to thank the people at the club for everything they've done for me over the last three years."

"I've enjoyed my time at Fir Park immensely and I've made a lot of good friends at the club."

"During the time I have left at Motherwell, I will try to be as professional as possible and score as many goals as I can."

Cloete

International Captain
TWG said:
Spiranovic picks Australia - SBS

Teenage central defender Matthew Spiranovic has pledged his future to the Australian national team, rejecting an approach to play for the country of his parents, Croatia.

SBS understands that Socceroos coach Graham Arnold was informed of Spiranovic's decision by phone and now appears certain to offer the former U-17 and current U-20 international his first senior cap in June - when Australia hosts Uruguay in Sydney and Argentina in Melbourne.

On Tuesday, Arnold was contemplating losing another player to Croatia - which has poached goalkeeper Joey Didulica, defender Josip Simunic and midfielder Anthony Seric - in the past 10 years.

"There's no doubt we're in danger of losing him," Arnold told The Age.

"His parents have been getting all sorts of phone calls in the middle of the night from Croatia. Here's a kid who has played for us at youth level, he's been through the AIS, he's played all his junior football as an Australian, and now he's under real pressure to change sides."

"Matthew's a central defender, a position where we're light on, and he's got a big role to play in the 2010 World Cup."

But Arnold will be very pleased with the positive outcome this time around.

Spiranovic, 18, is a graduate of the Australian Institute of Sport and is now playing his trade in the German Bundesliga with FC Nurnberg.

He recently broke in to the first team where he lines up in defence alongside Socceroo Michael Beauchamp.
What a legend. Gun player too. Gonna be so good for Aus :D

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
shame hes gone to Germany, he was linked to PSV a few months ago and we were very keen for him to join...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
- Fred...should have been signed to a long term contract really
- Joseph Keenan...we'll see, doubt he will be anything special and don't they have Alessandro(sp) down the left hand side of defence
- Sarkies....a bit suprised that Victory let him leave after Fred left. You would have thought he would be their best possible replacement for him. With all the fringe players leaving one expects there will be a big name attacking midfielder signing for them. They have already brought in two defenders and they don't need any new forwards, maybe some back up
- Vidosic...FC Nurnberg the new Leeds United, they seem to love their Australia players
- MacDonald...Good move for him if he gets a starting spot as he will be playing in the Champions League for atleast a couple games a season
- Spiranovic...well his a gun, surprised he hasn't been playing for the Olyroos really

Also no one mention the Olyroos beat Saudi Arabia at home early this week. Gets them back on track for the quailfiers.