• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

Cloete

International Captain
Olyroos (U23s) drew with Iran 0-0 away from home in Tehran. Pretty good result in Tehran, as it a hard place to travel to. Also looks like a very strong squad paper. David Williams and Nick Ward the only two overseas players who made the trip back, so we could be stronger when the European season finishes. In the other match in the group Saudi Arabia beat Jordon 1-0 at home. Olyroos next match is in Adelaide on the 14th.
That's an excellent result. We need to win every home match here though and beat Jordan away. Should set us up well.

luffy

International Captain
A bit surprised we didn't beat Iran tbh. But the fact that it is a hard place to play, give's them a bit of credit.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Iran are actually a pretty good side at U23 level and national level for that matter. They were seeded first for this group ahead of Saudi Arabia. Many reckon they are the 4th best side in Asia now, due to the fact they have a couple players in Europe. They are actually ranked 1st in Asia, after the Socceroos lose to Denmark.

speirz

State Vice-Captain
Australia are playing friendlies against China (Mar 24) and possibly Saudi Arabia (Mar 27)

Also I got tickets to see Australia v Argentina:happy:

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Timmy Cahill looks to be out of the Asian Cup after breaking his foot for Everton overnight, pretty terrible news for us really.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Read in the Daily Terror today that Sydney FC are looking to sign Terry Sheringham to the club. Apparently we offered 1.2 mil to his signature. Don't think it would be the best move, his still pretty good player, but i think they would be better trying to fill holes in our squad before looking to sign a marquee player. Also its not as if the club has a massive amount of money to spend, even if we get past the group stages in the ACL.

Just read on fox sports website that Central Coast are looking to sign Dwight Yorke up, interesting...

Cloete

International Captain
Read in the Daily Terror today that Sydney FC are looking to sign Terry Sheringham to the club. Apparently we offered 1.2 mil to his signature. Don't think it would be the best move, his still pretty good player, but i think they would be better trying to fill holes in our squad before looking to sign a marquee player. Also its not as if the club has a massive amount of money to spend, even if we get past the group stages in the ACL.

Just read on fox sports website that Central Coast are looking to sign Dwight Yorke up, interesting...
Who's Terry Sheringham? ;)

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sheringham would be ok i guess, he's pretty well known because of his Man Utd links so he will get bum's on seats in Sydney which is really all this move is about, from a footballing point of view he hardly warrants a spot in a Sydney starting team at this stage of his career.

Craig

World Traveller
Timmy Cahill looks to be out of the Asian Cup after breaking his foot for Everton overnight, pretty terrible news for us really.
Out for the season.

Ouch, David Moyes isn't the only one thinking that.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sheringham would be ok i guess, he's pretty well known because of his Man Utd links so he will get bum's on seats in Sydney which is really all this move is about, from a footballing point of view he hardly warrants a spot in a Sydney starting team at this stage of his career.
He's still playing in the Premiership at 40+, can't be falling off that badly tbh.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Interesting. It's always good to have a team to hate & Sydney are really holding their hands up with Teddy.

He's still playing in the Premiership at 40+, can't be falling off that badly tbh.
Hasn't played for quite a while now, TBF.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hasn't played for quite a while now, TBF.
Guess with Zamora, Tevez, Harewood ahead of him he wasn't going to get many games.
Would probably be best to sign him on a Romario-esque contract to see if he's going to be any good.

Craig

World Traveller
Liverpoo have snapped up Sydney FC goalkeeper Dean Bouzanis but is on loan back at Sydney for the time, he is only 16 so to be given a chance at Liverpool suggests he has something going for him.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Liverpoo have snapped up Sydney FC goalkeeper Dean Bouzanis but is on loan back at Sydney for the time, he is only 16 so to be given a chance at Liverpool suggests he has something going for him.
He was always a Liverpool player, we signed him in loan to start off with. Hopefully for Liverpool benefit their is some youth league next season, as he would have got more games playing Liverpool U19s then he will at Sydney FC next season. His not even the 2nd choice keeper at present.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Sydney FC won their first ever AFC Champions League match against Chinese side Shanghai Shenhua 2-1, with goals to Corica and Talay. Urawa Reds won their match against minnows Persik Kediri 3-0. Looks like the Matchday 2 game at Aussie against Reds could be massive for our chances, i think only the top team make it through.

An own goal from Michael Valkanis meant Adelaide United lost to Shandong Luneng 1-0.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Super goals from both Corica and Talay... Great win by Sydney, really puts them in a good spot especially if they can beat Urawa Red Diamonds next round.. Tharmi, you going to the game?? Im hoping to get out there, we should meet up if you go..

Was impressed with Adelaide as well, they really just didnt have the midfield to do the job.. Bruce Djite impressed me immensley.. I think he is definatley one for the future.. The Chinese defenders struggled to contain him all night...