• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
he did score like 6 goals in the first 7 games as is, but given his track record you could be forgiven for thinking he'd be giving back some of those points in the form of red cards...

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Midfielder he was. Ah well.

Marc should have heard of Tony Vidmar and Paul Okon i'd have thought.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Some interesting transfer news lately. Greg Owens has walked out on the Reds and returned to Newcastle to be with his expecting girlfriend, looks like Central Coast are favorities to sign him.

Michael Ferrante has been realesed by Victory which was kind of expected as his on pretty good wages for a bench player. Interesting article about the need for filter clubs in the State Leagues. It would be nice if they had filter clubs as well as a youth league, or maybe that filter club could act as both.

Lastly Perth Glory are eyeing off Pierre van Hooijdonk as a guest player for next season. Intersting signing it would be but IMO as i think guest players don't achieve much but a couple extra thousand in the stands for those matches. Better off spending that money on half decent overseas player or bring back a Socceroo.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Van Hooijdonk used to be a solid player. Destroyed Scotland for a season then did well in the Premiership and WC until he went on strike at Notts Forest, but i can't remember why he did it.

Simon

he's not even that well known in Australia outside of people who have actually followed football for a while so im not sure if its going to be all that effective...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Paul Agostino signs for Adelaide United. Its been talked about for a couple seasons, but i think he still felt he had something to owe to 1860 Munich, where he played for about a decade. Will be interesting to see how a good a player he is now, might solve their goal scoring problem when Qu not fit or doesn't resign.

Who do you guys think is the next player to come back, Clayton Zane? one of those guys in Scotland, Danny Innvincable(sp) or Scott Lovell. Maybe someone like Steve Laybutt, Hayden Foxe.

Simon

fair call on Laybutt, craig moore perhaps too, he still hasnt got a contract for next season.

Cloete

International Captain
BBC Football said:
Filan set for summer Wigan exit

Veteran Wigan goalkeeper John Filan will return home to Australia at the end of the season.

The 37-year-old former Cambridge United, Coventry and Blackburn keeper has been at Wigan since December 2001 but is out of contract in June.

"I am negotiating on a house at the moment, so we are going to go back to Australia," Filan said.

"If I can first help the club get as high up the league as possible then that would be a great finish for me."

Filan, who has been playing in the UK for 14 years, is considering extending his career back in Australia.

"It is one of the options," he added. "We all know how quickly things can change in the game, but that's my mindset."
Interesting. Think he can make any of the teams :-O

Simon

It says Filan wants to return to live in Sydney, with that in mind he isnt as good as Clint Bolton or Danny Vukovic (If he were to play for the coast). I think his best chance of getting a game would probably be with Perth or NZ.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Olyroos (U23s) drew with Iran 0-0 away from home in Tehran. Pretty good result in Tehran, as it a hard place to travel to. Also looks like a very strong squad paper. David Williams and Nick Ward the only two overseas players who made the trip back, so we could be stronger when the European season finishes. In the other match in the group Saudi Arabia beat Jordon 1-0 at home. Olyroos next match is in Adelaide on the 14th.