• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
great last 20 minutes, in all honesty Jets deserve to be hosting the grand final given their season. It's good for the League that the Melbourne came through, the competition will only continue to grow if Sydney and Melbourne are successful...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Squad to play Denmark:

John Aloisi (Alaves, Spain), Tim Cahill (Everton, England), Scott Chipperfield (Basel, Switzerland), Brett Emerton (Blackburn Rovers, England), Vince Grella (Parma, Italy), Ryan Griffiths (AFC Rapid Bucuresti, Romania), Brett Holman (NEC Nijmegen, Netherlands), Patrick Kisnorbo (Leicester City, England), Michael Petkovic (Sivasspor, Turkey), Josip Skoko (Wigan, England), Mile Sterjovski (Basel, Switzerland), Michael Thwaite (TS Wisla Krakow, Poland), Mark Viduka (Middlesbrough, England), Jacob Burns, Jon McKain, Shane Stefenutto, Brad Jones

On Stand By: Neil Kilkenny, Nick Ward and James Wesolowkski

Should be an interesting line up with so many players ruled out. A bit surprised that all three Olyroos weren't just put into the squad. Should be a very good test of our depth, most likely going to show our lack of depth really.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
great last 20 minutes, in all honesty Jets deserve to be hosting the grand final given their season. It's good for the League that the Melbourne came through, the competition will only continue to grow if Sydney and Melbourne are successful...
Looking forward to another 50k plus crowd at The Dome in two weeks, should be massive. As much as i hate to see Melbourne do well its good for the league. A big day for Football in two weeks, but it probably go under the radar a little bit, due to the lack of free to air coverage and focus on Cricket ATM.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Squad to play Denmark:

John Aloisi (Alaves, Spain), Tim Cahill (Everton, England), Scott Chipperfield (Basel, Switzerland), Brett Emerton (Blackburn Rovers, England), Vince Grella (Parma, Italy), Ryan Griffiths (AFC Rapid Bucuresti, Romania), Brett Holman (NEC Nijmegen, Netherlands), Patrick Kisnorbo (Leicester City, England), Michael Petkovic (Sivasspor, Turkey), Josip Skoko (Wigan, England), Mile Sterjovski (Basel, Switzerland), Michael Thwaite (TS Wisla Krakow, Poland), Mark Viduka (Middlesbrough, England), Jacob Burns, Jon McKain, Shane Stefenutto, Brad Jones

On Stand By: Neil Kilkenny, Nick Ward and James Wesolowkski

Should be an interesting line up with so many players ruled out. A bit surprised that all three Olyroos weren't just put into the squad. Should be a very good test of our depth, most likely going to show our lack of depth really.
Who here is going to be there?

:cool:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I wont be cus im in Australia, looking at that squad i say we will go for side like this:

GK: Michael Petkovic
RWB: Brett Emerton
CB: Patrick Kisnorbo
CB: Michael Thwaite
LWB: Scott Chipperfield
DM: Vince Grella (C)
CM: Tim Cahill
CM: Josip Skoko
RF: Brett Holman
CF: John Aloisi
LF: Mile Sterjovski

I can't see Viduka playing, but if he does he'll probably come in for Holman. With Sterjovski playing more winger role with Chipperfield playing more a central role in defence. Very light weight defence and an un-tired keeper at International level. Cahill and Grella will be the key.

Once upon a time we had so much depth down the left hand side, now we have Griffiths and Stefenutto. Lets not get started about the defence though, oh well good chance for Kisnorbo to cement a spot in a central back three. Looking at this squad, i wonder how many A-League players could be in the squad for the Asia Cup. Allosopp, Thomspon and Carle for sure, maybe Carney.

Cloete

International Captain
Who here is going to be there?

:cool:
Good man.

Bit harsh on Adeliade but I'm pleased to see Melbourne win for the sake of the A-League's global reputation. There should be clips on heaps of stations around the world of the final and they'll all show a 56,000 crowd. Newcastle and Melbourne have played by far the best football of the competition as well.

Interesting Socceroos squad, like Tharmi said, will test the (lack of) depth. Guys like Carle, Thompson, Allsopp, Carney and Spagnuolo are about on par with alot of those players for mine though. I'm still absolutely disgusted that the FFA gave Fox exclusive rights. Sure, the money's good, but if the game wants to progress we need to give everyone an opportunity to view the sport's biggest product, the Socceroos. I don't mind the A-League being shown on Fox but there should be a highlights package or 1 game a week on free to air. But Socceroos games on pay tv is just ludicrous.

Also, my hot tip is Kewell breaks his leg on the way up to the commentary box at the Denmark game.

EDIT: I can't believe Carle is only 25 though, he looks about 10 years older. But surely he has to play some more Socceroos games because he has the potential to be one of our best players.

Last edited:

Johnners

I'm still absolutely disgusted that the FFA gave Fox exclusive rights. Sure, the money's good, but if the game wants to progress we need to give everyone an opportunity to view the sport's biggest product, the Socceroos. I don't mind the A-League being shown on Fox but there should be a highlights package or 1 game a week on free to air. But Socceroos games on pay tv is just ludicrous.

Also, my hot tip is Kewell breaks his leg on the way up to the commentary box at the Denmark game.
Totally agree on the Fox issue. I for one don't have fox, and really have no way of accessing anything but a highlights from the net :(. Your not going to promote the game if your denying millions of people the privedledge of seeing the National team play just so you get a few extra $$ now, instead of reaping the benefits later.

As for Kewell, if he doesn't break his leg, he'll probably ruins his voicebox or bite his tongue off instead

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The A-League should do what the NBL does, and have a game replayed on free-to-air. It'd do well I reckon.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I got no problem with A-League matches on Fox, really only die hard fans or sports fans watch it anyway. So must excluding myself would have it for the EPL, Italty and Spain, or your die hard sports fans would have it cus they get to see 24 hours of sport.

But its a joke that Socceroos games aren't atleast replayed on free to air.

Also i don't think NBL has a game replayed on free-air, just a weekly highlights show. Which has hardly increased the profile of Basketball outside its core followers. NBL pretty much in the same boat as the A-League, most people that are going to watch it would get Fox anyway for the NBA.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The 18-man Olyroos squad for the match against Chinese Taipei is:

Leigh Broxham (Melbourne Victory), Nathan Burns (Adelaide United), Robert Cornthwaite (Adelaide United), Adam D'Apuzzo (Newcastle Jets), Spase Dilevski (Queensland Roar), Bruce Djite (Adelaide United), Ben Griffin (Queensland Roar), Ben Kennedy (Newcastle Jets), Vince Lia (Melbourne Victory), Adrian Leijer (Melbourne Victory), Mark Milligan (Sydney FC), Stuart Musialik (Newcastle Jets), Kristian Sarkies (Melbourne Victory), Nikolai Topor-Stanley (Sydney FC), Dario Vidosic (Queensland Roar), Danny Vukovic (Central Coast Mariners), David Williams (Brondby, Denmark), Ruben Zadkovich (Sydney FC)

Interesting to see only one overseas player in the squad. Considering these are quailfiers for the Olympics. Surely they should have got a couple more players back. Maybe it was it bit of club v country thing i guess.

Johnners

Ouch, that hurts... looks like we reverted to the good ol habit of wasting as many oppurtunities as possible in front of goal :(

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Not the worst result ever considering the large number of players we had out and quality of the Danish team. It does look like John Alosi days are numbered at International level. If Viduka doesn't comeback soon it might be time to give the likes of Holman, MacDonald, Kennedy (when his fit again) and Williams an extended run in the national team. As well as Allosopp and Thompson.

The real worry is the defence and keeper, might to be time to just blood Brad Jones and Nathan Cole, even if they are not playing regular football. Defence well we really do seem to rely a lot on Niell and Moore. The others look servicable at best. Should be interesting to see how we go against Uruguary and Argentina, then in the Asia Cup.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
that would be nathan coe not cole...
PSV just sold him to kobenhaven too, hopefully he gets some first team football there, the best he managed with us was to sit on the bench in a few cup games...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Also i don't think NBL has a game replayed on free-air, just a weekly highlights show. Which has hardly increased the profile of Basketball outside its core followers. NBL pretty much in the same boat as the A-League, most people that are going to watch it would get Fox anyway for the NBA.
Its a highlights show is it? That's possible better tbh.

And regarding the increasing of profile, basketball isn't currently in a nation-wide boom period of popularity. By having a weekly highlights show, or replay or something, it may be a success. I have Foxtel so I can watch the matches, but am not into the A-League bar the casual match so haven't watched much, yet there are fans of the A-League who unfortunately don't have Foxtel.

Craig

World Traveller
that would be nathan coe not cole...
PSV just sold him to kobenhaven too, hopefully he gets some first team football there, the best he managed with us was to sit on the bench in a few cup games...
Another ex-Inter player, but in Denmark of all places. Considering the clubs he has been too he must have some ability but I haven't seen him play so I don't know.

Without meaning to rile Simon up, but has anybody heard about Guus Hiddink? Facing ten months jail time for tax fraud crimes :huh: :mellow:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=407152&cc=3436

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, but the 10 months is just what the prosecutor wants. They're usually overzealous in stating what they wanted.

Like how the Russian spokesman was saying, to paraphrase, how the Dutch are also a European nation, and should be lenient.